Life is good when you're a girl (a.k.a. 1911s are for chicks; PROOF)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I had mega troubles getting the slide stop of my newly purchased Springfield 1911 back IN. I'm not new to the 1911, so I know the disassembly/reassembly drill.
    However, this was THE tightest one I've ever encountered and that stupid plunger was NOT moving for me.

I do NOT want to put a scratch on that frame, so I resorted to calling a friend for some tips. He told me just about everything I'd already tried...even "you gotta hold your mouth just right".

Well...today, when I was cleaning it, I was racking my blonde brain for a solution... and I FOUND ONE.

It promptly went into my cleaning kit until this Springfield gets more broken in and allows that slide stop to slip in without it.

In my portable cleaning kit, I have a...

IMG_1978.jpg

Hair barrette!

IMG_1979.jpg

Flat, thin, strong, and rounded edges (no scratching!!)

Just pull the plunger back with it...hold it there, and drop the slide stop right in!!

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

How's that song go?? "♪♫I love being a girl!!♫♪"

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    There's true beauty in a photograph of manicured hands holding a 1911. Maybe that's why I like watching my wife fire mine.

And I will also be stealing a barrette from my better half.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't tried this myself, but I heard a playing card placed under the slide stop is thin enough to allow it to seat and will prevent any "dummy scratches" on the frame. Sounds good to me and I'll try it the next time I have a stubborn 1911.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Very nice tip. Have you considered putting the small divot in the back of the slide stop so you can push straight in? My 1911's both came with it machined in, but a gunsmith would just use a triangle file and make a few passes, something I bet you could do yourself.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Get tip for the women, maybe guys should use a spark plug feeler gauge :D

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I just seem to pinch my index finger every time i do it. I don't really understand the idiot scratch either. With everything line up it goes straight in.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I just seem to pinch my index finger every time i do it. I don't really understand the idiot scratch either. With everything line up it goes straight in.

Yes in a perfect world. My Springfield is VERY still and if you try to push it straight in without something holding the pin, the release will easily pop off of the pin and turn down scratching the frame. It sucks for sure but very easy to do and fairly easy to remedy.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There's true beauty in a photograph of manicured hands holding a 1911. Maybe that's why I like watching my wife fire mine.
    Meh. One of these days I'm gonna get a real manicure.
    Maybe.
    If it doesn't cut too deep into my gun money. :D

Everyone needs a Norton's Universal Cleaning Stick! (or three)
    CountyComm - Norton's U.C.S. (Universal Cleaning Stick)
    I'm positive a chick must have invented those...about two seconds after pinning up her hair to work on her 1911. ;)

I haven't tried this myself, but I heard a playing card placed under the slide stop is thin enough to allow it to seat and will prevent any "dummy scratches" on the frame. Sounds good to me and I'll try it the next time I have a stubborn 1911.
    I'm thinkin' paper would just get ripped and after you removed the card, you'd have a scratch you didn't count on.

Very nice tip. Have you considered putting the small divot in the back of the slide stop so you can push straight in?
    I needed a "right now" fix.

Get tip for the women, maybe guys should use a spark plug feeler gauge :D
    I don't even know what that is!

if you try to push it straight in without something holding the pin, the release will easily pop off of the pin and turn down scratching the frame.
    Yes, yes, yes, this ^.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This must be the new one you just received. All of my Springfield's are very tight. I keep set of jewelers screw drivers in my kit. They are small, thin blades and easily manipulate parts in these situations.
    This is a good idea. Are you related to my wife, sounds like something she would come up with. It is why I keep her around.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This must be the new one you just received. All of my Springfield's are very tight. I keep set of jewelers screw drivers in my kit. They are small, thin blades and easily manipulate parts in these situations.
    It is, indeed. I have a set of those, too...but figured if it slipped, I'd be sporting a scratch. I didn't want to chance it.
    Ha!!!

I see what you did there with that title...

LOL!
    ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why is a little scratch a big deal?:dunno: It is a gun they get scratched and show holster wear. It what happens.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Cause when JG trades it in on a Glock the dealer will devalue the SA for all the Scratches... :popcorn:
    Trade in? That seems like blaspamey. Guessing JG is against the Glock. Seems like it would be a good shower gun. Does soap scum build up on the polymer?

Top Bottom