• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apbarnar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I am starting to do some research on shotguns to decide what will fit my needs. My primary purpose is for home defense but I want to be able to upgrade with a lot of accessories down the road. So far I am liking the Mossberg 500 and 590 but was wondering if I should broaden my criteria. I'm basically just wanting a shoter barrel with a pistol grip and stock, something intimidating but also something my wife could use. Any help is appreciated. (I'm also trying to meet my 50 post limit)

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 seem to be about equal in popularity when it comes to simple, reliable pump shotguns. They are both available in several configurations and there are lots of accessories available for both of them.

I was in your boat a few weeks ago and bought an Remington 870 Express 12ga black synthetic stock 18" barrel.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree with BB37. The Remington and Mossbergs have so many accessories available! I picked up a Mossberg 500 JIC. I am happy with it. I also have a full size Remington 870 28 in 12ga. Both are great!

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Shotguns

The Mossberg 500 series and the Rem 870 platform will do anything you want to do with a shotgun, there is a huge after market of accessories for these guns. And there are those who prefer one over the other for whatever reasons. I have used the Mossberg and Rem 870's for 40 years, both as personally owned firearms, and as duty weapons. Both platforms are in use with law enforcement and the military and have served well in these roles.
    I have a Mossberg 12 ga. pump that I have hunted with since the 70's and my "house gun " is a M-500 with an 18" bl and pistol grip.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You're looking at this all wrong! You don't need all that firepower and those add-ons and accessories are just waste of money.

Renowned gun safety expert (and currently the VP of the US) Joe Biden says all anyone ever needs for self-defense is a double-barreled shotgun! In fact according to him all anyone needs to do it fire two blasts outside and any perps there will wet their pants and run away. Or if you're trapped inside, just blast away at the front door. That'll get 'em!

It's clear that I've been thinking about defensive use of a firearm all wrong! I think of all the time and money I've spent at the range practicing. What a WASTE!

I've been thinking, I really don't even need a REAL shotgun do I? I'll bet I can get a RECORDING of a shotgun firing and just have that on my iPhone with a little app to play it. Oops, I spilled the beans on my idea, now one of you will beat me to that. Darn! I hate when that happens!

Seriously, though, I personally like the Remington 870. I only have one shotgun and it's an 870 Magnum Express. They are simple, reliable, easy to update/modify to suit your needs or tastes, and relatively inexpensive.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I would not get a double barrel shotgun as Joe says, it will only be a short time when Feinstein will want to ban them. Get two single barrel break open shotguns, one to shoot up in the air outside, and the other to shoot threw the door and then you will be set. If you decide not to take advantage of Joe.s wisdom, then just get a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870.

Dave

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I keep my 870 Supermag turkey model by my bed. The only mod has been to drill out the mag spring retainer cap bumps and put it to the old style retainer.

I can add an ext mag if I want, but currently do not run it that way, as it's dual purpose.
    It also is not my only defensive rig.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Mossberg 890 A1 get my vote. Don't you hate deciding between two great shotguns?

I personally have the FN P-12 right now and I love it, but the Mossberg 890 A1 will be my top choice becauses of all the accessories. The P-12 is awesome as it is and needs no accessories, IMO.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If price is a concern check out the Hawk 982. It's a Remington 870 clone that comes with ghost ring sights and in the first 500 rounds has been more reliable than my 870 Synthetic 18" which will not tolerate cheap ammo.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It will not extract the round. I called Remington and they said it is an ammo issue and not to use bulk pack ammo.

My cousin had that issue with his Remington. I can shoot anything threw mine. he finaly convince them he needed to sent it back. They reamed the chamber. It had a flaw. They fixed it for free and has nt had a issue since. I would not settle for a excuse like that for a shotgun! Call them!

Mcqueen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I have an 870 & a 500. They are both about the same, but I think the 870 is just a little better..

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    For the wife and you I would say 20 gauge 870 or 590

Listen to this advice. People underestimate the power of a 20ga. I prefer the Mossberg over the 870 strictly due to the location of the safety. I don't want to be putting my finger near the trigger to disengage the safety during stress. The Mossberg safety is on top of the receiver and the Remmington's is behind the trigger. Just my personal preference. Both are great guns.

Top Bottom