LGS has a Mini-14 for $740. Is it a good buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is $740 a good buy on this Mini-14?

• Total voters

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have one of the older pre-ban Mini-14 Ranch Rifles. I hate the fact it is not accurate. I love how fun it is to shoot and the fact my wife, who was an employee of Ruger at the time, surprised me one Christmas with it. (Surprised in a good way.)
    Since she only paid $140 for it 20 years ago, I can't say if your price is good or not. I wish gun broker had a historical search feature like eBay.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I owned one of the older ones, it would not hit a pie plate at 100 yards. I sold it for an AR15 which held a 1 in group at 100 yards. My friend had the same rifle purchased side by side. He kept his and put a match barrel on it and it was just as accurate as my new AR15. I read all the prior posts so they must have changed the barrels.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Ranch 18.5"
    5801.jpg

Tactical 16.12"
    5848.jpg

Older Ranch Rifle
    ruger-mini-14.jpg

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Thats about the going rate for that gun, it is the "tactical" model and was never $500. Also Elmore's in GWood had lower parts kits earlier today in stock if your looking for them. I believe they are DPMS.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    father in law has one, no frills, shoots true. $800 (should) get you a basic AR. I'd wait for the prices to go down but it's your money. I don't think you'll be disappointed, I just think in a few months you'll be looking at what you could have gotten for your cash.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    even before the threat of a ban I hadnt found a brand new mini under $650. I think I paid a little under $700 for mine back in july. Great guns if you ask me, just expensive magazines in all.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I called around a bit and another shop a bit further away has a used side-folder for $660. It comes with a 5 round magazine. I'm going to go check it out before work tomorrow. I don't know whether it's the newer heavy barrel or an older thin barrel. Does anyone know by serial number when the change was made? How obvious will it be if the side-folder is the thinner barrel, especially if I don't have a heavy barrel to compare?

Heavy barrel serial number is 580+ which the heavy barrel isnt the only change they made for the 580+ models.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I bought a tactical model a couple of years ago and really like it. I only shoot it at the range so my experience with it is limited. I've had all sorts of optics on it. Mine had the same synthetic stock.

I currently have it in an Archangel Sparta stock which I really like. I prefer the 20 round mags myself and they are pricey (well, compared to pre-CT AR mags).

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I have a 185-xxxxx (1990) and 580-xxxxx (2009) Tactical and wouldn't let either one of them go. As previously stated, with factory mags they go bang every time you pull the trigger. Solid as a rock. I say go for it.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Love mine. It's serial number 195-xxxxx and was made in 1998. It shoots great and has never had a problem. I have some factory mags as well as some Tapco ones. Neither have failed me yet.

http://youtu.be/l5EZuIO-TLM?t=54s

Skip ahead to 54 seconds if it doesn't automatically. That's Nemo shooting it at 75 yards. The target is a Bobcat Steel rifle jack. The round pieces are 3", I think.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    I have one of the older pre-ban Mini-14 Ranch Rifles. I hate the fact it is not accurate. I love how fun it is to shoot and the fact my wife, who was an employee of Ruger at the time, surprised me one Christmas with it. (Surprised in a good way.)
    Since she only paid $140 for it 20 years ago, I can't say if your price is good or not. I wish gun broker had a historical search feature like eBay.

Actually it does. go to advanced...2nd tab is "completed listings". put in your search and whoala!!!. He's the tricky part though. It starts with the oldest listings first so click the date tab right above the right side of the 1st listing and it flips it to most recent.

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I would pass if you are not in need of it. Great gun but I think prices will settle down come summer time.

Top Bottom