• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I'm working on a new lightweight AR build that I'd like to gear towards self protection in the house. I know there are better options for that, but I don't give a rip. I just want to build a cool, lightweight AR, period. Anyway, I've been going back and forth on a 14.5"+pinned and welded brake/flash hider or a 16" with brake/flash hider. For a CQB application, is the 1.5" length difference a big deal? The weight difference between the two barrels I'm looking at is negligible (Faxon 14.5"-1.09lbs vs. Faxon 16-"1.19lbs). Also wondering if the headache of getting the barrel pinned and welded worth it for this application. Appreciate any feedback.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    For simplicity's sake (and a little less of a wallet burn) just go with the 16 inch barrel.

You want it to be cool, though. So it's really up to you. That's the fun about custom builds.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I also would just get a 16" pencil barrel and stick it to that! There is a lot of info out on there on light weight builds so don't be afraid to use google! I know when you start obsessing over ounces though it can get expensive if you aren't careful so just try to be reasonable, and build something that's "useable."

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    For me, I can feel how much shorter the 14.15" pinned/welded is vs the 16", especially when we clear rooms at work. Go simple hand guards, either m4 or magpul MOE, light mount and you can do a 14.5" pencil barrel. Go lightweight stock (bcm's gunfighter is a good choice) and either light BUIS with a micro red dot or carry handle.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you will never be tempted to change anything on the complete rifle, go with the 14.5" barrel. Personally I'd never pin/weld because it seems like I'm switching/upgrading something every couple months.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    If you will never be tempted to change anything on the complete rifle, go with the 14.5" barrel. Personally I'd never pin/weld because it seems like I'm switching/upgrading something every couple months.

As long as you don't want to go new FH, gas block, or free float rail, you're good. You can still swap out hand guards with a two piece model and I think shaved/no Front sight gas blocks are over rated unless you're doing long range work with a scope. But, yeah, I agree that if you don't want to change stuff all the time, 14.5" is the way to go.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    SBR

You know you want to - Just go for it! :rockwoot:
    200 bucks for doing it the right way, the first time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For a CQB application, is the 1.5" length difference a big deal?

Doc, do this: get a blue pistol and a blue M4 and 2 buddies.

Either go up on the second floor (like a loft in a house) or use a ladder and look down at your buddies pointing their blue guns the same direction, side by side. See how there is no real difference between the pistol and the carbine?

You now have your answer.:D

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I would go for the 16" barrel. I have toyed around with getting a 14.5 welded and pinned, but believe the cons override to the pros.

Ever want to add a suppressor...... makes it a lot more difficult.
    Ever want to try a new flash hider and/or comp.... makes it more difficult.

If you want a short barrel, go for a SBR. Otherwise 16" should be fine for what you are trying to accomplish.

I am also more of a fan of full length free float hand guards, like the KMR. They are light weight and thin. Plus, you can rest any part of the rifle on a object without affecting accuracy, such as a door frame.... but interior distances, it wont matter as much.....unless you have a really long hallway

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Though the tactical operators will tell you this is silly, you can buy a DPMS ORC for under $500 now. Small, light, cheap. Plenty good for home defense... until it hits the internet. "You can't trust your life to a DPMS. They're crap!"

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Though the tactical operators will tell you this is silly, you can buy a DPMS ORC for under $500 now. Small, light, cheap. Plenty good for home defense... until it hits the internet. "You can't trust your life to a DPMS. They're crap!"

Maybe you missed the part of the OP where it stated they were building a rifle and were asking for Pros/cons on barrel length..... If he asked which rifle he could buy for under 500 dollars that would be suitable for home defense, then chime in with you DPMS is good enough comment

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    SBR

You know you want to - Just go for it! :rockwoot:
    200 bucks for doing it the right way, the first time.

Yeah, as much as I'd love to go down the SBR route, this one won't be it. Going to avoid the ATF headache this time around, but will give me an excuse to start another build down the road.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Go with 16". A 14.5" with a 1.5" pinned muzzle device is NOT that much shorter than a 16" with A2 birdcage flash hider. Here is a pic for proof:
    Noveske 14.5" w/pinned 1.5 BattleComp and 16" Colt 6940

attachment.php

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really like my 14.5" Colt barrel w/ pinned & welded BC1.5. Worked great in CQB classes near barricades, corners, etc... It can also score KD rifleman out to 400 yards no problem.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Go with 16". A 14.5" with a 1.5" pinned muzzle device is NOT that much shorter than a 16" with A2 birdcage flash hider. Here is a pic for proof:
    Noveske 14.5" w/pinned 1.5 BattleComp and 16" Colt 6940

attachment.php

This is true, you aren't talking about that much length. Your 14.5 pinned still has to equal 16" so adding 1.5" and your A2 doesn't add too much. You are worrying about such a minuscule thing when you start looking at it that way...

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    This is true, you aren't talking about that much length. Your 14.5 pinned still has to equal 16" so adding 1.5" and your A2 doesn't add too much. You are worrying about such a minuscule thing when you start looking at it that way...

I know it's personal preference, but I could tell the difference when doing tight room clearing. I'm going SBR for a work gun using DOD M16a1s. If we didn't have the a1s, I'd go 14.5" pinned/welded. If you want to avoid SBR and want it short, I'd go with the 14.5". BCM uses that setup for their EAG offerings. The flash hider can always be removed down the road.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I mean an inch is an inch... I'm not saying there isn't a difference but for me it's a rifle or an SBR. And an SBR with a can most of the time is 16" anyhow. That's how I'm thinking. My rifle I use for home defense is 16" and I just don't have too many problems, but I'm not saying there aren't clear advantages for anything that's shorter no matter how much. I still think the difference between 16 and 17 while small isn't like 10 or 12 compared to 16.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I mean an inch is an inch... I'm not saying there isn't a difference but for me it's a rifle or an SBR. And an SBR with a can most of the time is 16" anyhow. That's how I'm thinking. My rifle I use for home defense is 16" and I just don't have too many problems, but I'm not saying there aren't clear advantages for anything that's shorter no matter how much. I still think the difference between 16 and 17 while small isn't like 10 or 12 compared to 16.

^Precisely, and I have 3 14.5" uppers. If I'm going the SBR route, it's going to be 12.5" or below. I chose a 10.5" Noveske for a MK18 Mod0 clone.

Top Bottom