• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    $350 is not a bad price. Personally I don't mind the fact that the press is not auto indexing. It was a good starter progressive for me.

joed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Just ask a lot of questions before buying. I went to a reloading newsgroup and asked about Turret presses and progressives. To be honest I didn't know what the difference was between a turret and progressive when I started.

I don't dislike Lee equipment, but I think there is better stuff out there. What good is a $200 progressive if it doesn't work properly or is worn out after 2 years.

My choice would be the bigger name presses like Dillon, Hornady and RCBS.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    turret or progressive

I have a Lee turret press and it has done everything it is suppose to do. This was my first press so i did not want to spend too much money until I understood what i was doing and if I like it. The turret press hold all 3 or 4 dies but only one shell casing so you are only doing one stage for each pull of the handle. So four pulls and one completed round. I do not think you would wear our the turret press. Would not hesitate to get another one of recommend as long as you are not needing speed to reload a lot of cases per hour. I think I could do 100+ an hour. I have not heard great things about the Lee progressive presses.

So I like my Lee but just bought a Dillon. More than anything to load more rounds per hour. The progressive press will hold more that one case so for every pull of the handle you are getting four+ cases one step further toward being a completed shell. not exact but you could kind of say your are doing 4 time the work with the same effort or 4 times faster. Dillon give some estimates on how many rounds your can do in an hour.

I will keep my turret for rounds i will not load much because it is cheaper to swich calibers. If you keep an eye open you can find a used press also for a good deal. If you are close would be happy to show you both presses.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i dont see why anyone says cheaper to switch calibers.... with the dillon all you have to buy are dies, and you can buy ANY make of standard dies you wish... sure it takes a bit longer to switch out powder measures, and sure you need a 24 dollar converstion, but you dont have to buy a complete tool head and powder measure....

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I've got a lee progessive that I have been satisfied with. It does everything I expect it to do. I also got the chance to buy a dillon 650, nearly new and cheap and set up for 45, 40 and 223, which is most of my reloading.. If I ever get the time to set it up, one or the other may be for sale soon.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I used a Hornady LNL progressive before transitioning over to Dillons. Hornady is a good press, but it has it's idiosyncracies that you'll have to work around. The breech lock is a great concept, but I like Dillon's removable tool head more. The HDY powder cop is only marginally useful. You have to watch it when the press it at the top of its stroke..... there are many other things to watch when the press is operated. On the other hand, the Dillon powder sensor squeals to call you attention to powder variations.

I'll probably sell the Hornady before too long as it's taking up valuable bench space.

Mike

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I too am in the market to buy my first reloading press kit. I have been searching everywhere for good info on them. Thanks for the heads up guys. One question though. Where is a good place to find good used presses? I do not see that many here on INGO. I am looking to reload 45 colt and 454. I just dont want to put a lot of money up for my first press set up, at least not right now before christmas. Ebay seems to be higher priced than buying new from Cabelas.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I know that this'll probably draw some flack, but Lee has (or at least used to) a special program for first-time reloaders you might want to look into. They'll sell you a set-up that's been deemed a "2nd" for some cosmetic blemish at a very substantial discount. And the full factory warranty comes with it. IIWY, I'd give them a call.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I have been loading for about 4 years now just using a single stage press. I am really looking for something to help cut back on the time it takes me to load larger numbers. I guess the smart thing for me to do would just be to hold off, and save up the rest of the cash I need for the Dillon. Thanks for everyone's input !

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    i dont see why anyone says cheaper to switch calibers.... with the dillon all you have to buy are dies, and you can buy ANY make of standard dies you wish... sure it takes a bit longer to switch out powder measures, and sure you need a 24 dollar converstion, but you dont have to buy a complete tool head and powder measure....

I find your take on this technically correct (though conversion kits are $42, not $24), but practically useless. IMO, those who want to go to a progressive to save time, won't want to go through the pain of installing dies each time in a toolhead that is made to be easily removed. Then there is the powdermeasure, you'll have to reset it each time as well.

To do a "quick" change with a Dillon 550B costs about $145, the Hornady costs about $75, or almost half.

I own two 550Bs and they are great, but I'd recommend anyone new to take a look at the Hornady LNL AP if you plan on reloading several different calibers.

LoveMyCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Noblesville
    This is my first post on the forum and I want to say how much I appreciate the great information. I have owned guns for years but have recently decided to re-load for precision reasons. This topic was just perfect for a guy like me. After reading it all I think I'll be going with the Dillon 650. It seems to be a good fit for my needs. I agree that the pricing on EBAY is really poor. I think I would have better luck on Gun Broker.com.
    Thanks agian for all the great information. I look forward to enjoying the forum in the years to come. I hope I can be as informative to others soon.

Bob

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Called Lee Precision today to check in on the "First time reloader deals" or factory seconds that they had available as I am going to be a first time reloader. They said they do not offer anything of that sort at any kind of discount. They told me the first time reloader deals are those of the "kits". Namely the 50th anniversary kit they have listed. They then went on to tell me I was better of looking elsewhere for a deal on those even as they charge full retail directly from Lee. Oh well I guess I will still continue to pick up the pieces here and there from Natchez and Midway. I am getting everthing I need to start casting my own bullets and reloading. I am starting out with just a single stage press then I may upgrade later to a better press as I feel the need.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Sorry, Aaron. I misremembered the what the deal was and I apologise. Here it is quoted from the back page of Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading":

"Every company has products that are not saleable. These include customer returns, shipping damaged products, paint defects and many other production nicks and dings. No one will pay full price for damaged goods. Some companies have factory outlet stores to dispose of this otherwise usefull merchandise. Reloading companies are too small to do that, so these good and usefull products are scrapped.

I have made arrangements to help you to get someone started reloading and shooting more. John Lee, President of Lee Precision has agreed to offer this imperfect merchandise at distressed prices. Items sold will NOT be packaged for sale and MUST NOT BE RESOLD. All products will be dimensionally perfect and Lee guarantee's of accuracy, satisfaction and durability apply.

Here are the rules: To receive 60% discount off catalog list prices.

The purchase must be for someone else who is not already a reloader.

Shipments will be on an as available basis. Expect shipping delays on some items. If Lee Precision thinks it will be more than 30 days your money will be refunded at once unless you check the box."

Below this is an order form.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Claddagh,

Thanks for the info!!

I bought a few items from Midway and a ton of items from Natchez. I now have enough to get started casting my own bullets and reloading them. I will need to update some items someday but I now have enough to get started. I am going to start with a single stage press that a friend of mine gave me years ago after upgrading to a progressive. I am eager and excited to get started as soon as I get the brass and primers.

Top Bottom