• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't suppose you could have asked your question, if you were genuinely curious, without being insulting in doing it?

Because some of us vote on more than ONE issue. Also because some of us vote for the person, not the party.

I'm not a liberal and I'm not a conservative. Libertarian comes closest, but even then it's not a good fit.

Think of it this way: I may decide to vote for someone who is not gun friendly because their positions on other issues that I care deeply about are strong and they have good influence in those areas, and because their opponent(s) have positions on those issues that I find abhorrent and they are not particularly strong on gun rights. So I vote for the non gun friendly person. And I make sure that they know just how important gun rights are to me, along with the other issues. By doing that, I can influence their position. Who knows, maybe I've made them less anti-gun than they would have been otherwise. Far more of us are more middle of the road politically than are folks who are on either extreme of the political spectrum.
    :+1:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So this quote got me thinking. What task do you think that Conservatives are putting on the Church, that would be better done by the Government?

If anything, I thought you would have said that both sides ask Government to do the Church's job. Namely, spreading charity and morality.

That's certainly a valid way to look at it. I'm seeing it in what you might call existential terms: the Left wants the State to take over the function of the Church, making the Church's existence superfluous. The Right wants the opposite -- not so much to eliminate the State per se, but to turn the State into the Church... or have it absorbed, functionally speaking, by the Church. Theocracy is not so much a State run by the Church as a Church acting as the State.

FSquareSKS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    I used to consider myself a conservatively liberal democrat.... now I hate both parties... both of them have flushed america down..... Can we change the law to allow clinton back?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey! Some INGO members told me I was part of the Troll party! Turns out I'm just Libertarian!

2lu2zkn.png

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Neither Fish nor Fowl... a Centerist

draw.php

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 80%.
    Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 50%.
    According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    button%20centrist.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tend to oppose "political extremes," and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]emphasize what[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]they describe as "practical" solutions to problems[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]​

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    They actually address that on the site, Joe. Overall, they say they get about an even spread of people across the five possible outcomes. They don't WANT to see everyone come out libertarian, because if they did; that is, if the quiz forced everyone to that outcome, people would realize and resent being "fooled".

Personally, I think we're all coming out in or near that group because we are all gun owners. As a group, we tend to like the idea of not being dictated to, not having an over-intrusive government.
    Most of us look at the overreaches of the Bush administration, i.e. Patriot Act, bailouts, etc., and decry them. Similarly, we look at the excesses of the Obama administration, i.e. Obamacare, bailouts, etc., and have nothing good to say about those, either.

We want less government, overall. Some don't like or agree with abortion, others don't like or agree with mandatory prayers in school, but overall, we agree that gov't goes outside it's bounds on a regular basis.

This, as I believe and practice, is libertarianism with a small L.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill
    [/LEFT]
    [/CENTER]

I agree with you 110%. I'm always about to state my opinion on these posts, but you beat me to it! Not that we agree on all the issues, but you always seem to be reasonable. I've taken a couple of these (Nolan) quizes and always come out all libertarian. The only issue I seem to butt heads on is abortion. I've seen some libertarians argue that it's all about freedom to choose, but I just think that the choice was made at conception. I never have tried to argue the religious aspect, though I consider myself deeply devoted. I always try to appeal with reason. It is a fundamental and moral right to exist! I think that idea is more libertarian, than choice.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I agree with you 110%. I'm always about to state my opinion on these posts, but you beat me to it! Not that we agree on all the issues, but you always seem to be reasonable. I've taken a couple of these (Nolan) quizes and always come out all libertarian. The only issue I seem to butt heads on is abortion. I've seen some libertarians argue that it's all about freedom to choose, but I just think that the choice was made at conception. I never have tried to argue the religious aspect, though I consider myself deeply devoted. I always try to appeal with reason. It is a fundamental and moral right to exist! I think that idea is more libertarian, than choice.

Abortion is still a wedge issue with Libertarians, big L or small l. Politically minded Libertarians will default to state governments instead of the feds to make the decision. To me, that's just passing the buck, but its the party line. Principled libertarians (small l) should default to the non aggression principle, once a staple of the party. However, as the party accepted more washed up Republicrat hawks the NAP has taken a back seat to getting involved in policy wars. Of course the same "when does life begin" argument surrounds the NAP and if you aggressing against a person or a nondescript clump of cells.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom