• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I just fondled these today at the local shop. I almost didn't believe they were Taurus at first!

I'm a long time Taurus hater. They have burned me in the past with model 58, immediately followed by a bad 94. Both of these guns looked like completely different animals that what I'm used to seeing.

I loved the fact that the 738 had decent, distinct iron sights, and that it has a steel guide rod. For $299 I may have a hard time continuing to recomend the P32 and P3AT for a pocket gun.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    709 slim--738TCP. Are these two models of the same pistol or what's the difference between them?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'd agree, I've got one of the 709's and I really like it. Feels pretty good for the size and shoots great. Very reliable and accurate for as small as it is.

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Hello folks..
    Word is these pistols are having mag problems. But, I looked at the 709..sure felt good and looked pretty well built.
    Have to tell ya though, I am just not ready to put my life on the line with any Taurus of any kind until one has a fair bit of a track record.
    My Kel Tec p11 even though the trigger is a bear to pull, I know it will go bang every time I need it too.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Word is these pistols are having mag problems.

I don't think Taurus is known for stellar performance from their magazines, but I've had no problems with the two that came with my 709 through 900 rounds.

My Kel Tec p11 even though the trigger is a bear to pull, I know it will go bang every time I need it too.
    A nice feature of the 709 is the 'second strike' capability. If the round doesn't go bang the first time, you can take another swing at it. I don't think the Kel-Tec's have this feature.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You know? I actually like the look of the 709 Slim. Thanks for the link to the catalog.

However you owe me - I've got a rotten taste in my mouth after seeing the PLY. ;)

taurus-2522ply.jpg

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    02-02.jpg

I want one...I currently have a PT111.
    The two things that drive me toward this handgun is that it has a shorter trigger pull and it's slender build, for deep concealment.:yesway:

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the pt709 and carry it every day. No mag problems with 350 rounds so far, very accurate for its size and I dont even notice it when carrying in a IWB tuckable. Only complaint so far is on the finish, I got the blued and it rusts like crazy, so i would reccomed spending the extra $20 for a stainless slide, but I bought it for SD not to win any beauty contests.

I think the biggest difference between the 709 and 738 is that the 709 is s DA/SA with an external saftey and the 738 is a DAO with no manual saftey. (other than the caliber and size )

PS, if anyone is in the indy area and wants to test drive one, I'd be happy to let them try mine.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I got to fondle one of these the other day and have to say they do feel nice. Nice slim grip, light weight good ergos. The thing that struck me as cheap is the rear sight the one I handled had a deformed sight probably do to rough handeling, shipping or what ever the right dot was half way covered where the soft plastic had dented and deformed from a hit. Yes this was a brand new gun. I doubt they would hold up well to daily carry, at least with me carrying. A different set of sights would fix the issue though. Still worth a look.

Now the TCP is a nice little pocket gun. I like it better than my LCP.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hello folks..
    Word is these pistols are having mag problems. But, I looked at the 709..sure felt good and looked pretty well built.
    Have to tell ya though, I am just not ready to put my life on the line with any Taurus of any kind until one has a fair bit of a track record.

Here we go again.... "Word is" Guess that word is from the garbage man's mailman, that lives across the street from a little old lady who has a son in Pasadena who's ex-girlfriend's father that lived on Route 66 a mile from a cantankerous old sole that's great great great great grandfather was a so called part owner in Colt who's got a guy that lives next door to this fellow that HAS NEVER owned a Taurus, but heard this whole darn thing on the internet.

I get so da*n tired of this I heard stuff. Unless you owned one, shot one of your friends and actually had it happen to you, then I want pictures, and verified results that are stamped by a notary public.

Owned 5 Taurus's never had one single problem with any of them and that includes mag.

I plan on buying a 709 asap for myself and hopefully for my wife when she finally decides on getting her LTCH.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread, that is all!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    have a 709 here - put a hundred or so through it with no problems...
    Like the "real" sights as opposed to the LCP integral fixed ones. Jury's still out on the rest. So far, this one's a keeper. Haven't tried the TCP - but I do like the LCP. LCP is much easier to carry - but I'd MUCH prefer the 709 if it came time to put it to use.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I had a 709. Didn't really want it but once I had it and already agreed to part with it, I found it difficult to give up.

