• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . I'm pretty set on having a revolver due to reliability purposes. However, I wouldn't be opposed to getting an automatic if it's truly worth it.

I know the advantages of automatics: faster ROF and higher capacity magazine. However, I don't know like the possibility of it jamming.

You've gotten some very good suggestions on revolvers, however, given some of the things you said, I take it you're open to having your thinking challenged a bit.

Reliability: I would not decide between a revolver or semi-auto based solely on this factor. Modern semis are very reliable indeed (with the proper ammunition) and in some cases and under some conditions, more reliable than a revolver because their actions are more enclosed. Therefore debris has a harder time getting into the workings than it does with a revolver. The reliability issue is more complex than one might think and depends on the care of the gun in question, how it's fed, under what circumstances it's used etc. There was a time when the reliability difference between semis and revolvers was indeed a factor. However, imo, the art has developed to the point where the reliability difference between the two (if you pay attention to what you're doing) is insignificant.

A revolver can almost match the ROF of a semi for the first 5-7 rounds (depending on its capacity) depending on your level of skill. I'm sure Jerry Miculek can shoot his revolvers faster than I can shoot a semiauto. It's the increased capacity and generally faster reloading (you missed that one) that set the semiauto apart. A small revolver is often enough gun, but here are many cases where it might not be. If attacked by a couple of perps, I would not want to depend solely on a 5-shot J frame.

A lot depends on what you want it for, what you perceive as your personal risk level, etc.

I own both. I'm not anti-revolver. But I'd have to think a while to remember a personal malfunction whilst using a quality, modern semi-auto. If things get bad, having a semiauto is worth it to me.

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    The best thing about shooting revolvers(at the range) is NOT picking up the cases off the floor or ground. When I'm shooting I take an empty plastic coffee can and dump my empties right into it. In self defense that wouldn't matter, of course. All the above suggestions are VERY good, I can't add to them ,except get into reloading(re-manufacturing) your ammo. It's much easier to reload 38's and357's than the auto cartridges.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The 5 shot capacity is a limitation. You have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable with that.

I posted this in another thread, but here's my solution to the limitted capacity... There's no rule that says you only need to carry one... :ar15:

sps.jpg

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I posted this in another thread, but here's my solution to the limitted capacity... There's no rule that says you only need to carry one... :ar15:

sps.jpg

haha, nice 25. I shot one of those once and I had to slip my pinky into the trigger guard to get at it...the one I shot was a tick smaller. Kind of reminds you of the Noisy Cricket from MIB. :n00b:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    My S&W 642 is the only revolver I own, however, I would not trade it for any other gun for the role of pocket carry. In my opinion it is the perfect size to power ratio, plus it makes you feel like your some tough guy from a 50's noir film when you carry it.:D

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    +1 on the S&W model 19. I have a 2.5inch round butt and it is a great shooter. I also used to have a 686 and it was great too, but heavier. Ruger makes a good revolver also, but S&W's have a much better trigger pull IMO.

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Mosin-Nagant pistols make great paper weights, or if you tie enough of them together you have a Great boat anchor for your boat. You can't go wrong w/a Ruger 5 shot revolver, sts of course.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    The ruger sp101 will fill the bill in either 38 or 357,I carry one everywhere and it will do what you want it to do. Remember practice with whatever you carry will make the difference if stuff gets bad,not just what you are carrying.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Trigger pull in double action is very heavy on the Mosin. However mine is very accurate in single action. I can put all the rounds right between your eyes at 15 yards. Would I carry it? No. Very slow to reload and sometimes it wont fire the last round in the chamber. I like the way it feels and its fun to shoot for recreation.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Dpends on how you plan on carrying it. Something for concealed carry, I would go with a .38 snub nose. You can put it in your pocket, etc. If you plan on using a belt holster, or shoulder rig etc. I would go with a .357 mag with no smaller then a 3" barrel. My :twocents:

RDB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Avon
    The 442 above is a great choice, the S&W 640 is the same profile , but 357 also, and my choice. Either way a great carry.

RDB

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    If you HAVE to have a revolver, a Smith & Wesson .357 is ideal. I wouldn't recommend a barrel longer than 4" for carry though. A .357 will let you use cheap .38 Spl for practice and .357 Magnum rounds for carry (more powerful than an auto).

You don't need to worry about rate of fire. Thats for hoodrats and wanna be gangstas. Only care about hitting with the first shot. Most gunfights are over with 1 shot each from the winner and loser.

If you hunt, you can use the .357 for deer also. S&W makes .357's in 4 frame sizes (J, K, L and N) For a carry gun, a 2-1/2" to 4" K frame is the choice of most people (S&W Models 19 and 66) You can find used S&W's at every gun shop and pawn shop. If you know someone who reloads, you can load your own .38's for less than a dime a round!

I'm old and cantankerous and set in my ways, but I know what I know and I hope this helps. Good luck and good shooting!

Top Bottom