• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Another vote for the Ruger SR9c. 17 round capacity (included) mag. Light trigger pull. Reasonable recoil. 10 round (again, included) mag for easier cc. Plenty of safety features.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I went with the XD9 for my first handgun. I checked out a lot of stuff and did a few months of research online looking at all the different choices. In the end it came down to finding something that was available and within budget in the crazy market. I had a small list of guns I was interested in. I lucked into the XD9 at an reasonable price. Fortunately, I had also found some 9mm ammo at another store. I haven't got to shoot mine yet but I'm very happy with it.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    My son researched for almost a year and bought the Springfield XD9 SC. I've bought one also and just waiting for its arrival. I like the safeties it has.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Finally got to put so e rounds through my new sr9 today. 175 rounds with no failures. I am extremely happy with my choice

Kevin57

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Indianapolis,In
    Another to checkout would be the Ruger P95 solid gun.Polymer frame light weight and comes with2 15 round magazines.Just my opinion but I love mine.:yesway:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just got a full size M&P9 with no safeties, no mag disconnect. I've been wanting one for a while and finally snagged a deal.

The ergonomics of this gun really make it comfortable. The backstraps are interchangable to help make it a comfortable grip. Very smooth gun to shoot. The stock trigger is a little gritty but I don't seem to mind.

Very nice gun IMO. I shot the XD in 9mm as well and felt that the perceived recoil was a bit more harsh but that's just my opinion.

That's what I'm saying. There is no way the XD has less recoil than the M&P as far as i'm concerned.

The reason I think the XD needs two springs on the guide rod (aka "dual progressive rate recoil system" haha) is that it has a very high and heavy slide, and therefore excessive "snap". This is the only real negative with the gun IMO. The fact that it needs a double spring is indicative of a design flaw methinks, just like the Ruger LCP. The quality is superb on the XD though. But recoil reduces accuracy, especially on rapid follow up shots, and this is why I sold my XD, and won't consider buying another until they come out with one that has a lower bore axis.

Sorry XD fans, it really is a beautiful gun, but there is no room in my collection for under performers. Recoil is my biggest peave asides from reliability.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hadn't really considered a compact until now. I was going to get a full size because I didn't plan on CC but I guess it would be nice to have a gun that could if I needed it. I like the size of the M&P 9c, the XD SC just seams a little small. Since I am looking to pay around $540 I might as well consider the XDM including the XDM 3.8" 9c which size is similar to the M&P but has a larger capacity magazine.

I will have to look into the Ruger SR9/c again as well. First impressions were not the best when holding the gun but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you plan on carrying at all, you should plan on concealment. While it is fully legal to OC, it still freaks people out, and they will call 911 MWAG in a heartbeat. Many cops will try and harass you or cuff you and confiscate your weapon out of ignorance. That is just the reality, especially after the Aurora and Sandy Hook murders.

I'm not saying you can't conceal a full size pistol, because obviously you can, and you may choose to. But shaving a couple inches off the length off the barrel and grip really makes it easier. Me personally, I carry always, even in my house, and the M&P9C with a really good IWB holster like the King Tuk helps tremendously. Plan on spending $75 at least for a good holster.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you plan on carrying at all, you should plan on concealment. While it is fully legal to OC, it still freaks people out, and they will call 911 MWAG in a heartbeat. Many cops will try and harass you or cuff you and confiscate your weapon out of ignorance. That is just the reality, especially after the Aurora and Sandy Hook murders.

I'm not saying you can't conceal a full size pistol, because obviously you can, and you may choose to. But shaving a couple inches off the length off the barrel and grip really makes it easier. Me personally, I carry always, even in my house, and the M&P9C with a really good IWB holster like the King Tuk helps tremendously. Plan on spending $75 at least for a good holster.

You, sir, are obviously a man of strong opinions. What you fail to understand is that personal perception = reality for each individual. Especially on something as personal as the choice of a personal protection weapon. You're welcome to your opinions. You are not welcome to assume you can make them my opinions. I liked my XD. My sister in law likes her M&P. I like my CZ75 better than both of them.

Ain't freedom wonderful?:draw:

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    No matter which guns you are looking at, I HIGHLY suggest you attempt to go out and shoot them before you buy. I find that many are upset when I go shooting and they try out my different pistols. I usually hear something along the lines of "Many I wish I would have purchased that caliber - It feels the exact same!" or something like "I really do like the feel of this one compared to that one." I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just suggest that you attempt to try them out before you buy. It might be a little hard in this day and age but it's totally worth it.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Great opinions on here. Don't rule out an older model pistol. There's alot of good ones out there. Go to gun shops and ask to look at and handle a bunch of different guns. I agree it's all in what's comfortable to the OP. I have small hands and it's hard to beat an older Smith and Wesson single stack 9mm as far as point and shoot. I have an XDM 9mm and it's great as well. Are you left or right handed? Do you need ambidextrous features? What type of safety do you want? There's a million choices out there and you really don't know until you handle some pistols. You can get a pistol soon without being in a rush and regretting it later.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You, sir, are obviously a man of strong opinions. What you fail to understand is that personal perception = reality for each individual. Especially on something as personal as the choice of a personal protection weapon. You're welcome to your opinions. You are not welcome to assume you can make them my opinions. I liked my XD. My sister in law likes her M&P. I like my CZ75 better than both of them.

Ain't freedom wonderful?:draw:

I take it you are offended because I pointed out that the XD has more recoil? Are you saying you disagree with that point, or that there is some other reason you like the XD best? Everyone's opinions count. Sorry if I sound over bearing, but i am interested in hearing opposing arguments. That is what this forum is for, and not to shut down others from giving their opinions.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Granted, I have not had the pleasure to use either the XD9 or the M&P 9mm. I have had my eye on the XD9.

There have been some other suggestions above about keeping an open mind as well. The first handgun I purchased was a Taurus PT917C 9mm. I love shooting it. I think the way each gun feels to you personally goes a long way to making it an enjoyable experience.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I have fired all 3 of your choices, and I had to pick one it would be the M&P. That being said, +1 for the Ruger SR9c. Affordable and dependable. The Glock didn't fit right in my hand either.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I like my CZ75 better than both of them

Went through 3 pages of this thread before I saw ^^^.

Be SURE to check the CZ's out before you drop your hard earned money...Bill.

Top Bottom