• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Seeing the resurrected thread about fire pistons, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...edness/65927-fire_pistons_and_char_cloth.html, got me to thinking about cotton balls smeared with Vaseline, which are used as tinder to start fires. I have used them, and they work, but they are very messy to handle. "There must be a better way", I thought to myself. So I got some lint from the dryer and folded it to about the size three dice. Then I took a lit candle and dripped wax around the outside of the bundle. When the wax hardens, it's a lot less messy then Vaseline. I then used a firesteel to try and light it. It would not take a spark at first, but when I broke the bundle in half and exposed the lint, it caught fire on the very next try. I burned for several minutes.

Just wanted to share my idea for a less messy alternative to Vaseline balls. (Although I doubt I invented the idea, I DID think of it by myself.)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...edness/65927-fire_pistons_and_char_cloth.html

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    do you think these could be made by dunking lint nuggets into a double boiler or similar setup filled with wax? probably make a good sized batch that way. i've been wanting to make some fire starters using soy wax left over from when my wife makes candles. more than anything i'm curious about how soy wax works compared to the old standby when it comes to fire starters.

i remember making something similar to this when i was in cub scouts but i think we just stirred the lint up into the wax? it's been a while, but i do remember they worked reasonably well for fire starters.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    a lot of people do this on the bushcraft forums. they just leave a good amount sticking out like a wick and then it takes the sparks right away or they mix a part of cotton sticking out like a wick also. any will work

another good version is to back the dryer lint into the cardboard egg boxes and then cover most with wax leaving the center exposed again. let it harden for a couple hours and you can break them a apart and they will burn for 4-5 minutes.

my personal favorite is the fire straws. take a straw seal one end by lighting it on fire and mushing it together. then melt some vasoline and put in the straw, push cotton in, more vasoline, more cotton ect. cut them into 1 inch strips and seal both ends. its water proof and can fit most anywhere. its not mess at all. when it comes time to use it. you just cut one end of push out a chunk of cotton fluff it up and light. then seal the straw back up until your ready again.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    My Fail

I did the egg carton thing on Sunday and kinda sorta got carried away. I kept putting wax over the lint and forgot about the wick part. Tried to start one with my blast match and the sparks wouldn't catch. Used a zippo and the cardboard caught and it burned so long that I got tired of watching and put it out. Oh well I have more lint, wax and another egg carton. So back to the drawing board.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Instead of Vaseline I carry triple antibiotic ointment packets. It burns just like Vaseline but can also be used for first aid. Use cotton gauze instead of cotton balls. Again doubles for first aid. So instead of carrying fire starters just add more to your FAK. Make as you need.

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    I remember making some firestarters years ago in Boy Scouts. We took old newspapers and rolled them up tightly. We tied them up with butchers string and cut them in 2" sections and dipped them into wax. If I remember right the worked really well.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Instead of Vaseline I carry triple antibiotic ointment packets. It burns just like Vaseline but can also be used for first aid. Use cotton gauze instead of cotton balls. Again doubles for first aid. So instead of carrying fire starters just add more to your FAK. Make as you need.

Ditto, but I use bagbalm.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I made a pill bottle full of vaseline and dryer lint the other day. It was messy, but I figured in the field I can use a twig or knife to dig some out, or use my finger and rub the residue into my chapped hands.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I use a square cake pan and line the bottom of it with dryer lint several layers thick then pour melted wax from old used up candles over it. I have also tried using corrugated cardboard rolled into little "rounds" taped and soaked in wax a few times. They both burn for a long time but the cardboard is tougher to light. Oh, about the lint, the best stuff is from a wool blanket. Just dampen it and throw it in the dryer for a cycle and you will have way more lint than you need without taking too much away from the blanket.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    TJ, when you make those in the cake pan, do you make like a lint/wax brownie? Cut it out and make a "bar" out of it? That sounds pretty cool actually...

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    all plastic chew cans filled with fire starter log, crumble off and repack. top off with 5 or so strike anywhere matches wrapped in saran wrap. seal with a wrap of electrical tape. pop the top burn plastic and all. keep a few everywhere.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    TJ, when you make those in the cake pan, do you make like a lint/wax brownie? Cut it out and make a "bar" out of it? That sounds pretty cool actually...
    Sometimes. Other times I take it out while it's still soft and roll it into a log, then slice it....The log slices unroll and work really well over a larger area but don't burn quite as long. Don't use too much wax though or it gets really hard to light with just a fire steel. I just discovered how flammable moth balls are and am going to experiment with them soon, sort of double duty. They could be used to start fires and will keep moths out of my wool blanket at the same time.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Ditto, but I use bagbalm.
    That stuff kinda smells like bacon grease.
    I've always kept cotton balls in a zip lock baggy but keep a travel size tube of antibacterial ointment. I never thought to use the gauze but I guess now I can yank the cotton and replace it with something more useful.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    All the above are great ideas, but make sure in a drenching rain and wind you can start a fire without them. Learn what to collect and dry as you walk. Learn where to find dry tinder.

It is a perishable skill that you have to keep up on.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    These are all really great ideas guys, thanks.

I look forward to experimenting with Moth balls as well. I've known about their flammability since my pyromaniac days as a kid :)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    These are all really great ideas guys, thanks.

I look forward to experimenting with Moth balls as well. I've known about their flammability since my pyromaniac days as a kid :)
    I tried them last night. They burn really hot but take too much to light. When I throw them in the coals from the wood stove they go POOF and burn really well, but the firesteel and bic don't light them very well even when they're broken up....Just a heads up, plus they smell really bad when they burn and since they are toxic I assume it's not good...

Top Bottom