• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I have always wanted a lever action rifle and just now have got around to purchasing one. i have done very little research on these and would appreciate any help. thanks

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Ryan, I have two lever actions, a Winchester 9422 and a Henry H001T. I like both of these but with the price of the Henry being almost half I would suggest the Henry.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum. LOTS of fun to shoot, plenty good for deer hunting, light, beautiful handling.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That all depends on what you intend to do with the rifle...

Plinking? Hunting? Home Defense? "Trunk gun"? Just something cool to have?

All of the above can be satisfied with: IAC MODEL 87W LEVER ACTION SHOTGUN

For .22, I highly suggest a Browning BL-22. They're expensive, but they have the shortest throw and the slickest action of any of the .22 rifles.

.357Mag is the smallest Indiana deer-legal hunting cartridge, a lever rifle in .357 could, therefore, be used not only to hunt with, but also to shoot .38Specials if you just wanted to plink.

-J-

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I think Winchester is a better looking gun..... I thnk Marlin is a better built gun.... the Marlin 39A is the Cadillac of rimfire lever guns, and if memory serves, has been in production longer than any other rimfire lever gun. I have all three that I mentioned.... Marlin would be my suggestion ..... You're welcome to come shoot all of 'em if you want.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Definitely need more info on what you want to do with it before making any recommendations.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you're looking at hunting, my vote goes for the Marlin 1894. I have one in .44mag. GREAT deer gun, but as stated earlier, is also available in .357mag.

Well built and accurate with the right load. For factory loads, I suggest Hornady's "Leverevolution".

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I've been looking for a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag myself and have had no luck. :dunno:

High demand, low supply. Same old story.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I bought my daughter a Henry .22. Nice little rifle, and not too pricey. My first lever was a Puma in .44 mag. Nice looking rifle, never had any problems with it. That being said, I love my Marlins. I have an 1894fg in .41 mag, and a 1895xlr in .45-70 gvt. They are both awesome. The 1894fg is built heavier than the Puma. And the 1895 xlr is built like a tank.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Im a big fan of the savage 99s. In my mind you wont find a more balanced accurate lever gun out there. That said you cant exacly deer hunt in Indiana with a 308 so you might have to settle for a sub-par weapon.

What I like about the 99 series.

Balanced like a german sports car (I.E. extremely well)
    Accurate (for a light barrel profile high power rifle)
    Amazing trigger
    Very fast follow up shots
    Very light weight
    Detachable box or rotary magazine
    It handles very well (back to being very well balanced)
    It looks like a dream.
    You can get one for fairly cheap (non-collector grade models sell for under $400 fairly commonly)

Personally I hated the Henry I had because you couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. I tried 3 Henrys before I gave up and sold em all. For a deer caliper id recommend the Ruger lever guns, they have a lot of the good aspects of the savage 99s, youll just pay a lot more for one.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Love my 44mag ROSSI Trapper in stainless. Had to install a taller front site right outta the box after that the thing is SUPER accurate with iron sights. Great deer gun, a true pleasure to carry into the woods. If you need a scope i would look at a different gun. My 8yo son shoots this lil rifle and loves it!!!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Just got a Henry Golden Boy (17HMR) in for one of my customers. After giving it a once over, I now understand why they charge the prices they do for these firearms... They are of upmost quality and I would highly recommend them (simply from a quality perspective)

How it will shoot I do not yet know, however I believe based upon what others have said it will be a great tack driver, especially in 17HMR.

harms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    For a first cheaper lever I would go for a Ruger 96. I have one in 44 and in 22 mag and the have the smoothest shortest throw of all the levers I have tried.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    From acollectors point taking a 1873 1876 1886 winchester lever action 38-40 44-40 or others deer hunting is great fun. Taking a rifle over 100 years old hunting is fun .The first investment is a little more but the rifle will keep going up in value.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    For a simple, affordable, yet classic look don't discount the rugged Marlin 336. Mine in .35 Remington is a blast to shoot, although you can't hunt in IN with it. The nice thing about the newer ballistic tip rounds for tube feeders is they are easily now a 200 yard gun in calibers that used to be 100 yarders. Whatever you get you'll quickly fall in love with the lever for its classic styling!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom