Looking for a New Gun (backup and everyday carry)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoWareMan9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I'm fairly new to the world of guns (just purchased my first a little over 14 months ago)

I want something to be used as a backup weapon, or as an everyday carry, so I am looking in the area of a .380.

So far my friends have steered me towards The Walther PPK's, the Ruger LCP, and the Sig P232.

After doing some research I am leaning towards the Sig (although the Bond fan in me REALLY wants the PPK... but like I said, I am leaning towards the Sig)

Three questions :

1. What do you folks recommend? (Either between these 3 or any other models)

2. I am having a hard time finding a P232 in stock in my area (North East Indiana) Should I be looking at the P238 instead?

3. If so what are the differences between the P232 and the P238. I had one guy at a local shop tell me the P238 is just the "newer" Sig .380

Any and ALL information (and opinions) are appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I was looking at these options little over a year ago. I went with the p238. I like the fact it had usable sights and felt good in my hand. After shooting a few small .380's the Sig felt more controllable than the others.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    The primary difference is that the sig 232 is a double action pistol and the 238 is a single action only.Also for what it is worth the 232 is a proven design and the 238 is fairly new.

NoWareMan9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    The primary difference is that the sig 232 is a double action pistol and the 238 is a single action only.Also for what it is worth the 232 is a proven design and the 238 is fairly new.

Ah, I see.

So is the P232 still a "current" model? For some reason no one has it on stock, and most commented that they do not stock it.

I assumed it was no longer being produced.

If the P232 is still in production, what model do you guys suggest?

Thanks again everyone.

NoWareMan9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    A lot of guys on my job carry the Sig off duty and like it. OP - I sent you a PM about this.

Thanks for the PM. I will reply as soon as I have enough posts. lol

In the mean time, and and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    In a semi auto I would much prefer a 9mm over a 380. The Kel Tec PF-9 is both smaller and lighter the the 380s listed but more powerful as well. Much wider choice of defensive ammo and practice ammo is normally cheaper as well.

some specs....

.............P232.........PF-9..........PPK
    O.A.L. ...6.6"..........5.85".........6.1"
    Bbl........ 3.6 ".........3.1"...........3.35"
    Height". 4.7"...........4.3"...........4.3"
    Width" ..1.2".......... .88"......... .98
    Weight: 17.6 oz ... 12.7oz...... 22.4oz
    Mag..... 7 rds ........7 rds..........7 rds

I would also give deep consideration to an airweight J-Frame like the 442. OAL is 6.3 inches and weight is only 15 ounces and it will shoot +P. Easy pocket carry and just about unnoticeable on the belt or in a Kramer Confidential style t-shirt.

Miner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Every day carry is tough. I have found that my 40 is just too big for the summer months and with certain clothing. I purchased my wife a Ruger 380 a few weeks back. She had some issues with her 38 special being too big to carry at work. It got in her way and was either not concealed or not on her. The 380 fits in the front or back pocket of a pair of jeans. It fits on the coat pocket or ankle. I like it so well, not for the size of the bullet, but for the ease of carry. I am considering one for myself.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I would steer clear of the ppk. My father in law has always wanted one, and had the opportunity to get one in his hands, and said it was one of the most uncomfortable grips he had ever felt. Now, its different for every person, and you need to pick something that is comfortable to hold, and shoot. That's the most important factor to purchasing a EDCC, or any gun for that matter. I also would tell you to go to a 9mm if at all possible. There's nothing wrong with a 380acp, but if your spending the money anyway, do yourself the favor, and spend a little extra on the gun, and less on the ammunition while increasing your stopping power. Kahr makes a great weapon, for EDCC, as well as BUG. I started into the gun world with a Bursa 380 Thunder, and carried that for about a year, but quickly discovered that it was clearly not the gun I wanted to carry for any great length of time. I graduated to a S&W M&P 9c, and carried that for a good amount if time. Next week, I should will be purchasing a Glock 23 which is a 40, and hopefully a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. Going larger is inevitable. Learn from me, start with something that's comfortable, and fits your hands.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    We have an LCP for deep concealment carry when I can't carry my normal EDC. It's a good gun for what it is, but I would not consider it for every day carry. Too snappy, only 7 rounds of .380, not as accurate as I would like.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent little gun, but it fills a niche, which in my opinion isn't a full time duty firearm. Back up? Perfect for that.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    451 makes some good points. A few years ago the .380 was simply not a popular calibur; but something happened. And, all of a sudden, it was hot!
    I jumped on the bandwagen, too. There were lots of problems with the hardware, etc, and my frustration level wen't off the charts.

The .380 and the pistols are here to stay, I guess, but I'm back to the 9mm. You want small, and smaller with the 9mm punch? I'd be looking at Sig, Kahr to start.:twocents:

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Out of the firearms on your list I would lean towards the Ruger LCP. While it's not the best option for a winter carry. It does make an excellent summer carry/back up. The early P238 models had some issues, but most of those have been fixed. My issue with the 232 is the size. For a pistol that large you can easliy get into a 9mm. Not that I think a .380 can't stop a two legged predator, but that a 9mm is better and cheaper.

My choice for a everyday carry is a CZ Rami 9mm. It's a large enough caliber and small enough package for me to full time carry. I'll probably still use my LCP for deep conceal.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    In my carry experience, I think the width of the gun is the number one factor in determining whether the gun will always be on your hip or just occassionally. Number two would be weight.

:+1: for the Bersa 380. Owned a few for many years and an extremely comfortable daily carry gun. With Speer Golt Dot 380 ammo, I don't feel underpowered, especially since these are blowback pistols with light DA and SA triggers making them very accurate.

On the 9mm side, try the off the beaten path S&W 3rd gen single stacks. For 300-500 you can get a S&W 3913 or 3914 on Gunbroker.com with a slide width of .91 inches and weighing 24 oz. I've carried one for 6 years now and have tried probably 10 to 15 other more well known 9mm models and I have yet to find a more comfortable 9mm compact. The S&W 3rd gen guns also have what some refer to as "boring reliability"...they simply don't fail.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    sig p238

I bought a Sig o238 about a month ago. It feels really good in my hand, and is very comfortable to shoot. I have not had any failure to feed or any other problem with it. Would definitely recommend one.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I guess I'm too late for my 2 cents. I have a Kel Tec that has been flawless with a crimson trace laser. I have several more expensive pistols -- but the KT is always the one i grab for my pocket.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Forgot to mention a PM9 Kahr with Crimson Trace as well. Only downside to that is the 6 or 7 shot (depending on mag) capacity. Still a small 9mm - tough to beat.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom