• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    In the next month I plan on buying my first real handgun. I own a Ruger 22/45 but I wanted something with some stopping power. Since my 2nd amendment rights are in jeopardy I have a strong drive to pick up a handgun before laws are changed.

At the last gun show in January I checked out many different models. I know Glocks are recommended but they just felt odd in my hand. I had narrowed it down to SA XD9 and the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. Due to price I had pretty much narrowed things down to the XD9 and the extra safety features was a plus. After some more thinking I wondered if it would be best to spend the extra coin on the M&P9. I don't plan on purchasing another handgun for many many years so I wanted to do it right from the start. I don't know if either gun is better than the other so would the extra $130 worth going with the M&P?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Don't rule out a few others unless you have tried them. The XD9 and M&P9 get good marks.

The Beretta 92FS is my favorite. (Probably around $600.)

I understand the Ruger SR9 is same design as SR45 and I am liking the SR45. (I saw the SR9 going for $409 in Terre Haute.)

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I think with a quick forum search you would be able to find out more than you ever cared to as concerns the great Glock vs. XD vs. M&P debate. In general all are good guns and all are favored by someone. You need to pick them up yourself, handle them and in the best case shoot them for comparison. The only safety that matters is the one between your ears. Don't put faith in mechanical safeties they can fail. As a person who owned 2 of the 3 above pistols I believe that it comes down to three things ultimately.

1. Grip/grip angle for comfort.

2. Trigger, each one has a severely different trigger, unless you want to get the trigger worked on later this is something that all 3 have in difference.

3. Customization. All three are prominent enough to have solid parts available for customization but some more so than others.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can do no wrong with an M&P9. I own the 9 & 9C, and carry the 9C. I recommend the 9C if you could have only one gun. It is as accurate as any full size gun, and easier to carry.

I don't know about the XD9, but I had an XD9SC, and it was about the same size as my M&P9C, but had twice the recoil.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    The walter 9mm can't be beat. The trigger pull is great easy to cc and very accurate. M&P is also a great piece.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I just bought my first 9mm and it was a Glock 19. I love it! I do agree with you, the G17 felt weird in my hand but the 19 is much more maneuverable and i like it quite a bit better. I also like the S&W SD9VE. Its a really smooth firing pistol and I like it a lot too. Just my 2 cents

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I think with a quick forum search you would be able to find out more than you ever cared to as concerns the great Glock vs. XD vs. M&P debate.

I tried searching but the search engine doesn't like short words or characters like "&" in them. I had to go page by page looking for info.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    The walter 9mm can't be beat. The trigger pull is great easy to cc and very accurate. M&P is also a great piece.

I rented a walther in 9mm recently and fell in love. Naturally they are impossible to find right now with money burning a hole in my pocket. :ugh:

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    They are all top notch guns, so I think his more important consideration is really to get full size or compact IMO. You still get higher magazine capacity and accuracy with a compact than with a mouse gun. I consider full size a better range gun, but for concealed carry a compact is far more practical.

PS, I have a Walther PPQ too, and it s real good stuff. I personally would rate the Springfield XD the lowest of the four, because of recoil, and the fact that putting a grip on with that darn grip safety in the way is next to impossible.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    XD9 out of the box a nicer pistol to shoot in my opinion.

The trigger is better due to it being a true single action pistol. The XD also has a dual progressive rate recoil system that is much smoother shooting than the M&P. I have shot both and I bought the XD.

Both are great guns you will be happy with either choice.

Parker

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon

The trigger is better due to it being a true single action pistol. The XD also has a dual progressive rate recoil system that is much smoother shooting than the M&P. I have shot both and I bought the XD.

Parker
    I agree, my xd40 subcompact shoots with reasonable recoil and not to mention very reliable

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm a Ruger fan boy. Be sure to check out their LC9, SR9C and the SR9.
    I'm very happy with my 9C and full size 9. Don't own the LC9, yet.
    LC9 approx $350.
    SR's approx $400.
    Most important thing is which one do you shoot the best?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

Parker

That is very interesting to me. I shot the M&P9 and M&P9SC side by side and the recoil was much stronger on the XD, so much so that accuracy was diminished (which is why I sold my XDSC). You are saying the opposite of the full size. While the full size may have better recoil than the SC, I find it truly hard to believe that it has less recoil than the M&P, (even though it is heavier) considering the low bore axis on the M&P, and the fact that my m&P's have less or equal recoil than even much larger and heavier pistols like the Beretta 92fs and Ruger P95.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I bought the Beretta PX4 sub compact, the feel is just perfect. Since then, I've learned about 2 other pistoals that have captured my attention. First is the Ruger SR45, someone posted that they had bought one, and after looking into it that looks really sweet. My second interest is a Glock (caliber undecided), we all know how reliable, mag availability, the are a little beefy, but I just learned you can add a carbine upper. That is really one set up I would like to have. Checkout Mechtechsyst.com for info!

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Hear a lot of good things about the M&P's. If it feels good in your hand and fits your philosphy of use, then it would be the right choice. Made in America also.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I just got a full size M&P9 with no safeties, no mag disconnect. I've been wanting one for a while and finally snagged a deal.

The ergonomics of this gun really make it comfortable. The backstraps are interchangable to help make it a comfortable grip. Very smooth gun to shoot. The stock trigger is a little gritty but I don't seem to mind.

Very nice gun IMO. I shot the XD in 9mm as well and felt that the perceived recoil was a bit more harsh but that's just my opinion.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a compact 9mm, Smith and Wesson 908. This is the second one of those that I have, the first one was stolen from me some years back. I only recently purchased a polymer frame, a KelTec P3AT to be specific.
    Unfortunately Smith no longer makes the metal frame style automatic that I speak of. I really like them. Double/Single action, de-cock/safety. I do not use the safety as the first shot if in D/A mode is a heavy long pull. A little time to get used to this type of action, but I like it. One of these days I will purchase a Glock or two, and also the new polymer Smiths, along with many, many other firearms. I do not consider myself a collector, I guess I am more of an addict.

Anyways, the best way for you to figure out what will work best FOR YOU is to get yourself to a range that rents them out. Put some rounds through a few of them and see how it works for you. Me and a friend of mine shoot frequently and we both have varying opinions about everything that we shoot. This one is dead on for me while it pulss this way for him and vice versa. There is no one firearm that will function the same for everyone.

Top Bottom