• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kfritts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I figure it can't hurt to ask.
    So I'm trying to set up an elk hunt in Colorado this fall. This means I am going to be in the market for a high powered rifle. I'm thinking maybe the 300wsm. The thing is i would really like to try one out before shelling out all the money for one. I live in New Palestine. Is there anyone that lives near that would be willing to let me take a couple of shots with their 300wsm or 300mag? I'd be willing to pay a rental fee or at least for ammo

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I lived on Colorado for 27 years and killed four bulls with my .280 Rem. Depends where you go but typically shots aren't that far 150-300 yards, so you don't need a big magnum rifle unless you just want one. I suggest 30-06 or .308 they are fun to shoot and will easily kill an elk, ammo is easy to find(normally). Good Luck!

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    You're in luck! I'm planning a family trip to Atterbury tomorrow to sight in a few new guns and was also going to bring my 300 Win Mag, Ruger M77 Mk II. I originally got it for elk hunting when I was stationed out west but things never worked out and she's been sitting since 94'. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Kfritts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I lived on Colorado for 27 years and killed four bulls with my .280 Rem. Depends where you go but typically shots aren't that far 150-300 yards, so you don't need a big magnum rifle unless you just want one. I suggest 30-06 or .308 they are fun to shoot and will easily kill an elk, ammo is easy to find(normally). Good Luck!

I originally was planning on getting a 270 Win. however a couple of the outiftters that I have contacted either don't allow it in camp or recommend against it. The 30-06 is something that I am thinking of as well.

Kfritts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    EOD - I am interested but trying to get my posts count up so that i can send a pm. What time are you going? I have some plans tomorrow but might be able to find some time.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I hunted muleys in colorado a few years ago. I bought a 300 wsm for the trip. It's a nice enough gun, but if I had to have a magnum, I wish I had bought a 300 winmag instead of the short due to ammo availability.

Truth be told, I think I would have been better off with a 308. Way easier to get ammo, cheaper to shoot, less recoil and plenty of gun for anything I was looking at.

Top Bottom