• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    OK, I know this has to have been covered before, but I can't find it. I screwed up and let my carry permit expire; is it legal to carry a loaded long gun in my vehicle within reach of me while I drive? Hopefully I'll be abel to apply for my lifetime this week so I"ll never have to worry about this again! I feel naked without a couple of guns within reach!

Thanks,
    Doug K

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yep, just be sure it's a true long gun (with a stock).

As curraheeguns posted a month or so ago, the Marion County prosecutor considers a shotgun with a pistol grip to be....a pistol.

Lifetime is the way to go.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And to clarify: loaded is legal. Correct?

I can look it up myself, but would like to have others know it as well.

I'm not too sure the pistol grip (mossberg j.I.c. for example) would stick if a half decent defense lawyer were dispatched. But if there's precedent, it would still be a pita.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

I'm not too sure the pistol grip (mossberg j.I.c. for example) would stick if a half decent defense lawyer were dispatched. But if there's precedent, it would still be a pita.

You may be right, but knowing that the willingness to prosecute is there, it's not something over which I'd be willing to risk my liberty if I didn't have an LTCH.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Sweet, guys! Kel Tec SUB2K is moving back in tomorrow! You guys who've shot FNS with me can understand why I like having it close to me!

Thanks again,
    Doug K

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As curraheeguns posted a month or so ago, the Marion County prosecutor considers a shotgun with a pistol grip to be....a pistol.

It matters not what the Marion County Prosecuting Attorney thinks, it matter that the Court of Appeals has held that a shotgun without shoulder stock is a handgun requiring a LTCH. Estep v. State, 716 N.E.2d 986 (Ind. Ct. App. 1999).

You can carry a goofy shotgun, see Jeremy's Shotgun Doctrine, but one must, 1) be as hot as Milla Jovovich, 2) have a LTCH.

Depends. Are we just driving about, or are we going hunting?

Be advised that IDNR hunting regs may apply depending on where you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Unless I am mistaken, there are no Indiana laws that say a thing about guns being loaded or unloaded, despite their type or location.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Loaded

Kirk is correct. If you are out on a country road just before dawn with a shotgun full of slugs and a Conservation Officer stops you, you are at least going to be investigated so that they can determine whether or not you are hunting without a license. This is another one of those situations where the officer will be looking at the totality of the circumstances and deciding whether to cite you or not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is the deciding factor in whether carrying a goofy shotgun is permissible:

Are you as hot as this=>

Test for Jeremy's Silly Shotgun Doctrine=>

bmw_k1200r_residentevil_milla_jovovich_x500.jpg

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

Here is Indiana's statutory definition of a "handgun," requiring a LTCH to have in a vehicle:

"IC 35-47-1-6
    'Handgun'
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches."

You can see where the pistol grip issue comes in - with the "designed . . . to be aimed and fired from one hand" language.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can't claim any expertise in the applicable laws, however one of my main concerns would be the possibility of the long gun getting stolen if left in a vehicle. Depending on where you are, a firearm in plain site could be too hard to resist for many BG's.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here is Indiana's statutory definition of a "handgun," requiring a LTCH to have in a vehicle:

"IC 35-47-1-6
    'Handgun'
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:

You can see where the pistol grip issue comes in - with the "designed . . . to be aimed and fired from one hand" language.

OK, so if it has a pistol grip and a vertical foregrip, would that make it an AOW or a shotty, designed to be fired with two hands? (or both?)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Whoever can fire a pistol gripped 12 guage one handed is a complete stud.

Why thank you. :D

If the overall length just has to be under 26", does that mean it's legal to run around with the pistol grip shotgun under the trenchcoat?

Or, if you're a fan of OC, strapped to your back?

Also, does the long gun in the vehicle have to be in plain sight, or could it be tucked away?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the overall length just has to be under 26", does that mean it's legal to run around with the pistol grip shotgun under the trenchcoat?

If the overall length is under 26", you're in trouble, even if you pay the federal tax.

You can "run around" with a pistol grip shotgun over 26" under your trenchcoat if comply with Jeremy's Silly Shotgun Doctrine:

1. You are as hot as Milla Jovovich, AND,
    2. You have a LTCH as your goofy shotgun is considered a handgun under Indiana law.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

"IC 35-47-1-6
    'Handgun'
    (2) any firearm with:

I don't care if that's the opinion of the court, it's a stupid interpretation, calling a shotgun (with an 18" barrel) and a pistol grip a handgun. I'd like to see the idiot lawyer who decided that go ahead and try to shoot my 870 one-handed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If the overall length is under 26", you're in trouble, even if you pay the federal tax....

In most cases, yes, Kirk, but correct me if I'm mistaken, I think such aminals as the Serbu Super Shorty or the KEG-12 are excluded. IIRC, made from a 12g that has only ever had a pistol grip, they are considered AOWs and transfer for $5.00.
    super_shorty_870.jpg
    Serbu
    holstersm2.jpg
    Serbu in holster-OC Party! :p (note that I do not believe these are being commercially made anymore)
    KEG12-7in_grip_up.jpg
    KEG-12

I'm guessing you were only referring to the statute on SBSs, but since this was never designed to be shoulder-fired, it falls outside that law. Silly, but hell, take advantage of it if you can afford to do so!

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom