• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I vote Spencer! You'll just have to make your own ammo and get a centerfire block (unless its one of those modern copies).
    Spencer009_zps57e85731.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    After many years shooting other peoples lever guns, I decided to get my own for the upcoming deer season. (if rifle cartridges are legal)
    I tried all types of lever guns and found the Marlin fit me well and was close to my budget ($400 used). I also like the lever gun without the safety, it makes it much easier for me to shoot, since I am left handed. I found a 1980 Marlin 30-30 in near mint condition at the 1500 for $425.
    marlin.jpg

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you are thinking Cowboy Action, then I wouldn't mess around and just get the Uberti 1873. I have a Henry Big Boy that i started out with. I works great, but you can't get it to go fast - no parts or gunsmithing advice I was able to find. I bought an 1873 and my times sure improved - it has the better springs and a short stroke kit and is a real bullet hose. I think if you talk to the cowboy guys, most would prefer the 73's after all that seems to be the most popular rifle since if you're really good, you can almost get all 10 cases in the air at the same time. If you aren't going to shoot competition, then you can't go wrong with any of them. But if you are planning to, I'm trying to save you from buying 2 rifles (not that that's a bad thing).

:thumbsup: My husband and I have Henrys, too. Mine is .357 (because we all know that is the best caliber ever made), and his is .44. Picked up a very gently used Uberti 1873 .357 last fall, it is super-fast, light, and I'm pretty accurate with it, even without a scope. We did have feeding issues at first (we reload), after researching online, we switched to a more rounded bullet. No issues after that.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    i just put on a champion 12.5" lop synthetic stock, leupold 1-4 pig plex and a wild west trigger in the old Marlin 336 30/30 just for hopes of being able to use it next year. I got it as a birthday present back in 94 and its pretty much just sat since then. Im ready to knock the dust off of it and put it to use..

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, this one looks awfully nice. 1873 Rifles

I saw an overview in the American Rifleman.

My first rifle purchase was a Win 94 in .30-30 (just cleaned it the other day and picked up another 200 rounds for it), my last (lever gun) was a Marlin 1895CB in .45-70...doesn't mean it will actually be my last...

:laugh: edit...here I saw I responded to this thread back in November last...but the link is new!

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    After many years shooting other peoples lever guns, I decided to get my own for the upcoming deer season. (if rifle cartridges are legal)
    I tried all types of lever guns and found the Marlin fit me well and was close to my budget ($400 used). I also like the lever gun without the safety, it makes it much easier for me to shoot, since I am left handed. I found a 1980 Marlin 30-30 in near mint condition at the 1500 for $325.

My CB has the safety...I used it once to see if it worked and never used it again. It's a lever action...why add the complexity of operation? I understand there's a kit to replace it.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I have a Winchester Centennial '66 in 30-30 that my dad gave to me. It's only had a couple rounds through it, more of a show piece I guess. I did tell my dad I would take it out one of these days and shoot it. Think he kind of cringed a bit.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I needed an excuse to show off my two, both of them Marlins.

Marlin 39A
    Marlin_39A_Camo.jpg

Marlin 1894 (.45 Colt round barrel version...NOT the Cowboy)
    Marlin_1894_45_Colt_Camo.jpg

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have several lever guns...Uberti 66 and a 73, i also have 2 marlins 45/70 and 44 mag....they are all a blast to shoot! The 44 is my deer rifle, but as of late i have been leaning to the bow far more... i use the Ubertis for cowboy action, the 66 has no less than 50k rounds through it and the 73 about 2k so far...i just put it in service this year...love em

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, this one looks awfully nice. 1873 Rifles

I saw an overview in the American Rifleman.

My first rifle purchase was a Win 94 in .30-30 (just cleaned it the other day and picked up another 200 rounds for it), my MOST RECENT (lever gun) was a Marlin 1895CB in .45-70...doesn't mean it will actually be my last...

:laugh: edit...here I saw I responded to this thread back in November last...but the link is new!

FIFY - "last" to "MOST RECENT"!

Top Bottom