I Loved the original concept gun for the 709. The production model, that triangle geometry on the side of the gun just really bugs me. That's probably the only thing that's keeping me from buying another. If they would make it look like the original concept pre-production pieces I'd head out and pick one up.

I have yet to handle the TCP though I saw one for the first time a week ago, not bad. Nice to see a different approach.

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I love my 709 so far. The trigger isn't very short, but it is light and has a very short reset.

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Here we go again.... "Word is" Guess that word is from the garbage man's mailman, that lives across the street from a little old lady who has a son in Pasadena who's ex-girlfriend's father that lived on Route 66 a mile from a cantankerous old sole that's great great great great grandfather was a so called part owner in Colt who's got a guy that lives next door to this fellow that HAS NEVER owned a Taurus, but heard this whole darn thing on the internet.

I get so da*n tired of this I heard stuff. Unless you owned one, shot one of your friends and actually had it happen to you, then I want pictures, and verified results that are stamped by a notary public.

Owned 5 Taurus's never had one single problem with any of them and that includes mag.

I plan on buying a 709 asap for myself and hopefully for my wife when she finally decides on getting her LTCH.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread, that is all!
    Boy Oh Boy...All You Hooisers sure are Thinskinned!!!
    Also a bit lazy, huh???
    Almost every post I get some kind of flack from one of the alumni post whores on here in INGO...
    Even been called a Troll from ole ATF up there.
    I have to say, its a Gas reading all of it!!!

Not a problem...Bash the newbie from Michigan...be my guest. Makes one feel all warm and welcomed.

In return I'll give you some junk instances of your PT-709
    Here is some...

I bought a Taurus PT709 "Slim"..... - THR

Here's another...

Taurus 709- Problems - THR

and another...

Concealed Carry Forum - Taurus PT 709

theres more...

ps. I had written a big to do about this but changed my mind.
    Enjoy your 709....I'll pass. Oh if you want your notary stamp come up to Detroit. I'll put one on your hand so you can show the rest of the kiddies!!! :rolleyes:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Hey all - I have owned the 709 for several months now and I love this gun. Accurate, nice feel, looks and feels nice. Price was good and I have had no problems through perhaps 150 rounds (I realize that isn't much).

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Also a bit lazy, huh???
    Almost every post I get some kind of flack from one of the alumni post whores on here in INGO...
    Even been called a Troll from ole ATF up there.
    I have to say, its a Gas reading all of it!!!

Not a problem...Bash the newbie from Michigan...be my guest. Makes one feel all warm and welcomed.

In return I'll give you some junk instances of your PT-709
    Here is some...

I bought a Taurus PT709 "Slim"..... - THR

Here's another...

Taurus 709- Problems - THR

and another...

Concealed Carry Forum - Taurus PT 709

theres more...

ps. I had written a big to do about this but changed my mind.
    Enjoy your 709....I'll pass. Oh if you want your notary stamp come up to Detroit. I'll put one on your hand so you can show the rest of the kiddies!!! :rolleyes:

Relax and hang in there Big 30. We like havin you around. I do like my 709 though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

The 709 is still a new gun, in it's infant stages, going to have a bad one every now and then. 99.9% of the time you will only hear about a problem, not the kudos about how good it is. I've had the priveledge to shoot 3 different ones, 2 of them right out of the box with no problems what so ever with any of them.

I still plan on getting one when funds are available heck of a lot easier to conceal if I plan on going the cc route that day.

My little rant is is from personal experience from more than a dozen people who I have meet and talked to that had a Taurus complaint, and after asking questions found out that not one of them ever owned a Taurus, it was someone they had talked to or info from a 3rd party, not one had any hands on experience with a Taurus product.

So ya, I'm a little thinskined a bit, especially where I currently own 3 Taurus firearms and having 5 at one time with not one of them every having the least little problem.

Top Bottom