• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    What company is this? I grew up just down the road from there and go visit family often. I may have to pick up one of these for my garage.
    Cant remember the name. If I remember correctly (its been about 10yrs) they use to sit on north side of US40 just outside the East side of Effingham. Let me get ahold of my cousin, she use to (may still) work there to see if they are still open and if they still sell defects to the public.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I used a solid core door and 2x4's to make my bench. I think I have around 100 in it, maybe less. If you have a door already it would be very cheep to make.
    WP_20131017_002.jpg

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    3/4" birch plywood, 2x8 on its side, and 2x4 on edge. Built mine this winter based on some internet plans and I love it. Just wish it was twice as big.

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I'm headed to Lowes in just a few minutes to pick up a door and the rest of the materials. I was planning on plywood for a back panel and a couple shelves. It has been a long time since I bought any and the price is outrageous! I'll get some OSB and add a few extra supports underneath the shelf areas.
    I'm planning on a water based polyurethane finish for the bench top as I have some in house. Any issues with that?

Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Rude surprise today while mounting my presses. I bought a solid core door from Lowes expecting a solid core! It isn't. I'm not sure what is inside but it is not wood. I have a similar door in my garage that I bought 15ish years ago for a bench top and it is solid wood with a veneer over it. I've got a heavy vise mounted to it and has been solid all these years. Drilling through it and running lag screws in are plenty solid. Without reading mounting instructions for my presses, I bought lag screws. When I drilled for them I got this paper looking shavings coming out. So, now I have to go back to the store and pick up bolts, nuts and washers. I later read the instructions and found they tell you not to use lag screws.
    So, for future reference, I can't recommend solid core doors from Lowes.

Matt

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I use those unfinished sink bases at Lowes/HomeDepot/Menards, and one of their cheap countertops. I keep my bullets in the sink base cabinets to weigh it down, and it is solid enough for my Dillon 650.

Brian

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    I have a cheap workbench from Menards with 1/2" particle board top(it may be 3/4"), but it's way too weak, it would flex with every pull of the lever. So, instead of buying a whole new top, i just re-enforced the section under the press! Two 2x4's laid flat in a T shape, long leg facing away from the loader, spread the force out over more of the table top. Stiffened it right up and only cost a few cents for the (scrap) boards and some screws.

If i were doing it all over again, I'd double up on 3/4 inch plywood, and bolt the bench to the wall.

This is the same bench I got for christmas a few years ago and never opened it up unitl last week I am getting into reloading and wanted to set it up before my press came in. Putting it together i realized how flimsy it was. Since then I have reenforced the underneath with 2x4's and 2x6's which is what my press in mounted to right now.. Seems to have gotten rid of the flex

Top Bottom