• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i can't complain about the accuracy of the accutip slugs that i switched to this year. that deffinately is not a problem. my main concern was with the lack of an exit hole on the first deer i shot this year. it did do decent internal damage taking out both lungs and the heart. it just didn't exit. didn't hit any ribs either. i thought it was kind of weird that it didn't exit after not hitting any rib bone. didn't know if it was just a lack of speed/energy at that range.

whole different story today. same gun, same slugs. the shot was only 35-40 yards. blew apart a rib on the entrance side, caught both lungs and heart, and blew a massive hole out the other side smashing more ribs and busting the shoulder/leg joint as it went.

i guess my whole deal is that even though i hit both deer very well, and the slugs did their job effectively. i still prefer to see two holes in one deer.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Hornady sstx I think, can't be many hornady slugs. 20 guage H&R ultra slugger one shot stopper. Killed several at many different ranges. Prior to the single shot, I used 870 20 guage wingmaster, Some exit holes as close range and not to many out farther and I used the remington cheap slugs. Now I cheat .458 socom, I haven't had anything move 15 yards after and the destructive power is amazing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Buck hammer

My NEF likes the 20 ga 2 3/4" Remington Buckhammers. It'll cloverleaf 'em at 100 yds. Placement matters, even with slugs. Accuracy is king. None of the expensive sabots shoot worth a hoot out of it. And they're CHEAP!:rockwoot:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I am not an expert, but had 2 deer run last year (neither over 50 yards) with a through and through from a .44 mag. The only deer I ever shot with a slug did not have an exit wound, but it also dropped on the spot. I think I subscribe to the "All energy used within the deer" theory.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I have been running Remington buck hammers for a few years now..I have never ever had to track a deer they have been DRT they are devastating from 0-150 yard

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Im with Dragongunner.....live and die by the cheap stuff. If I miss, its me not the gun. Harvested numerous deer, why pay for the expensive stuff? :)

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Winchester BRI in 12 gauge.Low tech but very lethal.I have taken close to 20 deer and when I do my part they just die.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I use Remmington 1 1/4 oz. Buckhammers. Went with the Hornady SST's a few years back, but although the distance attained was amazing I felt they lacked that stopping power needed for me most of the time. That is why I went back to hard and heavy. I should have never changed it up.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yeah, I understand that!

How far away were you on the first deer (the one tht did not have an exit wound)?

I shot a 150 doe one time from about 20 yards, on the same level from the ground, broad side, once walking, it turned running back on the same trail it came out and and I shot one more time and it dropped to the ground.

Winchester 1 ounce, HOLLOW POINT foster slugs.

Neither shot exited the deer.

Last edited:

Tygus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    This year I got a 7 point with my rifled barrel 870. This was the first time I dropped one in his tracks. He was 87 yards out and I was using Remington Accutips. The exit wound was slightly smaller than a golf ball.

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I use the Remington copper solids 2.s and 3 inch. I like the 3 inch a little better because the seem to produce better groups at 100 yards. I have used the slugs for 3 years and will not switch. I have had no problems with penetration from these slugs.

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    From my experience I prefer the Hornady SST 300gr. at 100 yrds with a Remington 870 (rifled barrel) I can shoot touching groups easy. They have great knock down power and great range. I have shot the Remington Accu-Tips and i was kind of disappointed by them. They were very inconsistent. This is why i am sticking with the Hornady SST.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, it dumped all the energy in the deer, and that's a goodd thing. :yesway:
    That is considered perfection in any gauge or caliber. Also, at 125 yards you want all your ft/lbs transfered to the target since it is dropping off so much.

I use Federal Barnes Expanders in my rifled barrel. Once I like a load I will buy enough to last 5-10 seasons so I don't have to worry about my choice of ammo, if it is in the stores or even still being made. I keep even more of my favorite Foster type slugs and slugs I know I can hit with in my smoothbores

Top Bottom