Looking for good options for double stack 9mm CC for my wife.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    Looking for quality options for double stack 9mm CC for my wife, thinking something with a safety other than trigger or grip safety. A polymer compact frame. Gonna look at S&W M&P, and Ruger SR9, and a Beretta px4 Appreciate input on these two and other options I may have overlooked

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    You hit the 2 pistols I was going to suggest for the criteria you listed, The S&W M&P 9C and the Ruger SR9C are both great guns and fit the hand and the wallet well. IMO, the Ruger will be a better fit for smaller hands. I don't have any direct experience with the Beretta PX4, so I cannot comment on that one.
    Another to consider is the CZ P-O7. The pistol has a good reputation and is about the same price.
    Good luck!

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If she has trained with pistols that have external safeties, then it looks like you are on the right track.
    I would also add the CZ 75 compact/P01 to your list. The non-decocker version has an external safety.

If she has not trained with external safeties and that's what you think she wants/needs, get her one, but make sure she clicks the safety on/off at the range several times to get used to it and ingrained in her shooting style.
    You have to train with a safety so it becomes 2nd nature

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Depending on how she carries, you might want to consider the compact instead of the full sized versions. I carry a Ruger SR9c, but the others you mentioned are good options too.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Taurus PT111 G2.

Smaller, thinner than any previously listed. Shoots well.

Decent handgun.

Just sayin'...

I second this recommendation. I have one mineself and it is a good little gun for the money. The only downside is that Taurus was offering a $50 rebate which expired on Dec. 31st.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'll throw in a CZ 2075 RAMI for consideration. Aluminum frame so it's still light, but lots more controllable than plastic. Extremely accurate, shoots and carries very nicely. Available in safety or decocker versions.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The FNS 9c has all the features you want. They come with 3 mags, and one is a 17 round for full size capacity in a small frame package.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    M&P 9C was my wife's choice, we have a 9C for rent at Parabellum if she wants to try one out. If she's serious about carrying I would also get her in some training.. At this point Parabellum has 3 classes geared toward concealed carry. I assist Aron Bright with the classes so I suppose you could call me biased but to my knowledge we've gotten nothing but rave reviews on the 101 Class and Essentials of Defensive pistol. Essentials 2 is slated to start this month and we also have a Concealed Carry league running on Sunday nights that is sold out for January. Anyone that has trained with Aron (Coach) know he's a exceptional trainer and his classes are top notch.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    M&P 9C was my wife's choice, we have a 9C for rent at Parabellum if she wants to try one out. If she's serious about carrying I would also get her in some training.. At this point Parabellum has 3 classes geared toward concealed carry. I assist Aron Bright with the classes so I suppose you could call me biased but to my knowledge we've gotten nothing but rave reviews on the 101 Class and Essentials of Defensive pistol. Essentials 2 is slated to start this month and we also have a Concealed Carry league running on Sunday nights that is sold out for January. Anyone that has trained with Aron (Coach) know he's a exceptional trainer and his classes are top notch.
    NRA Life Member NRA Basic pistol instructor / RSO
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

My wife, The OG, also chose the M&P 9c with external safety as a top pic for EDC. It's the right size frame, it's the right level of firepower, it has that external safety that gives the shooter a confidence of control. Her other EDC choice is the Shield.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'll suggest a couple of options here based on my own experience:

1) Springfield XD Mod.2: I bought one of these last year because I liked the way it looked and when I picked it up I really loved the way it felt in my hand. SOLD! (I have a weakness that way!) But this is a really soft shooting handgun and the double-stack magazine with 14 rounds has decent capacity without being too wide for smaller hands.

2) S&W M&P 9c: I have the .40 S&W version of this but I'm sure the 9mm caliber is just a nice. A bit thinner than the XD, so if that seems to be too fat for your wife to hold comfortably (a PRIMARY consideration in my view) then this might fit the need. The standard mag is 12 rounds and I have the little finger extension on mine which I really appreciate. But a smaller hand might not need it and make for a slightly smaller package. This is my first S&W semi-auto pistol and I'm really impressed with it. Mine has the Trijcon night sights which I think are an excellent upgrade for any defensive handgun.

3) S&W M&P Shield 9: I don't currently own one of these but have fired a few hundred rounds from several owned by friends and it's a great one to consider if your wife has trouble holding a larger pistol. Lower capacity single-stack magazine but there is only so much you can do to get a smaller grip.

4) Glock 36: I just throw this in because my daughter just REALLY loves this gun and shoots very well with it. Not the most popular Glock because I think they have so many models in .45 ACP that it gets lost in the confusion.

Above all, make sure your wife gets the one that SHE is most comfortable with, feels good in her hand, and that she is comfortable shooting. For me that almost certainly means staying away from any .380 ACP pistol because they are almost always "snappy" and make for uncomfortable shooting.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Take her to a range that rents them and let her do a side by side comparison. You will be able to gently steer her toward your top selections to rent, and after she has fired them she can choose what her favorites are. The S&W 9c (double stack) and Shield (single stack) are similar but fit very differently in the hands. I found I was far more accurate with the 9c but was so new to the idea of carrying that I wouldn't carry the double stack for fear that it printed. I purchased the Shield and that was ok for a time but I've grown more comfortable and better at fashionably addressing the issue of printing...so I'm wishing I had the 9c.

Either way it's a personal choice for a lady shooter, let her try a few different manufactures and let her see what works best for her. :twocents:

Top Bottom