• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    All are needed are rice, wheat, and beans, pinto, chick peas, black beans and lentil have the highest protein contents, also they are good source of fiber. Also cans of tuna, sardines, and salmon, they normally have 4 years shelf life.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All are needed are rice, wheat, and beans, pinto, chick peas, black beans and lentil have the highest protein contents, also they are good source of fiber. Also cans of tuna, sardines, and salmon, they normally have 4 years shelf life.

My wife bought a 50 lb bag of rice and put it in the freezer 3 years ago.

Do you think it is still any good? It sure takes up a lot of space but I am reluctant to make a un-informed change.

Seriously, I think we can be doing better with it. Your suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Fodd storage

Store what you eat and eat what you store has always worked for my family. Don't store what you normally don't eat - a good dose of diarhea or constipation is not good in a SHTF scenario. By the way - beans get really tough after about 2-3 years of proper storage.

I've stored supplies for over thirty years. Some foodstuff stores very well others must be consumed within a year or two.

We store home canned veggies and fruit, commercially processed tuna, salmon, spam, & sardines. We have home processed jerky, dried fruit leather, bananas, grapes (raisins), onions, peppers, & etc. We have meat in the freezer (with a generator & supply of fuel to process the meat (dehydrate). We store various grains in self processed one gallon tins. By the way, last year I broke out a 5 gallon bucket of oatmeal and consumed it over the course of the year - it had been properly stored for 10 years.
    It was fine. We date and rotate all foodstuff and that way we lose very little to age deteriation. About 30 years ago, my family of 6 lived for 9 months off our stored food supply. We ate healthier than we do today. Of course we supplemented our meat supply with rabbit, squirrel, fish and deer meat. Actually an emergency cache of supplies can be a more economical way of living even in times of prosperity. Good shooting!

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    yes sloughfoot your rice is still good ....i keep rice ,beans pasta's,etc in mylar bag with oxygen absorbers in 5 gallon food grade buckets with gaskets seal lids storage in 60-68 temps... averge self life 10 to 15 years .......my suggestion to you is youtube long term food storage there alot of how to..... on using mylar bags and food storage on dry goods.....just remember oxygen, moisture, temp are food storage enemys hope this helped :twocents:

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Dont focus on one source of food. You should try to have three different sources of everything stored, i.e. cans, freeze dried, MRE, bulk grains and so on. Lack of water will kill you first. You can store it with additives for several years in large containers, get filters, store and rotate bottles as well. Store what you will eat, eat what you store, and rotate.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Going by extended days in the field hunting I eat somewhere around 350 meals per year 'off the grid'. Most of them made in a jetboil. I've no idea how comparable shelf lives are but I long ago lost the stomach for Mountain House / Backpacker's Pantry stuff. I don't enjoy heavily salted food and that is their calling card.

The majority of my meals I make myself out of components sourced from places like packitgourmet.com. They also do some pre-packaged meals but, like everyone else, they essentially toss the ingredients inside a Mylar balloon. If you have an aversion to filling a pack with empty space you have to vac pack it yourself.

Take a look at trailcooking.com for recipes.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Tap-water: where has it been?

Probably in a water-main, 18" or so dia., flowing along from the water-tower to your faucet. How long? "Preparedness Pro" says tap-water will store in pop-jugs for an indefinite period of time, and never go bad. And while rice & beans & beans & rice are O.K., I have tins of ALDI corned beef w/ expire date of 9/2015. Good for barbeque.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    look into keeping a supply of bell pepper and tomato seeds, they are easy to grow and be canned later in the season

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Up-date expiration date on Libby/Wally corned beef

It is now up to March, 2017. Aldi-brand "Spam" up to Nov. 2015. I rotated all my old stock to the front. The only thing I can do with Spam (G.I. on C-rats a lot of my career, can't stand those memories of Myst-Meat) is put it cubed with a lot of veggies or make egg-sandwiches with it, sliced.
    Probably in a water-main, 18" or so dia., flowing along from the water-tower to your faucet. How long? "Preparedness Pro" says tap-water will store in pop-jugs for an indefinite period of time, and never go bad. And while rice & beans & beans & rice are O.K., I have tins of ALDI corned beef w/ expire date of 9/2015. Good for barbeque.

Top Bottom