• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    You can legally hunt groundhogs and English sparrows any time of year with any weapon. Just have a hunting license and follow the parks regs. You dont have any explaining to do.

I think you might be on to something! I guess I could claim I'm hunting groundhogs with 00buck!

Seriously though, if justification is (unconstitutionally) needed, this may be it.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    A semi-automatic handgun and a backup revolver are all that you need to protect yourself from a Mountain Lion. I grew up in Colorado all the gun owners that I knew carried hand guns for protection out in the National Forests.

However, most of the time you won't even see one because they are very good at hiding and tracking both humans and other pray. The biggest piece of advice that I could give is that if you have young children with you then don't let them wonder too far away from you. Mountain Lions tend will attack children and dogs first over adults for obvious reasons.

Finally, here a decent video from the Colorado Division of Wildlife that talks about how to deal with one. However, they don't talk about shooting it because obviously it's a last resort.

Link: "Mountain Lion Safety" video - Colorado Division of Wildlife

Last edited:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Looks like you should be good to go with the excuse of hunting groundhogs:

Woodchuck (Groundhog)
    -snip-
    Prevention and Control
    -snip-
    Shooting, where legal, can also be an effective method or reducing or maintaining a low population of woodchucks. Woodchucks can be captured or killed year-round without a permit or hunting or trapping license from the DNR, and there are no limits to the number that can be taken.

DNR: Woodchuck (Groundhog)

I feel like Les Nessman, finding out turkeys can't fly. With God as my witness, never in my life have I known woodchucks and groundhogs to be the same animal.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I run in Morgan-Monroe/Yellowwood quite a bit, and if me lumbering through the woods looking like a wounded beast (probably sounding like one too) doesn't entice a cat to attack, you should be fine. I would actually worry more about wild dogs anyway, the cats tend to hunt at night.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Looks like you should be good to go with the excuse of hunting groundhogs:

W..........l.

charlie-brown-argh.jpg

:):

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I must be odd, because carrying a long gun into the woods is as normal to me as wearing pants. You never know what you might see.

Private ground though.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OH come on!! You guys need to man up! Just take your good ol' Bowie or Arkansas toothpick and learn them varmints to stay the **** off your trail and propity! No need for no long gun to handle them kitties! :D

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I can't remember the exact total, but hasn't there only been about 7 deaths in the last 125 years in America due to mountain lion attacks? I think your gonna be alright.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I can't remember the exact total, but hasn't there only been about 7 deaths in the last 125 years in America due to mountain lion attacks? I think your gonna be alright.

Hey, pipe down! We are trying to be taticool!:D

I have carried my AR around our little piece of ground working and such, I've learned a lot from doing so.

Top Bottom