• ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You really can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the marlins but the older ones without the crossbolt safety. that would be 1988 or before. I have 2 marlin 39a's and 2 marlin mounties.

The Bl-22 from browning is a second great choice and the gun will be very pretty even in a standard grade. If you go up to a grade II you get a little better wood and the the engraving. The trigger on the browning moves with the lever and as such the triggers on the marlin or henry feel a bit better but this is something you could get used to easy. I have a grade II,

A few other choices are around. Mossburg made a palimino lever 22. Winchester made a 9422 (My be the best of all the rimfire levers) Iver johnson made a saddlegun both repeter and single shot.

If you want a gun with the Heft of a regular rifle and the best accuracy get the marlin pre 1988. Want a littel lighter weight and a shorter barrel the mountie is the one.

If you want a lighter weight keep by the backdoor/truck gun the henry is the cheapest option. If the weird alloy gets scratched ot rusted just order a new one. Upgrade the front sight from plastic from henry. I have yet to purchase a henry but have shot several.

If you want the fastest second shot the browning is the one. Pretty also.

If you want what I think is the best overall lever the winchester 9422 is the one but since they are no longer produced there is a premuim for the best. I have not seen one sell for less than 500 in years and 700-1000 for the best examples. I have a 22 mag and a 22 lr.

You can't go wrong really.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I prefer lever actions boblade. I was raised with lever actions, due to my father being left handed. Being ambidextrous is a large role in my buying rifles. That is why I am asking opinions on lever actions.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    Ruger 96/22....

THIS

Ruger_96.jpg

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

:)

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    My only experience with the Henry and Marlin 22 levers is during the Conservation Youth Camp Range Day. Over the past 5-6 years we have put 400-600 rounds through the guns in one day with very minimum cleaning and non stop shooting except for a lunch break. The only issues we have seen with the Henry's arose this year as fail to fires towards the end of the day. This could be contributed to aging hammer springs, dirty firing pins or carbon build up in the firing pin channel.

The Marlins, same age as the Henry's, have suffered double feeds, failure to extracts, fail to fire and magazine tube follower failures. These have occurred through out the day and occurred each year since purchased.

Last edited:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have just gone through this whole process for my son. My Dad has one of the older 39As that I have literally lusted after for the past 30 years. When I was ready for my first 22, I ended up getting a 9422 XTR. Beautiful gun that I still use as often as I can. I have no idea how many rounds have gone through that thing, but I still love it as much as the first time I held it.
    Fast forward to 2011 when it was time for my son to get his first 22. While you cannot deny the appeal of a 10/22, I wanted him to get a lever rifle. After holding/shouldering everyting in the store, we went with the Browning BL-22 with their Micro option - he can upgrade to a full-size stock when he is ready. The wood is great, and the gun is... .well.. a Browning. Just slick as all get out and wow will it shoot.
    You will be fine with the Henry or the Marlin. Just make sure that you try to shoot as much ammo as the cost of the rifle - then everyone will be happy.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have an older 39A and 39M Mountie. They are both great rifles and work flawlessly. I looked at the Henry when they first came out but just didn't like the way it felt in my hands. Look at both and decide which is best for you. :twocents:

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love my Henry .22. I have not used the Marlin, I'm sure it's a fine rifle as well. Just letting you know that I got the Henry and am in no way disappointed with it's feel or function. I dont' like the way the spent shells take the paint off of the receiver cover though.

Top Bottom