• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Mar 9, 2011
    Would like to pick up an auto knife for every day carry now that they are legal, but pretty overwhelmed by options. I don't want to spend a ton of money (under $125 would be great). Any decent OTF knives for that? Also, not sure if I'd rather have double action or single action, so any advice there would be great as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    Be prepared for a lot of "you can't get a decent OTF for $125"...

Add another hundred and:

H&K Epidemic Automatic OTF Knife 14850 (3.44" Plain) - Blade Play

H&K Tumult OTF Automatic Knife (3.5" Black Plain) 14800BK - Blade HQ

Probably also made by Benchmade as all the other HK knives, but I have no idea for sure.

Best bet: Save for a few more weeks / months and buy quality.

(Edit: I don't own an auto, don't know that I ever will unless I become independently wealthy... I've just gleaned a lot from here from much more educated members)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks, was thinking that might be the case after doing some reading, but figured I'd check.

It's understandable!

When it was "illegal" - I really thought I wanted an auto knife. (well, truth be told, I still think I want one...maybe).

However, now that I *can* legally have one - I can't justify the price on even one of the HK knives. Many will say that Microtech are the best OTF knives on the market - and you pay for that reputation.

I think I'd rather have an OTS (out the side), though. Less complicated mechanism = less that can possibly go wrong with it. Probably more in your current price range on the OTS side of thing - but I admit I'm even less familiar with quality OTS within that price range than I am OTF.

I'm sure others will be along to tell me how wrong I am - and to set you on the right path.

-J-

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There is not a lot more I can say that Indy_Guy_77 hasn't already covered. Because of the nature of the OTF design, you just can't get a good quality (USA made with a warranty) in the price range you are looking to spend. The H&K models will be under $200, so save another $75.00 and look into those. BTW, The H&K Epidemic model is made by Benchmade, so it is USA made and has the Benchmade life time warranty.

Also, in the link below, is a post that I wrote back in June about automatic knives. This may help you understand them better.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-my-insight-automatic-switchblade-knives.html

Feel free in contacting me if you have any other questions or if I can help you in any way.

Top Bottom