• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Ok, I know this will be heavily debated but what is a good option for a gun safe under the $1000 price tag? I am thinking a 25-30 gun safe that is good quality and will last. I cannot afford a Johnson safe or any of the other big name brands. Gander does have a pretty nice Frontier for $1100 but I would really prefer to be less than that. Just looking for opinions from you safe owners. Thanks in advance!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Grogmister,

What do you want the safe to do?

If you are just looking for "space" for your firearms I would suggest a closet.

If you want good fire protection you will need to save up and wait until you have enough money.

If you want to protect against a basic "smash and grab" then you should just shop around for whatever is cheap at the big box stores and will delay someone without a couple of crowbars by a few minutes. If you go this route I would strongly suggest a monitored home security system. I would still recommend a home security system, but the cheaper the safe the more necessary the security system.

If you want real protection you MUST spend real money. Anything else is an illusion designed to make you feel good. I don't know about you but when I am going to spend over $1,000 it sure as heck isn't to "feel good" - it is to get the job done!

If you don't have the grand, I understand. Money is tight. Try to save $200 a month for 12 monthes. You'll end up with a fair pile of cash to get a good quality safe that will actually DO what you want it to. Or, save $200 a month for seven (7) monthes. This will leave you with $1,400 in your pocket and Christmas has passed! Sales will be going on all over the place and you might snag a good quality safe for a fair price.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Doug

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    To Grogmister,

If you want good fire protection you will need to save up and wait until you have enough money.

If you want to protect against a basic "smash and grab" then you should just shop around for whatever is cheap at the big box stores and will delay someone without a couple of crowbars by a few minutes. If you go this route I would strongly suggest a monitored home security system. I would still recommend a home security system, but the cheaper the safe the more necessary the security system.

If you want real protection you MUST spend real money. Anything else is an illusion designed to make you feel good. I don't know about you but when I am going to spend over $1,000 it sure as heck isn't to "feel good" - it is to get the job done!

If you don't have the grand, I understand. Money is tight. Try to save $200 a month for 12 monthes. You'll end up with a fair pile of cash to get a good quality safe that will actually DO what you want it to. Or, save $200 a month for seven (7) monthes. This will leave you with $1,400 in your pocket and Christmas has passed! Sales will be going on all over the place and you might snag a good quality safe for a fair price.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Doug
    Dear Libertarian01,

Do you sell high end safes?

Just wondering,
    LAN

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dear Libertarian01,

Do you sell high end safes?

Just wondering,
    LAN

To LanShark42,

Good question. The answer is, "Not at all. I am a part time student and work full time for a nonprofit that transports disabled and elderly to and from medical appointments.":

When I searched for a safe for myself I spent many hours doing research. Normally I would run to Consumer Reports, but they don't have a section on gun safes. So with further research I looked around and will not support ANY safe that is not Underwriters Laboratory tested and rated. I say this because a sales pitch is just that - a sales pitch. It is made by someone who has a biased interest in making a sale whereas UL has no such interest.

I have given some people "issues" with my snobbery on gun safes, but research shows that most safes are nowhere near as secure as the manufacturer wants you to think they are.

For the record, that goes for my safe as well. I bought the absolute best I could afford at the time. I liquidated a lot of silver to cover most of the transaction. I hate to see people spend hard earned money for something that isn't going to do what they think it will do.

In my previous post I should have mentioned buying only UL tested AND rated, but that was an oversight.

I am a 100% believer is quality OVER price. In the long run quality is less expensive, but it is more up front money.

Regards,

Doug

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I just got liberty 64 from gander and a discount bc it was floor model. I would try and haggle and get a deal on the floor model if you can. I know the one I got was originally 2199 and I got it for 1800 plus tax bc it was a floor model and new versions were coming out. Or put your 1000 down and get a instore credit card with 0 percent

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just got liberty 64 from gander and a discount bc it was floor model. I would try and haggle and get a deal on the floor model if you can. I know the one I got was originally 2199 and I got it for 1800 plus tax bc it was a floor model and new versions were coming out. Or put your 1000 down and get a instore credit card with 0 percent

To All,

Here is a good idea. I far prefer the Dave Ramsey method of saving and paying cash, but if you can get 0% and payments you can easily afford this would be a way to get a good unit within your monthly budget.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Do not forget UL tested and rated!

tstormdrums

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Howard County
    Honestly ANY safe is better than no safe, but always buy more than you think you need or want. Yes they are expensive, but figure in the cost of what you want to put in it or ,God forbid, figure the cost if one of your guns is used in a crime or to shoot someone or worse, a family member. Buy what you can afford yes, but try to afford what is best.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    When I bought my last safe my Wife asked why I was paying so much for it.
    I told her that I have individual guns worth more than the safe, and that our Homeowners Ins. won't cover the replacement costs of even one of them.
    She said "Oh" and never spoke of it again.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    To Grogmister,

Good Luck.

Regards,

Doug

Grogmister, the above is good information. If a thousand $ is over your budget, keep saving so you can get something of quality.

A Johnson safe starts out at $1200.00 24"Wx60"Hx20"D.

Turf Doctor

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought a safe at Menards. It was a left over from Black Friday, they were having an 11% rebate, the box was torn and one of the steel shipping feet was missing. After some conversation, I walked out with a safe I bought for under $300.

It may not be Fort Knox, but I feel comfortable that A. a couple guys won't be able to haul it off easily and B. a smash and grab won't be able to get in.

It's a 36 gun Sentinel Safe. I modified the interior slightly to use Rifle Rods and it works well for me.

1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    Save up and get a quality safe with a good fire rating. If it's going to be on the smaller side, I'd suggest anchoring it so it can't be hauled off. A cheap safe is just that...cheap. Look for the construction aspects, i.e. thickness of shell, door construction( layered or thick plate ) locking mechanism etc... Most home owner policies only cover a couple grand, if that. Regretting a safe purchase will only be hindsight when your guns are gone

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks for all the great advice and opinions guys. I am going to do some more research and see what I can settle on for the future.

ThoughtPolice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    St. Joe County
    Save up the money and get a liberty 64. Best decision (gun wise) I've made. Someone broke into my house last month stole my tv, my Xbox, and blue ray player... But not one gun!

maybe I should start storing my tv in there also

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Liberty Safe. Gander has good sales on them from time to time.
    Liberty gives good after the purchase support.
    Don't buy a Stack-on made in china with no support.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    There is a electrical hookup in the 64. I have a 8 camera dvr system at house and have been thinking about relocating the dvr box to the safe in case some one ever broke in! Power is a good option

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Ok, I know this will be heavily debated but what is a good option for a gun safe under the $1000 price tag? I am thinking a 25-30 gun safe that is good quality and will last. I cannot afford a Johnson safe or any of the other big name brands. Gander does have a pretty nice Frontier for $1100 but I would really prefer to be less than that. Just looking for opinions from you safe owners. Thanks in advance!

Your GTG with this.. Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Online Store I have had mine for over a year now and have had no problems with it. Very happy. You can usually get them for around $550 on sale at TSC.

Top Bottom