• ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My Thoughts...

I know the NFL referee lockout is annoying, and I too can't wait for it to be over, but I think I am going to have to side with the owners on this one. Part Time NFL employee's are wanting a pension?!?! Really. For the majority of these guys this is a second career not a first one. Sure they count on the money and plan their lives with it in mind, but they are not dumb men to be at this level of officiating; I am sure it doesn't break their bank and that this isn't their only retirement. Look at Ed Hochuli, he is a successful attorney. Do you think he needs the money? Listening to Chris Carter on Mike & Mike he shared the briefing the NFL gave ESPN before the season started. He shared that the NFL is looking long term and at ways to improve the game. Sure, the here is now is annoying, especially after situations like last night, but I believe the owners and the commissioner need to get this right, and not react to situations. Is the officiating bad? ... Yes. Is it annoying? ... H*** Yeah. Do we need and want the "real" guys back? ... Absolutely. But does the right business decision need to be made by the officials and the NFL? .... Yes, in my book this is more important for the longevity of the game. I mean I don't think the NFL looses any leverage until the rating and the revenue drop. Ratings are still high, stadiums are still full, and the players are still showing up. Until the player, coaches, and fans strike, the NFL hasn't lost anything but PR. I love the way Steve Young stated it ... "Everything about the NFL now is inelastic for demand. There's nothing they can do to hurt the demand for the game. So the bottom line is they don't care."

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    ^You're right, I should spend every second of my days left counting my ammo and preaching the good word of limited government to everyone I see.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Those saying you would stop watching the games, no you wouldn't. Not if you actually have a team you are a fan of. Maybe if you are just kinda so-so on football, but if you are a fan you would have watched anyway.

The NFL caved to the union because they got the leverage. It happens, it was a negotiation and its business. The union wanted hefty raises and a pension plan for part time workers. The NFL didn't, the union won because of one game.

The NFL caved because of perception, not for fear of people not watching. Every single NFL fan was going to watch the same as they did before. I am not going to stop watching my team unless its replacement players.

Cesna, the Packers have discussed sitting out games until the refs are back. Maybe we should join them?

How do you know what the Packers have been discussing? Are you in on team meetings?

You really think the players are going to sit out and skip those game checks? You really think the team is going to not play and skip that TV revenue, ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, parking, etc.

Yeah not a chance. There was one game that the refs directly effected the outcome, that happens in all sports with the normal refs from time to time.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Those saying you would stop watching the games, no you wouldn't. Not if you actually have a team you are a fan of. Maybe if you are just kinda so-so on football, but if you are a fan you would have watched anyway.

The NFL caved to the union because they got the leverage. It happens, it was a negotiation and its business. The union wanted hefty raises and a pension plan for part time workers. The NFL didn't, the union won because of one game.

The NFL caved because of perception, not for fear of people not watching. Every single NFL fan was going to watch the same as they did before. I am not going to stop watching my team unless its replacement players.

How do you know what the Packers have been discussing? Are you in on team meetings?

You really think the players are going to sit out and skip those game checks? You really think the team is going to not play and skip that TV revenue, ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, parking, etc.

Yeah not a chance. There was one game that the refs directly effected the outcome, that happens in all sports with the normal refs from time to time.

People know the Packers have talked about it because at least one player has tweeted about them talking about it on the flight home.

The deal should be close. King Goodell came down from his throne long enough to apologize to the fans for the crappy replacement officials.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I'm a fan of a team that gets no coverage in the area, I check the scores online so I could easily avoid watching the games. I also know they talked about because, as Sepe stated, one player tweeted about it and others have spoken about it on various radio shows. I don't believe everything I hear, but when multiple people that were in on the discussions say they did it, I tend to believe that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom