Lifetime Handgun Lic Cheaper than expected.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N

ndrews_18--

I went to the la Porte county sheriff office to get a application for a liftime handgun lic, They said now you can do it online which I thought was cool. I remember the last time I had to go in and fill out a big thing,give them there money, and then I had to mail it in.

Now Im happy its allot faster, I just forgot my old lic Number, But I know the guy in the Firearms division in Indy, so I asked him if he can look it up for me. That and I have been told it like 170-175 for the Lifetime Lic, According to the La porte county sheriff website it 75 money order state and 50 dollars cash to the county. 125 bucks I can get that, But 170 would have put a big dent in my money. :twocents:

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I think I paid 175. I wasn't aware that different municipalities could charge different prices for a state issued license. :dunno:

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    LTCH

I did everything online through L1 and it took me one week to get my permit after I went to the court house to pay state fees.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    $125 here in Howard County and I also had mine in about 4 weeks.

I do know that Kokomo requires you to fill out the online forms before you come in as they don't do the paper forms any more. When my buddy got his LTCH, a guy was yelling at the officer at how he didn't know he had to fill out online first, and then got belligerent and the officer told him he didn't even have to give him a LTCH.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    $125 here in Howard County and I also had mine in about 4 weeks.

I do know that Kokomo requires you to fill out the online forms before you come in as they don't do the paper forms any more. When my buddy got his LTCH, a guy was yelling at the officer at how he didn't know he had to fill out online first, and then got belligerent and the officer told him he didn't even have to give him a LTCH.

Must issue...

Sounds like the guy was understandably frustrated...

Josh

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Wow, a week? When I went through my local LEO and paid 125 total in january of 2008, I did not receive mine till May23rd of 2008. Nothing on my record or any issues, that's jus how long it took them to issue it.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    L1 is the way to go. My lifetime took 8-9 weeks, I don't remember exactly. Need to get the same for my wife, will definitely be taking the L1 route.

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    It was $125 for me in Hamilton co. I think it took about 6 weeks to get it, but my application coincided with Obama taking office. I think there may have been a bit of a rush on applications.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    By law, a lifetime LTCH is $125. If you're getting charged more, then someone is doing something incorrectly. It's even cheaper if you're renewing from an expiring 4-year license. If you choose to go the L1 route, L1 charges a nominal additional fee for processing your fingerprints.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.
    The superintendent and local law enforcement agencies shall allow an applicant desiring to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun to submit an application electronically under this chapter if funds are available to establish and maintain an electronic application system.
    (b) The law enforcement agency which accepts an application for a handgun license shall collect the following application fees:
    (1) From a person applying for a four (4) year handgun license, a ten dollar ($10) application fee, five dollars ($5) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued.
    (2) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun license who does not currently possess a valid Indiana handgun license, a fifty dollar ($50) application fee, thirty dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued.
    (3) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun license who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun license, a forty dollar ($40) application fee, thirty dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued.
    Except as provided in subsection (h), the fee shall be deposited into the law enforcement agency's firearms training fund or other appropriate training activities fund and used by the agency to train law enforcement officers in the proper use of firearms or in other law
    IC 35-47-2-4
    Qualified or unlimited licenses to carry handguns; fees; exemptions from payment of fees
    Sec. 4. (a) Licenses to carry handguns shall be either qualified or unlimited, and are valid for:
    (1) four (4) years from the date of issue in the case of a four (4) year license; or
    (2) the life of the individual receiving the license in the case of a lifetime license.
    A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice. The superintendent may adopt rules imposing limitations on the use and carrying of handguns under a license when handguns are carried by a licensee as a condition of employment. Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property.
    (b) In addition to the application fee, the fee for:
    (1) a qualified license shall be:
    (A) five dollars ($5) for a four (4) year qualified license;
    (B) twenty-five dollars ($25) for a lifetime qualified license from a person who does not currently possess a valid Indiana handgun license; or
    (C) twenty dollars ($20) for a lifetime qualified license from a person who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun license; and
    (2) an unlimited license shall be:
    (A) thirty dollars ($30) for a four (4) year unlimited license;
    (B) seventy-five dollars ($75) for a lifetime unlimited license from a person who does not currently possess a valid Indiana handgun license; or
    (C) sixty dollars ($60) for a lifetime unlimited license from a person who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun license.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think I paid 175. I wasn't aware that different municipalities could charge different prices for a state issued license. :dunno:

By law, a lifetime LTCH is $125. If you're getting charged more, then someone is doing something incorrectly. It's even cheaper if you're renewing from an expiring 4-year license. If you choose to go the L1 route, L1 charges a nominal additional fee for processing your fingerprints.

Yep, but some localities charge you the cost of the stamps (or require you to bring them in) to mail it in from what I've heard. So that might add a few cents to the cost. But not $50.

Must issue...

Sounds like the guy was understandably frustrated...

Josh

Yes it is shall issue, and I can understand the guy being frustrated. But that is no reason to take it out on the guy. Same as if he went in with a check or cash for the local or state fee and found out they only take money orders. Or brought in a form of ID/proof of IN residence/etc that they didn't accept. It is his responsibility to find out the procedures.

N

ndrews_18--

Yeah, I didnt know that either.

I would truely recomend L1, Most of my freinds and I went through it and no joke it took a week. its easy and quick.

Application for Handgun License heres the link to get you started.

Yeah thats the way the Sheriff Deputy told me to do it plus its the same link as on there website, Then you go in an get prints, give money and wait from the sounds of it. Either way I can save 125, for a lifetime lic.

It was $125 for me in Hamilton co. I think it took about 6 weeks to get it, but my application coincided with Obama taking office. I think there may have been a bit of a rush on applications.

Yeah I seen at least 3-4 people waiting and filling out info for prints, and there was a hugs stack of fingerprint papers by the office window. I would say there is a big rush. All I know is I m glad the process is allot faster than is used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
    N

ndrews_18--

I thought about having the wife get hers, But one time we a had a fight cause I cheated on her, and she hit me since she was mad. I didnt blame her. But at the time I put a police report on her that she hit me and left brusing. But We worked that all out and things are way better now.

But I dont know if a police report will block her from getting a Lifetime LIC?? Anyone know? No charges or anyhting else was ever done or said. Just me being stupid.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    You're actually paying two different fees. One to the state to process and issue the license. That's the same no matter where you live. The variable is how much your local police or sheriff's department charges for taking your finger prints and verifying your paperwork. Greenwood charges $50.00 dollars for their end of it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You're actually paying two different fees. One to the state to process and issue the license. That's the same no matter where you live. The variable is how much your local police or sheriff's department charges for taking your finger prints and verifying your paperwork. Greenwood charges $50.00 dollars for their end of it.

No, it's not. The fees that are charged are mandatad by state law. It is not up to the individual departments to decide how much to charge.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom