• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Federal GOld medal Match 168's have been the best performing ammo for me on my 24" LR-308/ I am pulling 3/4" 5 shot groups at a hundred yards, using a scope and bipod. I have been working on replicating that result using Varget and sierra 168's. I know a lot of other people that are very happy with Varget, although there are some other great powders out there. Pick a good match bullet and start out at starting powder throws and work your way up. Every rifle has a little bit different sweet spot.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yup I got about 7lbs of Varget for my bolt guns, so yea that's what I plan on starting with. Just need a few more boxes of projectiles! Cant seem to find any in stock were Im at and never seem to catch it when its for sale on line.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    168gr Sierra Match Kings with 47.8gr (if I remember right) of CFE223

Varget, BLC2, and 4895 didn't shoot worth a damn though it, same with Barnes and Hornady match ammo.

For "plinking" loads, 44.7gr of Win748, not much on accuracy but good enough for making noise and shooting

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    168gr Sierra Match Kings with 47.8gr (if I remember right) of CFE223

Varget, BLC2, and 4895 didn't shoot worth a damn though it, same with Barnes and Hornady match ammo.

For "plinking" loads, 44.7gr of Win748, not much on accuracy but good enough for making noise and shooting

Thanks for info! I guess Ill have to look into getting some different powder. Although I do have a brand new bottle of 3031 I was gonna use to play with the bolt gun?.....

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I already load for my AR in 223 an use a factory crimp on all the rounds I load for it. So Im assuming I should factory crimp for my 308 AR as well?... Those that load for your AR10 based rifles do you factory crimp the rounds?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks for info! I guess Ill have to look into getting some different powder. Although I do have a brand new bottle of 3031 I was gonna use to play with the bolt gun?.....

I have a 16" barrel, M4 profile. With that CFE load, I can shoot sub .5 MOA groups. Seems like DPMS barrels vary a lot from a lot of various posts, so mine, like all, should be taken with a slice of skepticism. Without actually trying all of those loads, hard telling the results you'll get

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I already load for my AR in 223 an use a factory crimp on all the rounds I load for it. So Im assuming I should factory crimp for my 308 AR as well?... Those that load for your AR10 based rifles do you factory crimp the rounds?

I don't crimp my match loads. I don't know if any other competition shooters do or not. But I don't know of any reason you would NOT want to crimp a match load. There are others here that know better than I...

I'm referring to "competition" and "match" because that is what I equate to "best results" as you cited in your OP....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Federal GOld medal Match 168's have been the best performing ammo for me on my 24" LR-308/ I am pulling 3/4" 5 shot groups at a hundred yards, using a scope and bipod. I have been working on replicating that result using Varget and sierra 168's. I know a lot of other people that are very happy with Varget, although there are some other great powders out there. Pick a good match bullet and start out at starting powder throws and work your way up. Every rifle has a little bit different sweet spot.

+1 Varget will do the trick.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't crimp my match loads. I don't know if any other competition shooters do or not. But I don't know of any reason you would NOT want to crimp a match load. There are others here that know better than I...

I'm referring to "competition" and "match" because that is what I equate to "best results" as you cited in your OP....

I never crimp either for the AR or the M1a, and the M1a is surely not a gentle action. I do use a powder that fills up the case like 4064 or Varget, so the powder is compressed when you seat the bullet. With no extra room in the case, where is the bullet going to go?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I never crimp either for the AR or the M1a, and the M1a is surely not a gentle action. I do use a powder that fills up the case like 4064 or Varget, so the powder is compressed when you seat the bullet. With no extra room in the case, where is the bullet going to go?

Isn't it possible the bullet could be set back, compressing the powder charge and driving up start pressures? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why EVERY reloading manual out there recommends that bullets used from an autoloader be crimped?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Isn't it possible the bullet could be set back, compressing the powder charge and driving up start pressures? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why EVERY reloading manual out there recommends that bullets used from an autoloader be crimped?

Of course it's possible. But I believe Leo is pointing out what is common practice amongst Highpower competition shooters. You're splitting hairs... which would make you a good Highpower Rifle competitor..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I crimp any load I will be using from a magazine in an autoloader.

I only rely on neck-tension in my bolt action rifles.

This was kinda what I was thinking. An what im currently doing with the loads Im loading for my bolt guns an AR's. Ill probably crimp my LR308 ammo as well. Why not error on the side of caution.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

The answer to this is actually a resounding NO. No crimp has anywhere near the strength of a .001 neck tension.

How can a bullet be set back unless the nose is being slammed into the feed ramp? Bullet noses do not get slammed into the feed ramp in M1, M1A, or M16 rifles. The side of the bullet may slide along the feed ramp, but this gliding action cannot possibly push the bullet into the case. Even in machine guns.

Literally millions of 30.06, .308, and 5.56 rounds have been fired in compettion with no crimp whatsover. I have fired a few myself.

I do have to admit that I don't have any experience with the AR10 type rifle in 30 caliber.

You guys remember the year the Army shooters showed up for long range and kicked some butt with what was advertised as M16's but were actually AR10's? They were stock Armalite rifles that they wouldn't let anybody get a close look at...Mike Gingher had a hand in that and I'll bet he is still chuckling about that from the grave.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This was kinda what I was thinking. An what im currently doing with the loads Im loading for my bolt guns an AR's. Ill probably crimp my LR308 ammo as well. Why not error on the side of caution.

Let me clarify something though: neck tension, properly set, is better than a crimp for bullets that do not have a crimping groove, but it requires a lot more attention to setting up the dies, brass prep, and bullet selection. If you are going through the trouble to make match ammunition then choosing not to crimp is perfectly acceptable.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Let me clarify something though: neck tension, properly set, is better than a crimp for bullets that do not have a crimping groove, but it requires a lot more attention to setting up the dies, brass prep, and bullet selection. If you are going through the trouble to make match ammunition then choosing not to crimp is perfectly acceptable.

Ok thanks:yesway:

Top Bottom