Letter from Todd Young (US Rep 9th district)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    Got my first response today from all of the legislators I have written to:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding 2nd Amendment rights and the Administration’s proposed gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect as to how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values.

On January 16, 2013, the Administration announced a comprehensive gun control proposal, including a two-pronged legislative initiative and 23 separate Executive Actions. The proposed legislative initiatives focus on a universal background check system and a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The 2nd Amendment right of American citizens to keep and bear arms has been clearly upheld by the Supreme Court as an explicitly individual right. While I can support measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, I will not support any legislation that infringes on the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise their Constitutionally-guaranteed right to legal gun ownership. Hasty action by Congress will not prevent gun violence. If we hope to stop another tragedy like Sandy Hook, then it must be through deliberative action that makes it harder for criminals to acquire firearms, and easier for those who need mental health care to access it.

The vast majority of gun owners are neither criminals nor mentally unsound, and limiting their ability to buy or possess firearms will do little to solve our real problems. In the coming weeks, I look forward to discussing legislative options with my colleagues as we consider the current and future role of our federal government in preventing these atrocious tragedies. Be assured, I will do everything in my power to uphold and defend the Second Amendment and the rights it entails.

I value your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues. Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service,

Todd Young
    Member of Congress"

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    IIRC, this is the second response I got. The first was wishy washy please all and very much honked me off.

This one is much, much better. I am guessing that our emails/calls/letters are having an effect.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I only wish all the Congressman were so solid about our 2A freedom. Todd Young has the right attitude. Hope he continues to be a strong voice in Congress for our 2A rights!

Top Bottom