• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    and thanks for all the info guys! reps to you both! This is a long term goal, I dont know when exactly, but its a goal I would like to work towards.

This wont be an every day 1000 yard rifle. Heck, the only 1000 yard range I know of is Atterbury and that Long Shot Range. I dont think Im allowed to shoot at Atterbury (not an open range correct?), and the long shot range is a long way off. I think Jasper-Pulaski has a 500 yarder, and the range close to home has 300.

So, if anything I might shoot 300 on a regular basis, 500 ocasionally, then try to find a 1000 yard range somewhere to play.

anyway, this is the learning and info gathering session for me. :)

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    you can shoot at atterbury if you pay the yearly membership and join the club... ill try and get some iformation on that for you... i think its around 150 a year.... and they have a match once or twice a month.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    attebury

Without running the numbers, I'm guessing the 6.5/284 is the better performer at 1k.
    It is also the most prominent at the 1000 yard prone matches at Atterbury.
    can anyone attend and watch at attebury or is it military only? any links?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    can anyone attend and watch at attebury or is it military only? any links?

the matches are civilian matches.... i dont think there are many military guys that even shoot in it... i know they also hold several qualifiers for camp perry there... not sure of much else as i have not quite dove into the Long Range game as quickly as planned.... i will be soon though... hopefully this spring... i just need to get a good load worked up and go out and shoot some so i can at least have some solid dope for when i start shooting in these things....

long story short, you join the club and shoot at attubury... they actually close part of a road off to allow the long range shooting... its quite a nice place and i have seen the civilian there shooting several times... all of them had hand carts and some pretty high dollar equipment... i dont remember ever seeing more than 15 or so of them at any one time and almost always early in the morning.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You don't have to be a member of CIHPRS or the ISRPA to shoot any matches on Camp Atterbury ranges. You just pay a couple of dollars more when you sign up, if you are not a member.

Yes, the matches start at 8 am so you need to be at the sign up area behind KD5 by 0730 or so. You don't have to "qualify" to shoot. Just be on the roster at the main gate to be allowed entrance on the post. Sue Mogle is the contact person. Let her know you are coming and she will get you on the roster. www.cihprs.com

Back to the original question. A premium air gauged barrel installed on a stiff action by a knowledgeable gunsmith is required for a 1000 yard precision rifle.

For a factory rifle, the Savage F/TR 6.5-284 is hard to beat. But I have done it bunches of times with my 308/155 Palma repeater gun.

Just start shooting and ask questions. Be willing to learn.

Good luck.

There is not ONE magical answer.

Last edited:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    For a starter gun that could be expanded upon I would recommend Savage, Winchester, Remington long actions. And IMHO a 30cal. would be the place to start, mostly 308 or 30-06, one being the vast selection of quality, affordable, Match ammo available. Yes you do get better BC's with the smaller 6mm and 6.5mm variants but price goes up as well.

Another big plus to the chamberings I suggested is the limitless amount of information available. Every where you turn you can find ballistics data such-n-such factory load and so forth. And trust me, having readily available info such as ballistics charts can help you greatly, but remember that that data won't do it for you.

Like I said, these are the calibers I recommend you start with, not that these rounds are the best. About anything that carries a high BC and can keep the bullet supersonic past 1000yds has potential to be a good chambering for 1000yd shooting.

Another topic of great importance( which I beleive was mentioned) is optics. Be prepared to spend just as much if not more than your rifle on optics, because if you can't see your target worth a darn you won't hit your target!

My biggest suggestion is to start reading! Get every piece of info you can and read it, re-read it, and then put what you read to work and see how it works! Study coefficents, wind effects, light, temperature, humidity, etc. and then shoot and see how it effects your shot in real time. Education and experience are the keys to long range shooting, IMHO more important than the equipment you will be using.

All I can say is get out and shoot, Good Luck and Good Shooting!:patriot::ingo:

Top Bottom