• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    My stepson is wanting to apply for his carry license. He is 20 but his brother who is a state trooper said he has to be 21. I was told 18 to get the carry permit but the gun would have to be registered to someone over 21. He just bought a G17 but his mother had to do the actual purchase. Thanks

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Shame on state trooper brother for passing along bad info. :noway:

18 to get Indiana License To Carry Handgun.
    18 to buy a handgun from any other Indiana resident.
    21 for an FFL (dealer) to sell him a handgun.

Guns are not registered to anyone of any age in Indiana.

From IC 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-3

(g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    IC 35-47-2-7

Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Shame on state trooper brother for passing along bad info. :noway:

18 to get Indiana License To Carry Handgun.
    18 to buy a handgun from any other Indiana resident.
    21 for an FFL (dealer) to sell him a handgun.

Guns are not registered to anyone of any age in Indiana.

Bummer that a state trooper doesn't know the correct information. It'd be better if he'd said he didn't know than being wrong.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Straw purchase?

I'd have to say, yes, it is.

The OP should be careful about coming on a public forum & admitting that they broke the law. Especially a gun forum about a firearm related law.

I'm going to assume that they didn't know that what they did was illegal. It is kind of a confusing area of the law. If his mom would have bought the gun as a gift it would be OK, but because she only bought it because he legally couldn't, even though he was legal otherwise except for the age requirement it is still illegal (i.e. a straw purchase).

But then again I'm not a lawyer or an ATF agent so...:dunno:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    My daughter at 18 applied for and received her Lifetime LTCH. At 18 I bought her a handgun for her birthday.
    Only problem she had was the local police where she lives do a face to face when signing off and he made her show ID to prove to him she was 18. Oh and which handgun she wanted. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Straw purchase?

I'd have to say no. I personally consider a straw purchase buying a handgun for someone, other than a someone 18-20 who is one owns offspring or legally adopted young adult, that could not pass a 4473.

I bought a gun for my dad at a gun show because he had been looking for one and the price was unbeatable, he is able to legally purchase a firearm and did just about a few weeks prior.

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Straw purchase?

IC 35-47-2-7

Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IC 35-47-2-7

That statute is for giving a firearm to a minor. It's got nothing to do with buying a handgun for a child who is over 18.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    It seems to me that even if it is illegal for a parent/guardian to purchase a firearm for the sole intent of giving said firearm to a son/daugher 18-20, it'd be impossible to prove. Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO unless an individual specifically states "I bought this firearm with the express and sole intent of giving said firearm to my child", the motive would be nearly unproveable in a court of law. A parent could simply state that they purchased the firearm, and decided 24 hours later that they did not want it and gifted it to their child aged 18-20. Am I off track here? :dunno:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They can absolutely buy it and give it as a gift. The caution comes from the OP which states:

He just bought a G17 but his mother had to do the actual purchase.

suggesting he gave her the money to go do the purchase since he couldn't (assuming purchase was made from FFL.)

Still a bit grey and hard to prove IMO.

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    I just got back on here today and one response kinda p-----d me off. It is the one about us breaking the law. The law quoted says that the exeception IS a parent child relationship. If you can't understand legal jargon then don't try to interprit the law.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I just got back on here today and one response kinda p-----d me off. It is the one about us breaking the law. The law quoted says that the exception IS a parent child relationship. If you can't understand legal jargon then don't try to interpret the law.

Fixed those for ya'. :D

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I wouldn't get too worked up over it :D Mosey on over to some other threads and you'll see that sometimes the proverbial gun is jumped and accusations are made. Seems to me that this is a somewhat grey area. :dunno: If I have a chance on Monday I'll speak with a few of the attorneys I work for and see if they can advise on the correct interpretation here. :popcorn:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The law quoted says that the exeception IS a parent child relationship. If you can't understand legal jargon then don't try to interprit the law.

Be careful not to misread or misquote legal jargon either.

The code excepts a parent-minor child relationship.

18 is no longer a minor child.

From the chapter referenced:

IC 35-47-2-10

IC 35-47-10-2
    "Adult" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "adult" means a person who is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12.

IC 35-47-10-3
    "Child" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "child" means a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12.

That's why it's grey.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom