• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Ideally, I want one of those heavy laminated maple work bench tops. I have a couple buddies that said they might be able to find me one but so far no luck. I am leaning towards one of the solid core doors that Lowes sells for about $55. Not really what I want but have not found a better alternative yet.
    Any other ideas out there? I will be hanging a Crusher II and a Dillon 650 on it if that matters.

Thanks, Matt

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    I'm planning to make one out of some scrap decking and reinforce under the presses with 2x6. Got most of the materials free on craigslist

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you laminate two pieces of 3/4 plywood together with liquid nails, you will have as much strength as you can use. Cut it to final size after the glue sets up a few days, you'll be happy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    buy 2x4's and some all thread. bolt them all together TIGHT, and fill in with epoxy to make the surface flat. Use 4x4's for the legs and bolt to the wall and you will have a SOLID reloading bench.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    If you laminate two pieces of 3/4 plywood together with liquid nails, you will have as much strength as you can use. Cut it to final size after the glue sets up a few days, you'll be happy.

I used particle board-like material on top that had a veneer finish which was screwed & glued into several 2x4 that I drilled together as the "base" for the press. I screwed the whole bench into the house wall and I have zero moment issues. I think I have 100 bucks worth of material tied up in my bench. The key is to tie it into the structure of your house so you get zero moment...and use screws threw out the whole process. There have been times I have put some force on my single stage press when resizing rifle brass :)

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I used kitchen cabnet base with counter top, bolted to wall studs and floor. Strong as rock.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    buy 2x4's and some all thread. bolt them all together TIGHT, and fill in with epoxy to make the surface flat. Use 4x4's for the legs and bolt to the wall and you will have a SOLID reloading bench.

Wow Indy, you don't mess around! That would hold up a small car. It would outlast the reloader. I like how you think

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    FWI....pay close attention to secure points on your press in relation to where you will screw it in on the table. For example my first table top was heavy duty then once I bolted down the press I only used less then 6 inches from the edge. Since I built the legs and cross supports using 2×4 that was enough support to bolt down two presses. The rest of the tabl was dead weight. I went with 1/2 plywood. Returned the heavy stuff used the $$ on a new press!

20130920_094848-1_zps3f36372e.jpg

See distance from edge to top bolt. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have a cheap workbench from Menards with 1/2" particle board top(it may be 3/4"), but it's way too weak, it would flex with every pull of the lever. So, instead of buying a whole new top, i just re-enforced the section under the press! Two 2x4's laid flat in a T shape, long leg facing away from the loader, spread the force out over more of the table top. Stiffened it right up and only cost a few cents for the (scrap) boards and some screws.

If i were doing it all over again, I'd double up on 3/4 inch plywood, and bolt the bench to the wall.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It's probably smaller than what you want but I have a nice clean piece of MDF roughly 30"x20"and 1.5" thick. It's yours if you want it.

Finshed in black with a nice smooth "painted" surface on top. It was a "scrap bin" piece I brought home from work to upgrade my bench, but I since have found another bench top.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    It's probably smaller than what you want but I have a nice clean piece of MDF roughly 30"x20"and 1.5" thick. It's yours if you want it.

Finshed in black with a nice smooth "painted" surface on top. It was a "scrap bin" piece I brought home from work to upgrade my bench, but I since have found another bench top.

that at is smaller than what I want. I really want 8' as that is the space I have to fill. One of the solid doors are likely where I'll end up. I intend to get something this weekend one way or another. I looked at the tops from Menards but they are 3-4 weeks out to get an 8 footer.
    There is a guy in northern IN that sells sections of bowling alley lanes that would make a great bench top at only $12/foot but it would cost me way more in time and gas money than the top would cost.

Thanks, Matt

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I used kitchen cabnet base with counter top, bolted to wall studs and floor. Strong as rock.

This, I have a "sink" size base cabinet with wood laminate top it was used as a microwave stand. Dont need it now, if you want to drive down south it's yours free.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Top Bottom