• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    Hey guys, I'm on the lookout for a new handgun. I'm not exactly sure what i want but i've been doing some research. I'm pretty sure i want a 9mm. Some claim that it doesn't have the "stopping power" and i should opt for something with a bit more power, but I've been around guns long enough to know that a well placed shot with a lower power is worth an infinite more than a missed high power shot. I want the 9 because it is cheaper to shoot, and i plan on shooting quite a bit, with many rounds through the gun.

I haven't shot too many handguns, but i've been shooting rifles and shotguns my whole life. One of the most important qualities to me is accuracy. I cannot stand a gun that does not shoot where I aim. Size is not as important, but i would like to be able to carry it, but obviously i don't want a gun that sacrifices accuracy for size.

A few of the guns i have been looking at:

Kimber Tactical Pro II (Its expensive, but i really need to shoot one of theses)
    Para Ordinance Tac-Five (Not as expenisve as the Kimber, maybe a good option between the three)
    H&K USP Expert (Maybe just the USP)

What would you suggest and why? Are there others i should look into?

These are are all fairly pricey as far as handguns go, but this gun will last me forever, so it should be worth the investment.

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    zinx, I agree with you 100% about the 9mm. Great round that will do its job. Easy to find. Relatively cheap. And can be found at at any gun shop anywhere.

The first two guns you list would not be my top choices and I can get into details if you are interested. Any modern gun will last you a lifetime if you maintain it.

Here are some great carry guns I would look into if I were you

Glock 19 or 26

G19.jpg

Springfiled XD in 9mm

hs-xd-3.jpg

Smith & Wesson MP

209000_large.jpg

Hey guys, I'm on the lookout for a new handgun. I'm not exactly sure what i want but i've been doing some research. I'm pretty sure i want a 9mm. Some claim that it doesn't have the "stopping power" and i should opt for something with a bit more power, but I've been around guns long enough to know that a well placed shot with a lower power is worth an infinite more than a missed high power shot. I want the 9 because it is cheaper to shoot, and i plan on shooting quite a bit, with many rounds through the gun.

I haven't shot too many handguns, but i've been shooting rifles and shotguns my whole life. One of the most important qualities to me is accuracy. I cannot stand a gun that does not shoot where I aim. Size is not as important, but i would like to be able to carry it, but obviously i don't want a gun that sacrifices accuracy for size.

A few of the guns i have been looking at:

Kimber Tactical Pro II (Its expensive, but i really need to shoot one of theses)
    Para Ordinance Tac-Five (Not as expenisve as the Kimber, maybe a good option between the three)

What would you suggest and why? Are there others i should look into?

These are are all fairly pricey as far as handguns go, but this gun will last me forever, so it should be worth the investment.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    zinx I own both a Glock and XD in 9mm. both are great guns. I find people new to handguns especially appreciate the XD. it feels more comfortable to them. if the **** hit the fan I would rather have a glock. but thats just my opinion. either would work fine.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Hey zinx...

I would go to a local gun shop with a range and test out some guns. If this is a gun you plan to have long term, I would want to test drive a few to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

Some target ammo, a few targets and a small rental fee is cheap.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Zinx, I agree with 10ring. You need to give them a try. Pops on the east side has a bunch of rental guns and a nice range. That being said if you want a great 9mm carry gun go with a Glock 19 or 26 (smaller version)

Hey zinx...

I would go to a local gun shop with a range and test out some guns. If this is a gun you plan to have long term, I would want to test drive a few to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

Some target ammo, a few targets and a small rental fee is cheap.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Zinx,

I have a Glock 19. Its a fantastic gun. :thumbsup: I've shot about 2000-3000 rounds through mine with out a single malfunction using a variety of ammo.

I have no doubt when I press the trigger it's going to go bang.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I will always vote Glock 19 for a carry piece.

But the Sig P226 in 9mm is, I feel, more naturally accurate.

Sig%20226.jpg

Or the Sig P228 for easier concealment.

83_sig-p228.jpg

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have stated in my original thread that i won't buy a glock. I've shot a handful of them and hated them all. I've been meaning to get over to pops and try a bunch out, i just haven't had the time.

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    zinx, I agree with you 100% about the 9mm. Great round that will do its job. Easy to find. Relatively cheap. And can be found at at any gun shop anywhere.

The first two guns you list would not be my top choices and I can get into details if you are interested. Any modern gun will last you a lifetime if you maintain it.

Here are some great carry guns I would look into if I were you

Glock 19 or 26

What don't you like about the top two, i'm really leaning towards the Para.

Also, i don't necessarly want a carry piece, i was a gun that is very accurate first and foremost with the ability to carry sometimes.

oldschoolmuscle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    where the green grass grows
    get some thing that feels comfortable and naturally points well in your hand. once you find one that does that, shoot it alot and get to know it. the walther p99 i have has adjustable back straps and fits me nicely.

ps i hate how glocks feel when i shoot them as well.

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    Sigs are great. I'd love to own one but they are expensive.

I will always vote Glock 19 for a carry piece.

But the Sig P226 in 9mm is, I feel, more naturally accurate.

Sig%20226.jpg

Or the Sig P228 for easier concealment.

83_sig-p228.jpg

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    zinx have you tried the XD. Some people who despise Glocks love the way the XD feels in their hand :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have stated in my original thread that i won't buy a glock. I've shot a handful of them and hated them all. I've been meaning to get over to pops and try a bunch out, i just haven't had the time.

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    zinx have you tried the XD. Some people who despise Glocks love the way the XD feels in their hand :thumbsup:

No, i haven't. I'm trying to compile a list and then go over to shoot. It will be easier to compare if i shoot them all around the same time.

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    What does everyone think about the H&K? I really like that gun when i shot it, but my friend that owns one suggested going with the Para instead. He mentioned that it was the best handgun he has ever shot.

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    zinx, I'm just not a big fan of 1911 style pistols and have seen a number of buddies Kimbers not function well at the range. The HK is probably a good pistol but I have no experience with that so I can't comment. The problem with HK is they are on the pricey side. As someone mentioned if you hate the Glock and like the feel of a 1911 style pistol you might really like the Springfield XD. Try them all!

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    Was the HK in 9mm?

What does everyone think about the H&K? I really like that gun when i shot it, but my friend that owns one suggested going with the Para instead. He mentioned that it was the best handgun he has ever shot.

Top Bottom