Looking for a handgun under 500 for first one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    At the place your at right now! Buy what ever you want! I guarantee one thing. This 1st gun you buy, will not be your last! Enjoy the ever changeing world of gun ownership! Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!:yesway:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How about an M&P shield...they are around $400 brand new come with 2 mags easy to shoot and I am seriously considering picking one up at the 1500.

Last edited:

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the responses guys. really appreciate it. I believe I have narrowed it down to a few guns
    Ruger sr9c, sr40c, glock 19, m&p shield 9.

I was going to buy a shield 40 from someone on here but I think it might be a little too Mich in that small a package. I own an ar15 and a marlin 795 so I'm not too new in the realm of rifles, just handguns.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    How close to Terre Haute or Brazil are you? I will gladly allow you to shoot my SR9c, Shield 40 or my M&Pc which I can make a 40 or .357 sig (whichever you want) as well as a Glock 30 though it is a 45, it is still a compact Glock just to get the feel of it. If you want, just PM me and we can do some shooting.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I'm in Anderson so I'm no where close sadly or I would love to go out and shoot those fine pieces of weaponry.

How close to Terre Haute or Brazil are you? I will gladly allow you to shoot my SR9c, Shield 40 or my M&Pc which I can make a 40 or .357 sig (whichever you want) as well as a Glock 30 though it is a 45, it is still a compact Glock just to get the feel of it. If you want, just PM me and we can do some shooting.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Under $500 huh? That's easy! Used glock 19 ($450), used Smith & Wesson M&P9 $425-450.

You'll never have a problem. Enjoy!

i see them both on ingo for sale all the time. Just wait for another to pop up.

You can also get new ones for those prices if you wait for the right deal. I got my brand new/never fired M&P9 for $450 from an INGOer. So under $500 shouldn't be a problem. Just gotta wait for the right deal.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I've done more thinking and a glock 19,23,26, or 27 seems to be one I will pick up if I fond one for a decent price. The 26 or 27 because of the magazines from the larger guns being able to fit in them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've done more thinking and a glock 19,23,26, or 27 seems to be one I will pick up if I fond one for a decent price. The 26 or 27 because of the magazines from the larger guns being able to fit in them.

Another vote for a G19. Great first weapon. Of the 4 you mention, the 19 is the best starter gun IMO. It's just about as easy to carry as a G26 (I know, I've had both and now the G19 is my EDC) and 9mm is better for a first handgun as it's not as "snappy" when you fire it and the ammo is less expensive. I also agree with rbMPSH12, check the classifieds and be patient. I bought my G26 for $450 from the classifieds and tomorrow I'm picking up a G17 for the same price. Good luck with your search and hopefully you end up with a weapon you're happy with.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    CZ 75 B 9mm Pistol 16+1 4.7" Barrel

27801-DEFAULT-S.jpg

Thank me later.... or say "You told me so" later... Your choice

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    CZ 75 B 9mm Pistol 16+1 4.7" Barrel

27801-DEFAULT-S.jpg

Thank me later.... or say "You told me so" later... Your choice

Not a fan of how they look and I haven't done much research on the CZ pistols. I will have to pass for now. :P

Anyways. I think it's down to a glock 19, 26 or Ruger SR9c. Then again, I can't seem to make up my mind to save my life haha. I guess I will just have to hold them and compare them side by side next time I stop by a shop that has them all.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'll throw in a vote for the g27. That was my first handgun last June, been carrying it ever since. I like the ability to use any of the .40 mags. I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for cheaper fun at the range. Was a little hard to get use to shooting it accurately at first but after a couple hundred rounds I'm pretty accurate and very comfortable with it. Having the pinky hang off does not bother me.

Good Luck, Jon

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not a fan of how they look and I haven't done much research on the CZ pistols. I will have to pass for now. :P

Anyways. I think it's down to a glock 19, 26 or Ruger SR9c. Then again, I can't seem to make up my mind to save my life haha. I guess I will just have to hold them and compare them side by side next time I stop by a shop that has them all.

:twocents:
    Get yourself a full size, don't concern yourself with carry until you're proficient with the firearm, then by the time you're there you can pickup something smaller if you're really unable to manage carrying the firearm. Or for that matter, trade for it.

A nice CZ like that 75 or an SP-01 would be fantastic to start off with if you're really dead set against a 22lr. (Looks... Really?)

A good quality holster will surprise you with a full size firearm.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    To the OP: Are you certain that Glocks point well for you?

I recommend that you go to the store and trying holding a Glock 19, an M&P 9mm, an XD 9mm, and an XDM 9mm. Pick the one that fits you best. They're all great guns, and they can all be found in your price range.

Top Bottom