• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    What makes these light weight? Are the recievers made if different materials?

I looked at a thinner profile barrel, lightweight BCG, lightweight handgaurd (the MI handgaurd I got only weights 9.3oz w/ the barrel nut!). Like AV mentioned ounces turn into pounds. A lot of people over look the scope and mount also. The Aero mount I went with weighs in at less than 4oz, also the butt stock setup is a big place to shave weight. I planned this build over about the last 4 months sourcing parts and researching different weights of everything. Just get a plan of what your intended purpose of the rifle is and start researching the stuff to meet that goal.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If you're into small diameter, lightweight, keymod handguards, the BCM KMR-A is very lightweight without the $$$ penalty of the magnesium alloy KMR. I really like the way the KMR mounting system works too; more solid than the Troy-style clamp method, and no shim's like some others ([STRIKE]Noveske NSR's[/STRIKE] some Seekins use(d?) shims). I'd like to try the ALG handguard too.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    How does the Noveske NSR use shims?

I was incorrect; I was recalling the installation of a Seekins MCSR.

[STRIKE]The NSR's come with several shims of various thicknesses. The shims go between the barrel and the barrel nut and are used to clock the barrel nut so the 1913 rail is at 12 O'Clock and and the nut is properly torqued.[/STRIKE] This video does a good job of [STRIKE]explaining what I'm talking about...[/STRIKE] showing how an NSR is actually installed.
    [video=youtube;XKzYxN-QlVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzYxN-QlVg[/video]

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They're nice. I've only read good things, and my VooDoo barrel (I didn't have the ultra light) was a good barrel (sold it to fund a DD upper). They aren't well known, so I think the prices are lower than comparable quality barrels.

Anyone have any experience with voodoo inovations evo ultra barrels?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You hit the nail on the head AV, It really all comes down to what your intended purpose of the rifle is. I wanted something that had a bit more capability than a standard 16" carbine, little longer barrel with a magnified optic to help reach out past 100yrds or so. I wanted to keep it light so I could tote it around in Run-N-Gun or tactical carbine matches and not be drug down by a heavy weight rifle. If it were strictly going to be something I shot from the bench or prone then oh yea by all means Id have a heavy barrel and the Hubble telescope on there for an optic. I wanted this rifle to be able to shoot around MOA at 100yrds with good ammo consistently and it seems to be meeting that goal thus far. I plan on doing some load testing for it, but over all Im very happy with it.

This is great.

I've switched guns a few times, especially after hiking miles on coyote calling outings.
    Earlier in this thread I said my SPR(ish) build was 7.5 lbs, it's actually closer to 8.2 lbs with optic and empty 20 rd mag

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    This is great.

I've switched guns a few times, especially after hiking miles on coyote calling outings.
    Earlier in this thread I said my SPR(ish) build was 7.5 lbs, it's actually closer to 8.2 lbs with optic and empty 20 rd mag

Oh yea I could see how that would be a bit of a pin toting that around for an extended period. Not that 8lbs is ridiculously heavy or anything but after a while you start to notice it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks!!! All the 1-6x scopes I looked at weigh about the same or more. For an SPR style rifle Id lean more toward getting a bit more magnification.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Was able to do a quick video review of it for the channel. This rifle is quickly becoming one of my favorites, love the way it shoots. Its very easy to control and maneuver.

[video=youtube;jGgFJMvvUtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgFJMvvUtc[/video]​

Top Bottom