• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    wouldnt cable locking a locked case to say a pipe in the house solve the transport issue with the case?

Or if you have the wire-type shelves in your closet maybe you can run the cable lock through those. Added benefit of having the hanging clothes hide the rifle.

ZbbTR.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    How exactly does an SBR have to be secured? Is a cable lock through the magwell and out the ejection port good enough? Do I HAVE to have a case with a lock? Does it have to be a hard case?

Just wondering cause I have some cable locks laying around, but the only case I have right now is HUGE!
    Any links to where this is written would be great.
    Thanks guys.

It doesn't have to be secured in any particular way. Everyone, as usual, is cobbling together myth, BS and fact to make requirements that do not exist. The fact part is that there is a safe harbor for an NFA owner who moves permanently from an NFA state to a non-NFA state. They can leave the NFA item with a friend or relative as long as it is inaccessible.

"Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have? NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location."

If you're just going down to the corner market for a pack of smokes you don't have to do anything in particular. I wouldn't leave it on the front porch, but there are no requirements that you encase it in concrete, either.

I don't know why gun owners LOVE to make this stuff so complicated and scary. Use common sense to ensure that no one casually steals or plays with it and you'll be fine.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It doesn't have to be secured in any particular way. Everyone, as usual, is cobbling together myth, BS and fact to make requirements that do not exist. The fact part is that there is a safe harbor for an NFA owner who moves permanently from an NFA state to a non-NFA state. They can leave the NFA item with a friend or relative as long as it is inaccessible.

"Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have? NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location."

If you're just going down to the corner market for a pack of smokes you don't have to do anything in particular. I wouldn't leave it on the front porch, but there are no requirements that you encase it in concrete, either.

I don't know why gun owners LOVE to make this stuff so complicated and scary. Use common sense to ensure that no one casually steals or plays with it and you'll be fine.

^^This^^

One additional point I would raise. If the NFA device is possessed by an employee of the owner, no transfer takes place (as long as it is not unlawful for the employee to possess firearms), regardless of the ownership structure or organization. The business need not be a FFL holder.

So if you own a business in your own name and have employees, and you have NFA firearms registered in your name, it is perfectly lawful for you to temporarily give those NFA firearms to any employee, as long as there is no actual or implied transfer of ownership, it is lawful for the employee to possess the NFA firearm, and the employee maintains a copy of the tax stamp and a letter authorizing its possession.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    ^^This^^

One additional point I would raise. If the NFA device is possessed by an employee of the owner, no transfer takes place (as long as it is not unlawful for the employee to possess firearms), regardless of the ownership structure or organization. The business need not be a FFL holder.

So if you own a business in your own name and have employees, and you have NFA firearms registered in your name, it is perfectly lawful for you to temporarily give those NFA firearms to any employee, as long as there is no actual or implied transfer of ownership, it is lawful for the employee to possess the NFA firearm, and the employee maintains a copy of the tax stamp and a letter authorizing its possession.

Is there any way you could send me a link to the text of this exclusion? I've never heard of this before other than in a corporation, partnership or trust.

Top Bottom