• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Not that I figure I might have to make a long distance head-shot on a wily morel, but now that DNR has admitted to the existence of mountain lion in the hills & hollers of Indiana, you never know what kind of critter you might run into. Wouldn't you feel better with a shotgun for personal protection?

I certainly see it as a "better to have it and not need it" issue, but I also see the real possibility of being accused of poaching.

Has anyone here dealt with the issue? Or, more better, is anyone here a DNR officer who could shed some quasi-official light on the subject?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh... for a sec there, I thought you were one of the Mario brothers stepping up your game.
    Is possible to contact the DNR prior to an outing and advise them of your intention to hunt mushrooms? I would think if you gave them a heads up, they would hopefully understand.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think you might have some explaining to do to convince DNR you are not poaching out of season and/or hunting without a hunting license. Good luck.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wouldn't you feel better with a shotgun for personal protection?

You can wear a suit of bacon and you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of for "mountain lions in Indiana". Don't believe those sea stories that they tell out West about predatory pumas. It's nonsense that people tell themselves so they can justify another gun purchase to the wife.

A shotgun is clumsy and heavy. Carry your pistol. You'll be fine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think you might have some explaining to do to convince DNR you are not poaching out of season and/or hunting without a hunting license. Good luck.

By that same logic, what if you have a 6" large-frame revolver on your hip or on a chest rig?

Carrying a gun in the woods (any gun) doesn't mean poaching.

-J-

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Just seed the area with Lilly's "Kitty Prozac" (a real product) and should you run into a mountain lion, he'll be a happy one.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I couldn't imagine lugging a shotgun around mushroom hunting. A pistol should be enough to kill or scare away anything you come across in Indiana.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    Well the cougar is in that area. My friends property in Greene county has had cougar tracks on it multiple times and the DNR has confirmed it is down there. Although I am with all of the others, a 45acp should do the trick, or heck, and decent sized hand gun

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    a couple of additional factors

I believe this question is worth pondering, if not answering, before someone finds themselves in such a predicament. I would like to carry a long-gun, even on a light hike. If nothing else, it's good training, to find comfortable long-term carry options. How do we do so, without being accused of being unscrupulous?

don't take the "mountain lion" reference so literally. insert "zombie", or whatever makes you shake in your boots. saying a person might want a long gun only in the case of a mountain lion, is like saying 2nd Amend. is all about hunting.

I am an adult citizen of the State of Indiana, and be it in the woods, or on main street, there should be no restrictions on my carrying of a long-gun, as long as it is in a non-threatening manner. i.e.- carrying a shotgun does not equal hunting, nor does it equal being a criminal.

it may not be "comfortable", but it would definitely be comforting.

another possible factor is the choice of ammo. birdshot would be laughable for protection but it is a common hunting load, #6 might appear to be poaching squrl or rabbit, slugs (or a 22mag) could possibly be construed as poaching deer. a slug or two in the pocket or saddle might be nice to have on hand for protection, but if the only ammo in the gun and on the person was OObuck, the person would apparently not be after game of any kind.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I also think a pistol is enough for any moutain lion. But I like something with a little range in the woods, like a 10mm.
    When I go hiking I've often thought about being attack by some animal, moutain lion, rabied coyote, coydogs etc.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    As you're walking the woods, looking down for the mushrooms, flora, fauna, make sure you wear dog tags or other sturdy ID. The DNR will need to ID the body.

If a Mt Lion jumps you, he's not going to announce it, you're nor going to draw fast enough with a rifle/pistol/shotgun/hand grenade to kill him. You may see shadow as they jump from their perch, but that will be the last thing you see.

There is one last thing you can do. OC a Glock. It may deter the cat from jumping at all, and go after the short, fat, retired couple a few miles away. It works in gas stations and banks, and may save your life too.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ......... but I also see the real possibility of being accused of poaching.

See, this is what I was getting at in another thread.

You are considered GUILTY and partaking in a criminal activity just because you have a firearm.

And people are saying that the government is not in an adversarial relationship with the citizens of this country?!?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have on occasion been turkey hunting with a shotgun when I noticed a fat morel growing nearby. I decided to stop being a turkey hunter and become a mushroom hunter for the morning. When that happened I wrapped the shotgun in camo netting and left it behind. A shotgun is way too much of a PITA for mushroom hunting.

Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    thanks

;)You know, I think I will send my wife down to Green County in he bacon camouflages and check this out. Thanks :rolleyes:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You can legally hunt groundhogs and English sparrows any time of year with any weapon. Just have a hunting license and follow the parks regs. You dont have any explaining to do.

Top Bottom