• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't know how much shooting experience your wife has but a short barrel synthetic 12 guage would prob knock my wife off her feet!... Maybe throw out that criteria and buy her a .380? But overall the 500 has never done me wrong, and u can broke upgrading it!

jonboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    I think a 12 gauge with a pistol grip would be hard for her to hold onto. I really like my 870 7 shot synthetic and my skinny little 13 year old brother can shoot it fine as long as he holds the stock up to his shoulder tight.

remington870tactical.JPG

trex75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    My vote goes for the Remington 870. Maybe in 20 gauge if the wife is going to be using it.

apbarnar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into the Remington's a little more. I think I instinctively went to Mossberg as they seem synonymous with pistol grip shottys. And my wife hasn't had much shooting experience so I will consider a 20 ga. but how does that compare to 12 ga as far as ammo cost and availability? I am also buying her a 9mm handgun as soon as one pops up on the classifieds (after my 50 posts of course) but I would like for her to be able to use our shot gun should the need arise.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    As far as price and availablility, from what I have seen is they are both about equal in both categories... If she would only be shooting it an emergency situation, and she will have the option of the 9mm, I don't think you can wrong with either one...

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Vepr 12 or saiga 030

Magazine fed and belches death. Lighter on recoil than a pump gun. Ak reliability.

s-2728.jpg

vepr12_closeup.jpg

wellsmichael07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Scottsburg
    The 500s and 870s are the two easiest to find parts for to convert into a home defense gun as far as finding and options. If a company makes a aftermarket shotgun part it is for one of those two guns. As for reliability both are exceptional! You can't go wrong with either.

brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Uts-15, my wife and 12 year old daughter can shoot it without a problem, less than 25" total length, and 15 round capacity. 12 gauge power and 410 recoil, nothing to buy down the road either, light/laser built in, comes with breaching choke, and loaded with 00 buck still weighs less than 9lbs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Uts-15, my wife and 12 year old daughter can shoot it without a problem, less than 25" total length, and 15 round capacity. 12 gauge power and 410 recoil, nothing to buy down the road either, light/laser built in, comes with breaching choke, and loaded with 00 buck still weighs less than 9lbs.

Anything less than 26" OAL is illegal. :popcorn:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into the Remington's a little more. I think I instinctively went to Mossberg as they seem synonymous with pistol grip shottys.

If you're set on a pistol grip, then go with a Remington. The top safety of the Mossberg is not really conducive to a pistol grip. Personally, I prefer a standard stock and have a Mossberg as my HD gun. :twocents:

Top Bottom