Looking for a nice, easily concealed 9mm.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Still no LTCH, but will eventually :)

Finally moved, new address, waiting for a letter in the mail with my name/new address so I can get my new drivers license so then I can finally apply for my LTCH with all the proper information in place. Around the house and when I step out on my porch or backyard for a cigerette, I carry my fullsized 4566TSW in my Galco IWB holster. It's doable, it can be concealed, just not practicall. The gun is just too large for it to fit in positions where it doesn't obstruct my ability to use my front pocket, or if moved closer to my rear I've got the barrel obstructing my back pocket a bit. Just not the most ideal gun for IWB carry.

So, looking for something smaller, something lighter, something with higher capacity. Something between pocket pistol and smaller than what I have currently.

There have been a few things that have caught my eye when browsing online, but unsure. Trying to get a list of things I should look into so I can see if I can handle them first before deciding.

Features I'd like is:

• DA/SA. I like this feature on my 4566.
    • Hammerless wouldn't be a bad feature, especially for concealed carry.
    • I like a more slanted grip than typical. I've got an old Ruger MKI, and I love the increased grip angle. Feels great in my hand.
    • Atleast 8+1 capacity, preferably.
    • Polymer or steel, don't matter. Weight won't bother me too much either way. Want quality.
    • My budget is about $500 max, could go a little bit higher but would prefer not to. (Considering this will be my first 9mm and I'll have to spend a couple hundred on ammo too as I don't like having just one box laying around).
    • Decent warranty. Every company can produce a dud it seems. I don't want to spend a lot having to deal with getting a new gun fixed.
    • Made in the USA a plus, not needed.

On my short list is the Glock 26, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9, SA xd9 and S&W Shield. Welcome to any/all suggestions as well. Only ones I can get my hands on from this list to feel is the G26 and LC9 at the local gun shop. I don't think the other ones are there, unsure though.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I would start with a +1 on the Glock 26...I have a 27 in .40 and love it! Other than that, in 9mm....I'd suggest the S&W Shield (a friend has one and it is very accurate with moderate felt recoil) or the Springfield XSx pistol (my wife has an XDm 3.8 9mm...and she loves it a lot!!!)

Something I saw in my LGS is the new Bersa 9mm BP Concealed Carry The new Bersa felt great in the hand, it was slim, and my experience with Bersa is that it'll probably work! Price was right around $400 + tax so grab a few boxes of ammo along with it!

I've owned a Bersa Thunder .380 and never had a single functional issue with the pistol...I just grew out of the mind-set that a .380 was an acceptable personal-defense caliber!

Just my $.02 worth...Good Luck!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I suggest you research the Canik 55 c-100 imported by Tristar. It is essentially a CZ 75D/PCR with a safety instead of a decocker. You can find them online for a bit over $300. The reviews say they are every bit as good as a CZ at a bargain price. They accept CZ magazines and grips. You can buy upgrades for them through Cajun Gun Works. I am strongly considering one myself. These particular models have an alloy frame.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Beretta PX-4 Storm ... Has everything you are looking for except being "hammerless". The hammer does not protrude much tho... its almost partially concealed.

The subcompact is light, has a fantastic trigger and its design is smooth making it a good choice for conceal carry. Its a great shooter....

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Try as many as you can, but I'd be surprised if the G26 didn't win out in the end. It's just a solid little CCW.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I recommend the Glock 26, and consider the Glock 19 as well. Both are easy to carry IWB, and you *can* pocket carry a G26 in a front pocket if you have large pockets and don't mine looking like you're carrying a very fat wallet. With the G26, you can use any of the 9mm magazines with it: 10rd, 15rd, 17rd, or 33rd.

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Bersa's are always overlooked and it seems I'm the one always sending the reminder :) I've carried a dual-tone Bersa BP9cc in a Theis IWB for about a year now. I absolutely would not trade it for anything. It fits all of the typical wish list items. It's thin, lightweight, 8+1, full grip, awesome trigger and low priced. It conceals so easily even under the thinnest t-shirts. I've shot the Glock 26 and the Shield and wouldn't trade for one if they were free. The BP9cc is severely overlooked and under-rated.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Beretta PX-4 Storm ... Has everything you are looking for except being "hammerless". The hammer does not protrude much tho... its almost partially concealed.

The subcompact is light, has a fantastic trigger and its design is smooth making it a good choice for conceal carry. Its a great shooter....

Given the specifications of what you asked for, this is an excellent choice. It would probably have quality on the higher end.

You might also consider:

Bersa Thunder: Bersa 10 + 1 Round 9MM Ultra Compact Pistol w/Duo Tone Finis $415.00 SHIPS FREE
    Used CZ Rami: CZ-USA CZ2075 RAMI 9mm 14RD POLYMER $434.00 SHIPS FREE

If you save up some money, you could also shoot for a used Sig P239: Sig Sauer P239 9mm SIGLITE & 2 mags : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

If you ever feel like giving up Single Action, there are PLENTY of awesome single-stack 9mm pistols in the market now that are easy to shoot and even easier to conceal.
    If you feel like going cocked n locked with Single Action, you're a little more limited. You could try a Rock Island 9mm Compact or a Sig P938.

Best of luck and let us know what you like/find!

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sig Sauer P938! Comes in close to your target price at ZX Gun, $599! It is easily concealed in a IWB holster, mine has not been spotted yet and I carry everyday. Great control with an extended mag, still good with a standard mag. Accuracy is phenomenal for a short barrel! At 25ft I have a quarter sized group, my wife has a silver dollar grouping. If you are in my area, I will let you shoot mine and you might want to bring a box or two, its fun to shoot and not painful at all!

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    You should put the Ruger SR9C on your list to try. At $400 new I think its one of the best out there. Great out of the box trigger, low recoil accurate shooter. Quickly moved to the top of my favorite EDC.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's not DA/SA, but the Beretta Nano with the extended magazine is my go to CC pistol. It's been 100% reliable for me with any ammo, is very comfortable to shoot, reasonably priced and it's a Beretta. It's worth a strong look IMHO.

:twocents:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    You should put the Ruger SR9C on your list to try. At $400 new I think its one of the best out there. Great out of the box trigger, low recoil accurate shooter. Quickly moved to the top of my favorite EDC.

The SR9c is a nice pistol, but its not DA/SA... its DAO.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I'm going to put in another vote for the Glock 19. I carry mine daily in an Alien Gear IWB holster with no problems.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom