• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Some interesting stats and info to say the least. It is amazing how costly the war was in terms of lives and equipment, and how amazing it is that more people were not killed.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded in combat and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. (His benefits were later restored by act of Congress).

I want to meet him.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Nice link...Rep.

Among the first "Germans" captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were capture by the US Army.

WOW@!!

Plus the Graf Spee..

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Coincidence

Interesting coincidence, this post. My father passed away, @ 90 years old, last September and yesterday I was sorting through some of his military papers. I found out a lot of things I did'nt know. I came across a citation for (35) sorties behind enemy lines, as a foreward observer in the 104th (Timberwolf) Infantry, field artillery. I remember him telling me about being in one of those Piper Cubs behind the enemy lines, when a shell broke the prop and bounced off the cowl. They(he and his pilot) put the thing down and found their way back to his unit. Other info shows service in Belgum, France,and Germany, as well as the Battle of the Bulge. I'm getting more of a feel for the phrase "The Greatest Generation".

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    It should be retitled to : The Fog of War

Example:
    Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Lots of stuff there I didn't know. I was old enough at the time to know what was going on and listened to all the "news" on the radio.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    "Vwery interesting!" to quote Artie Johnson

The information about the Graf Spee seems inaccurate, casting doubt on many of the other claims. An Internet search will bring much information about the end of the Graf Spee.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "Vwery interesting!" to quote Artie Johnson

The information about the Graf Spee seems inaccurate, casting doubt on many of the other claims. An Internet search will bring much information about the end of the Graf Spee.

I had some doubts about a few other things as well but have not had the time to confirm or deny.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded in combat and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. (His benefits were later restored by act of Congress).

Can you imagine one of your sons joining the service at 12 years old? My son has been in the USAF for 10 years and it was tough to see him go at 18! (that was before 9-11)

Top Bottom