• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I'm looking to buy a lever action .357 for deer hunting this year. Rossi or Marlin? I've read several posts that indicate the older Marlins are better than the new ones.. so for new is Rossi a better way to go?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I had the Rossi at least 20 years ago and it was used when I bought it. It was the fancy one with an engraved mountain lion scene on the receiver. I think I traded it for a new Ruger P85 and I am still kicking myself for doing that. It was an excellent rifle but I had no tactical/practical use for it. I doubt that they make them as well nowadays as they did when they made mine.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I posted this identical thread not 2 weeks ago. Came out with something like 20 votes Marlin model 1894, and then about 5 or 6 votes for various others, (Rossi included.)

Go with the Marlin, INGO says. ;)

EDIT: Got it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/234710-best_357_lever_action.html

Excellent - thanks for the heads up. I saw one when I was down in KY training and I passed on it. I keep kicking myself and need to make a road trip back down there.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Shot both and have had no problems with either. I curently own a Rossi/Puma 92 in 45 Colt that I use for deer hunting. I had a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I am looking to replace with another one when I get a chance. Love both guns. Rossi is a top eject but with handgun calibers even my bad eyesight is still good for typical 357 range without a scope. Most Marlins are drilled and tapped for scope mounts wich is also nice. The Rossi 92 will be a little bit lighter and thinner than the Marlin which is nice for carrying around in the woods or shooting off hand.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    Looked at a Rossi at the last 1500, and it just felt too "light duty". Not a fan.

Marlins are good, but I'd take a Henry. Heavy, but also heavy duty.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Shot both and have had no problems with either. I curently own a Rossi/Puma 92 in 45 Colt that I use for deer hunting. I had a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I am looking to replace with another one when I get a chance. Love both guns. Rossi is a top eject but with handgun calibers even my bad eyesight is still good for typical 357 range without a scope. Most Marlins are drilled and tapped for scope mounts wich is also nice. The Rossi 92 will be a little bit lighter and thinner than the Marlin which is nice for carrying around in the woods or shooting off hand.

I wanted to stay with the .357 over the .45 LC - availability of ammo; ability to use .38 at the range with my sons, and its a nice home defense round.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Rossi 92 in .44 mag, and I really like it, plenty accurate, handles nicely. I am also looking for the same rifle in .357 mag. The Marlins are nice also I have had 336's in .30 30, and I have a 39a. I think you may to shoot, or at least handle both, and see which one you liked the best.

Dave

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    If you don't plan on putting a scope on it my vote would be Winchester. Mine is silky smooth .. Its a real joy to hunt with . I would stay away from new marlins my brother just bought a new 44 mag and its fit and finish is horrible to say the least. Front sight fell out of its dovetail and it doesn't look like they rounded any of the edges off after machining.

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I would say a pre Remington marlin 1894c. Remington bought them in 2009 and some serial numbers in the 91xxxxxxxx are pre and some are post Remington. Mine is a 92xxxxxx and it's a pre rem and it's perfect. Also it will be stamped REM on the right side of the barrel next to the receiver. If it's a true marlin it will say JM.

There are lots of ways to tell the difference. But I would recommend the pre Remington.

Top Bottom