• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Shelter up like a squirrel, get out of the wind, get your fire and reflector going. Sit your tin can of water next to the fire and you will be fine.

Find a climashield 0-20 degree bag, and a goretex bivy and you are set.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Eureka bivvy w/ rain fly, drop cloth, stakes, hammer, 1.5 pound Lafuma 40 degree bag, microfleece insert to add a little extra cushion/warmth. Entire sleeping system fits in a day pack. It's not comfortable at freezing temps but is compact and keeps me alive.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Shelter up like a squirrel, get out of the wind, get your fire and reflector going. Sit your tin can of water next to the fire and you will be fine.

Find a climashield 0-20 degree bag, and a goretex bivy and you are set.
    And what of the times when you cannot have a fire... :popcorn:
    LOL... :):

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    i got the military modular sleep system.

I was thinking of getting the....wiggy i think its called. But with the US GI sleep system it has 3 bags in 1. So you can mix and match depending on the weather at night.

Bought it new at the gun show for 150 bucks. The only problem I see with the wiggy is that its for cold weather temps. I find it that the US GI gor-tex bag would be perfect for an all weather purpose.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My lightweight system is a Wubbie of my own design, based off the Kirafu Woobie, but smaller, lighter and 10% more insulation. (3.3 oz climashield). One side is OD the other is ultralight ripstop MC and 100% waterproof.

It packs small, and I have used it sleeping in leaves, without a fire down to 22 degrees. Slept like a baby.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Then you better put down 5 times more ground insulation in your shelter than you think you will need. Eat some peanut butter before crawling in. If you are that tire you will sleep fine. For a short while.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Heat is transferred at a speed that is directly related to how dense the material is. Therefore the ground will suck your body heat away faster than when sleeping on a pad. By the same reasoning a bed of thick leaves will allow you to maintain more body heat than just sleeping on the ground. In a pinch I've used a few several newspapers on the ground followed by an army blanket as my ground pad.
    But now I'm spoiled and have a very nice thermarest pad to sleep on and it is comfy.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    ^^^^^^^:laugh::laugh:

lol :D i just watched the video .....was that Charlie Brown ......keep waiting for snoopy the dog to show up........

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Since we're on this topic

What kind of sleeping bag do you have? (if any)

Please provide Name/brand and price if you can and why you chose that sleeping system.
    WIGGYS

FYI: If you wrap your ass in a space blanket in below freezing temps you will likely die from frostbite or hypothermia. The blanket does not breath, your body does. It is a reflector of heat, not a bag/wrap you want to sleep in. You will be soaked.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    WIGGYS

FYI: If you wrap your ass in a space blanket in below freezing temps you will likely die from frostbite or hypothermia. The blanket does not breath, your body does. It is a reflector of heat, not a bag/wrap you want to sleep in. You will be soaked.
    ya I tell anyone who says they'll just a space blanket to try one out first in their backyard first. I'd use one as a temp cover. (Think injured person waiting for medi-vac.
    In this weather I use a down filled sleeping bag rated to 15 degrees.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I did it in 1971 in California during winter, 50 degrees, massive fog rolled in, I was in a hammock with a space blanket. It was an Xmas gift from my Dad to go with my survival gear. I was 8 and I wanted to do it. My Dad said go for it but use it as a reflector over you, not a tight wrap.

Did I listen? No. Of course he knew I wouldn't, great, long lasting lesson.

Top Bottom