• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I used to use Scotts 4 step program but found with timely purchases one can buy the Scotts Super Turf builder versions on sale for about the same price as the 4 step program. I'm really happy with Scotts.

pilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    I use Scotts but also spray with Rural King 24D lasts all summer and not a weed. I also spray about 10 foot of the three neighbors weed infested yards to create a weed free border, as long as they are not looking while I'm spraying.

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    I use Scotts but also spray with Rural King 24D lasts all summer and not a weed. I also spray about 10 foot of the three neighbors weed infested yards to create a weed free border, as long as they are not looking while I'm spraying.

I was literally just talking to my wife about doing this to my neighbors yard to the east of my house. There so many dandelions in his yard you can barely see grass. Well not really but its pretty bad. It seems that no matter how much I spray my yard for weeds that I get new ones every week!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am a pro lawn guy, you cannot do much right now as you can only pick to seed or pump up what you have. I would skip on seeding now as weeds suck and so does watering, instead use a 3-way (weed killer) to get rid of all weeds while fertilizing at the same time, I would do two treatments 3 weeks apart to get started. You cannot seed during this time as the products will kill any new grass. Once you have killed the weeds and pumped up the grass you can begin working on slice seeding and aeration come late fall.

Remember that lime and fertilizer do not mix and that soil samples are much cheaper then just throwing products at your turf.

If you are a cheap bastard you can buy 12-12-12 fertilizer and a bottle of 24D and do it on the cheap cheap.

For those looking for the good products look up ATS in Fishers, it is where all the pros go.

If you have a small yard my favorite thing to do in fall is aeration/over seed/fertilizer all at the same time, you do that and get some rain on it and it will look great!

I am a big believer in fall fertilizing as that is the most important time to pump that grass up and get it ready for spring.

If I had to pick up the phone and call someone to do the work for me I would call Lawn Pride in Fishers as they don't seem to be all bs like Scotts or TruGreen. 5 applications a year and you will have a great looking lawn if you can afford the cost.

You should be mowing at 4in. and no shorter while mowing a different stripe each week.

Last edited:

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Don't spend the big bucks for Scotts products. Go to the local Co-Op, they'll have just what you need, and at a reasonable price. Also what ever the bag recommends, add a little higher mixture for the best results. The Co-Op can also tell you what to put down and when to do it, it's not brain surgery, pretty simple, but sometimes hard work to get it done. The commercial companies almost always cut their liquid applications with water so much, you don't get what you pay for, and the weeds always come back.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I worked at someone's house and they had two ferrets in a cage. He told me they were bought to get rid of moles. He said they would get them out and take care of them and now that he didn't have any moles he is stuck with the ferrets.

I've used Scott's for years but have been using Jonathan Green since last fall. The Mag-I-Cal worked well for soil PH. Ortho Nutsedge killer seems to be working on some wild violets. That is supposed to be good and Ortho chickweed and oxalis killer with trychlopyr.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just started using Kapps Lawn Care recently. The past few years I did my own lawn, and did a pretty good job (IMO) but it was very time consuming. After crunching numbers with the cost of my time, it just made sense to me to let the pros handle it.

Contacted 3 different companies; Lawn Pride, Kapps, and Berger Hargis. One of these companies was highly recommended here on INGO, yet it took them 5 days to contact me back after leaving my info with them. Needless to say I did not go with them. The other 2 companies both contacted me back within 24 hours, and after talking with both and pricing it out I went with Kapps. Noticed huge results within the first 7-10 days after their first application, and continue to notice great results.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What's this striper? I need to know more...

Yup, me too. I have tried to get stripes in my yard, but there must be a technique that I don't know about.

It's just the way the grass lays when you mow it. Light green means the grass is laying away from you, dark green means the grass is laying toward you. If you mow your grass short, you won't get stripes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I mow as tall as I can get my push mower, probably around 4". I think my mower doesn't lay the grass down after I go over it. Maybe I should attach something to the rear to pull the grass down as I pass over it?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I mow it, except for the area I till up for a garden.

If people ***** about the dandelions, I tell them its a bee preserve.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I mow as tall as I can get my push mower, probably around 4". I think my mower doesn't lay the grass down after I go over it. Maybe I should attach something to the rear to pull the grass down as I pass over it?

Generally, if your push mower isn't that heavy, it won't lay "stripes." I've found that the commercial duty push/propelled mowers will lay some stripes, but they are heavier. You could try to weigh down the flap in the rear of the mower (if it has one), and you may be able to get stripes, but you will be pushing more weight (obviously).

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    You can make one for your push mower for $10. 3 or 4 inch PVC with end caps, cut to the length of your deck. Fill it with sand, eyeholes with chain or rope to attach to the mower. Lay on ground behind mower and attach chain/rope to desired location. You want it to push the cut grass down as mow, and with the PVC it's round and big enough you won't run it over when you pull the mower backwards.

Top Bottom