• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Finalized my application for my lifetime today by paying the local fee and turning in my L-1 receipt. The lady at the Plainfield Police Department informed me that since my current 4 year license expires tomorrow, it is illegal for me to carry after that until my new license arrives. I politely told her this was incorrect and that as long as I applied for renewal within 30 days of expiration, my current license was valid until the new one arrives. She insisted that I would be in violation of the law.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    **** Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    ****(b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4; P.L.47-2010, SEC.2.
    :ingo:

I really want to print this out and take it to her. If anyone should be familiar with ths code, it's the people in charge of handling applications and renewals.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I really want to print this out and take it to her. If anyone should be familiar with ths code, it's the people in charge of handling applications and renewals.

You should.

If she just didn't know, that would be one thing, but her deliberate unsolicited misinforming is another level of unacceptable.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I have seen a lot of people commenting on how they just renewed their LTCH. It got me wondering why anyone would even bother with a 4 year? I figure the only people remotely interested would be those that plan to move out of state soon. Otherwise, what reason is there for a 4 year? It isn't much more expensive to do the lifetime and you don't ever have to hassle with it again. Just curious.
    Good on you for knowing the law.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I first got the 4 year because I didn't have the cash for the lifetime. Since I didn't even have a pistol in a carry caliber I could have saved even more by just getting a target/hunting license. I first got something to carry and then when it came due I got the lifetime. A friend of mine has the 4 year because as he says he likely won't survive the license due to his health situation. Lots of folks have reason for it. Don't be so quick to judge. And welcome to INGO.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    +1 to the above. ^^

Do not cause a stink at the county office...

TK

It wouldn't be to make a stink, but rather to keep someone less informed from being mislead into not carrying when they are perfectly legal to do so. Based on her attitude, it would likely be more beneficial if she heard it from an officer or her supervisor rather than from me again.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Did you have to wait until your 4 year expired, or can you get the lifetime at any time during your 4 year license period? I'm kind of in a similar boat. Got the 4 year because the plan was to leave the state, now I'm about 2 years deep and am now planning on sticking around, didn't know if I had to wait or if I can get the lifetime whenever.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off judgmental. Didn't realize it sounded so judgmental until I reread it now. I figured there were good reasons for it, just not sure what they were. Didn't think of the hunting pistols and getting one for that reason. Thanks!!!

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    She's probably the same person that told me my license would take 6-8 weeks even though I used L1. This was about a year and a half ago. Needless to say she was wrong. It's not worth arguing with ignorant people it only brings you down and you can't fix stupid. :twocents:

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Let me throw this out there for comment as I truly don't know the answer. Could there be a technicality in that the Lifetime LTCH is actually a "new license" and not a renewal of your 4 year license? Just thinking out loud...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Let me throw this out there for comment as I truly don't know the answer. Could there be a technicality in that the Lifetime LTCH is actually a "new license" and not a renewal of your 4 year license? Just thinking out loud...

Nope. Just a simple renewal with no expiration.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Did you have to wait until your 4 year expired, or can you get the lifetime at any time during your 4 year license period? I'm kind of in a similar boat. Got the 4 year because the plan was to leave the state, now I'm about 2 years deep and am now planning on sticking around, didn't know if I had to wait or if I can get the lifetime whenever.

Like someone posted above, you have to wait until your current LTCH is within a year (I was thinking it was less than that, but I'll defer) of expiration to renew/upgrade. It was my experience, when I did this a few years ago, even thiugh you applied early, they won't send your shiny new pink slip until about 30 days (maybe less) before your current 4-year LTCH expires.

My wife and I went for lifetime LTCH's at the same time. Her's was a first time application, mine was an upgrade. She got her's, seems like, weeks, maybe months, before I got my renewal.

Top Bottom