• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'll echo what others have said... the Staff is more important than the venue! Go to a high profile event that draws in a lot of staff.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and if you can find one with Barbie in it... thats good too. :):

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Only been to one Appleseed, so I'm not exactly a veteran. I went to Atlanta & YellowHouseJake was the shoot boss --excellent program that weekend. From what I understand you can't go wrong with any one of several venues & shoot bosses already mentioned.

I am planning on another Appleseed next year.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Range 5 at Atterbury was in yards according to a borrowed range finder, a 4MOA front post, and google earth. I could be and am willing to be wrong, just saying.

Avoid Atterbury first time out, particularly if your father is a mature gentleman or has trouble getting around or if you don't get regular exercise or spend time afield with gear. too many sensory inputs to manage efficiently.

Bedford moves slow and is more geared towards a cookout than a focused marksmanship event. Ossian and Cloverdale are the most comfortable ranges to shoot at. MCFG feels compressed (because it is) but is centrally located. Nashville is deceptively nice.

ATM is the most entertaining SB, Yellowhousejake is the most experienced, Mudcat is the most grounded, SPQR is most arrogant and you will learn more if you catch him as an instructor instead of a SB, and Auntiebellum and DaveD are the calmest and most reassuring. Mudcat and Auntiebellum if you want to work on scope shooting. YHJ and SPQR if you want to work on irons. That makes up the majority of their veteran staff. They have several newer SBs who are very good as well (Brown, Spitfire51, etc.).

They pretty much all suck and you should probably go to Gunsite.

YHJ, SPQR, Mudcat and AB conduct most of their known distance shoots but they are probably all going to tell you that if you can't hold 4moa at 25yards with a sling for your only support you need to go to a 25yard shoot before going to Atterbury.

Avoid TBE, the guy is an @$$hat. Avoid SPQR, he ain't far behind.

I agree with the above post. Especially about not hitting Atterbury for your first seed and about SPQR and TBE being generally bad people. I really think it is more about the shootboss than the location (other than Atterbury which is a different animal specifically because of the facility). Really, I do not think there is a bad shoot boss in Indiana and from my experience, Huff accurately described the ones I know.

Top Bottom