Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh! Did I forget to mention that Sylvain prefers the SWAT?

I like the SWAT but don't really prefer it over other models as I don't have experience with those.

I have the older version of the SOFT, the one with the screw, not the wider version.
    So I can't really talk about the SOFT wide.

I have no experience with the CAT either.I would like to get my hands on one but NAR doesn't ship directly to customers outside of the US and you see so many fakes online.

I've seen an obviously fake cat the other day (that someone had in his kit) that had the mention "DATE" and "TIME" on the band ... you're pretty screwed if you need to right the date on a tourniquet.Why not the year as well? :ugh:

There are many great models of tourniquets out there and it seems new models come out every year.

We can argue all day to know which one is the best.Some might be better than others in some areas.

To me the most important is just to get one, one two, or three ... and carry them, get good with them and get proper training to use them.

They all beat improvised tourniquets hands down.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Why are we hiding our equipment? At the least, why not wear the TQ on our belt? If more people did, when a mass incident occurs, it's easier to see who is carrying what, a la PD/Military. We could start to shift the culture by being overt in our preparedness...

I definitely understand the time/place to be more covert/gray man (which is also a consideration for what will/will not set off a metal detector), but otherwise...?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Mine is on my ankle, because my belt already has
    M&P .40
    Spare mag
    Cell phone
    Flashlight
    Multitool.

I'm kinda out of space, except near the pistol. And I don't want anything near it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I carry on my ankle for the same reason as Act.

The ankle kit is not as much for concealment as for convenience, comfort and it has more storage space than a belt TQ carrier. Another consideration for me is that the ankle kit with a SOFT-W, 4" Izzy, and two pair of gloves costs $58.99 with free shipping. A belt TQ pouch is anywhere from $20 - $60 and a SOFT-W is $30.

In My ankle kit I also carry a nasopharyngeal airway with lube, EMT shears, mask and a boo boo kit (for myself).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why are we hiding our equipment? At the least, why not wear the TQ on our belt? If more people did, when a mass incident occurs, it's easier to see who is carrying what, a la PD/Military. We could start to shift the culture by being overt in our preparedness...

I definitely understand the time/place to be more covert/gray man (which is also a consideration for what will/will not set off a metal detector), but otherwise...?

It depends where you are and what's your job.
    In some places having a tourniquet clearly visible on your belt will scream military or LEO and make you target.
    It might also show to others (cops and others) that you have a prepardness mindset and they might wondering what else you have on you (legal or not) than the average citizen doesn't have.

It also depends what you wear for work.If you're in a suit you can't really have a batman-style belt with a bunch of stuff.
    In some jobs in uniform with a bunch of crap on your belt they will still tell you what you can and cannot have on your belt.

Like other mentioned it's also good when you're already have too much crap in your pockets or on your belt.
    It's comfortable to drive with a kit on your ankle too, not so much on the small of your back.

And as far as other people using your kit on you it's more likely that other people don't have the training to use your stuff.If they did and took classes they would be carrying a kit themselves.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I'm not hiding mine. I keep my first-aid gear in pockets because it's convenient.

When I'm at a shooting event, I usually tell people that I know have significant medical training where to find my TQ, IBD, and gauze in case they need to use it on me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not hiding mine. I keep my first-aid gear in pockets because it's convenient.

When I'm at a shooting event, I usually tell people that I know have significant medical training where to find my TQ, IBD, and gauze in case they need to use it on me.

To you also tell people around you when you're about to unbox a new knife? :D

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I believe first aid should be taught in school at both a middle school and advanced high school level, let's teach kids stuff that actually matters vs liberal logic...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I believe first aid should be taught in school at both a middle school and advanced high school level, let's teach kids stuff that actually matters vs liberal logic...

It is taught in France in middle school since 2010 (AED use, CPR, baby/adult choking, hemorrhage control, recovery position and such).
    They get 8 hours of first aid traning to get their certification I believe.

In some European country first aid training is mandatory to get your driver's licence and a first aid kit must be in the vehicle.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

When someone asked why I'm carrying a trauma kit, I pointed out, that if my pistol is out, there is STUFF happening. And someone might be injured because of STUFF happening. And that person injured could be someone I'm protecting, and it could be ME.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It is taught in France in middle school since 2010 (AED use, CPR, baby/adult choking, hemorrhage control, recovery position and such).
    They get 8 hours of first aid traning to get their certification I believe.

In some European country first aid training is mandatory to get your driver's licence and a first aid kit must be in the vehicle.

Well in that aspect I wish the US would do the same. Zero first aid is taught, damn shame.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Good answers... In a similar vein to the above comments about the lack of education, there is a lack of preparedness. People complete the Stop The Bleed training, but how many ever purchase anything?

For those who have the Rescue Essentials ankle holster, can you put in additional equipment, or is it maxed out with what it comes with?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well in that aspect I wish the US would do the same. Zero first aid is taught, damn shame.

I think the French government wants 40% of people to be taught basic first aid by 2022 or something like that (especially about the terrorist attacks of 2016).
    In some other European countries it's like 90%.I've seen a study on how many people were trained in CPR in Europe, France had some of the lowest numbers of people trained.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the French government wants 40% of people to be taught basic first aid by 2022 or something like that (especially about the terrorist attacks of 2016).
    In some other European countries it's like 90%.I've seen a study on how many people were trained in CPR in Europe, France had some of the lowest numbers of people trained.

I've heard of free training in London.
    Something about the large numbers of stabbings.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good answers... In a similar vein to the above comments about the lack of education, there is a lack of preparedness. People complete the Stop The Bleed training, but how many ever purchase anything?

For those who have the Rescue Essentials ankle holster, can you put in additional equipment, or is it maxed out with what it comes with?

I have the Dark Angel ankle kit. I added a second hemostatic bandage.
    No more room.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I use the RE and have added just an airway, mask and scissors. There is just so much room in my trousers leg. I should add some duct tape wrapped flat, to treat pneumothorax, there is no room for chest seals.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Since it has been mentioned in this thread that some tourniquets (windlass types like the CAT and others) made for full size adults with large limbs are not adapted to work on small children.

Something to consider if you're carrying a tourniquet and plan on potentially use it on your kids or other children.

Warning: Graphic content.

Kudos to the officer.:yesway:
    He still managed to stop the bleeding with direct pressure after he saw that the tourniquet wasn't working.
    Also a child crying the whole time is always a good sign. :yesway:

[video=youtube;uNe_Ulr3txs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe_Ulr3txs[/video]

Top Bottom