• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have an AR, and am currently building another one. What I don't have is a Lever Action. I have always liked them, and after watching True Grit this weekend, I have realized I want to go ahead and get one.

I don't know that much about them. What are the better brands? What prices are they? And I need help in deciding what caliber I want.
    Caliber.... But if I want to be a cowboy like John Wayne, I may want one like his.

So, school me in Lever Action Rifles.

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have never heard of one in .45 ACP or any other rimless cartridge for that matter. I have an older Rossi model 92 in .38/.357 mag that functions reliably, is pretty accurate and a blast to shoot. These carbines are especially popular because of the price I think.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I actually like pump rifles a little better, but no modern production models exist other than rimfire. Any rifle in .38/.357, .44 mag or .45 Colt is fun and versatile. and a long barreled rimfire loaded with shorts takes all day to empty!

I currently have a Marlin 1894 in .357, mostly stock except for a soon to be installed XS rail and peep, a stock Marlin 336 in .30-30 and a much modified older 336 that I call my cowboy assault rifle. That one is at the smithy being drilled and tapped for some Skinner winged sights. I already had the barrel chopped to 16.5", shortened the stock a bit and put on a low profile pad and had the whole thing finished in Birdsong Teflon Green. Last step will be a black textured finish to the wood.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a Marlin .38/.357 and absolutely love it. I was already set up to reload this caliber, so that was the main influence with my choice. I have one of the Remington/Marlin rifles that seems to have a bad rep, but I've not had a problem with my rifle. I am also due to receive my father's Winchester 30-30 that mistakenly went to a cousin. I enjoyed that one, too. However, I don't plan to reload this caliber.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you get one in .45 (not ACP) commonly referred to as Long Colt then you could buy a pistol in matching caliber. Of course you could also get one in .38 and probably do the same.

Henry = American made.

That being said...there's a lot out there in the used market. The first rifle I bought was a Win. 94 in .30-30. I also have the Marlin 1895CB in .45-70.

If you're just looking to shoot it for fun and maybe use for home defense the .45LC is not a bad choice. You can get a weapon that will hold an adequate load of ammo and shoots bullets so old no prosecuting Atty would be dull enough to try and demonize you for it. If you want to drop Cape Buffalo...or just be able to...the .45-70 might be your choice. If you get the Safari loads they throw as much lead with every round as an AR does per mag.

I don't know that you'd have issues with any of the manufacturers currently producing weapons though I did hear some of the new Marlin's may not be up to snuff compared to past models before Remington bought them out and moved the production. I have not seen them myself recently and it could just be grumpy old man syndrome.

Good luck and enjoy, they are fun weapons.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a Marlin .38/.357 and absolutely live it. I was already set up to reload this caliber, so that was the main influence with my choice. I have one of the Remington/Marlin rifles that seems to have a bad rep, but I've not had a problem with my rifle. I am also due to receive my father's Winchester 30-30 that mistakenly went to a cousin. I enjoyed that one, too. However, I don't plan to reload this caliber.

There you go...someone with experience on the newer production.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Another Marlin guy here. I have a stainless 1894 in .44mag. Its a true JM stamped marlin, not a Remlin, and I love the thing! Its my current deer slayer and also a blast to shoot at paper. Reloading for it gets costs way down compared to even WWB which currently runs about $.90/round.

The lever guns are a blast to shoot. Every single person who shoots mine gets that big old **** eating grin after just once.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Rossi .38/357, Marlin 1894 .44 mag., Winchester 92 in 30-30. Love them all. I'm thinking a Henry Frontier .22 will be next, maybe.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Rossi 1892 in .44-40. Loaded with real Blackpowder. She can hit a 4" plate at 100 yds if I do my part. And most of these 'pistol-caliber' rifles are deer legal in Indiana!

Hope you find what you want.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My husband and I have his n hers Henrys. His is .44 and mine is .357. We recently bought a Winchester .357 1873 short rifle. The Winchester is fun, but it seems more finicky about reloads, we bought it used, but I think it may have not had many rounds through it, and still needs broken in. Wish I could go shoot it...where was this nice weather at Sat/Sun?!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, .45-70; can be fun to shoot with light cowboy loads or brutal with full on Buffalo Bore loads. Highly recommended!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 2 Henry's. A Big boy 44mag and a 45-70. They are awesome. Marlin is suppose to be improving. I'd look it over well or fine a JM stamped. I have handled a few Rossi's. They looked good! The action feels way smoother then the new Marlin's I handled. I almost bought one.

No regret's on my Henry's they are 100% American made and excellent quality. Awesome customer service. :twocents:

I am using Skinner sights on my 44mag. I will be changing the 45-70 to Skinners soon.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Over the years I've had a couple of Winchesters, 3 Marlins (all pre-Remington), and a Henry. The Henry was my favorite by far. Far smoother action than the others, great fit and finish, and really a work of art.

If possible, handle and shoot each before you make a decision.

I bet there are some lever-action INGO guys that wouldn't mind getting together to shoot (and let you compare).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Love my Marlin 1894 in 44...but my Model 71 in 450 Alaskan is my favorite all time lever gun.

281c106e-48a9-4611-970f-46feb6fb5cbe_zps9a95c9a2.jpg

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Shooting cowboy action I am around a lot of different levers. I have a Marlin 1894 in .357/38spl.
    One heck of a good, no nonsense, throw it down beat it to death and it'll run gun. Downfall is it has to be slickered up for it to run smooth. They all do, at least for shooting competition. Know my way around them well. Easy to take apart, easy to get replacement parts.
    Also have a Cimarron in .357/38spl. Short stroked myself with PWG parts. Timing on these are everything! The newer ones WILL break the bolt tab. Not if, but when, there is a fix. Uberti, Taylors they will break. Parts are a bit harder to get too. Guns more expensive too. The new Winchesters seem to be a good gun! So far! Rossi, well, you get what you pay for. They can be slicked up too. Its not to difficult. Henry they are finicky on case length it seems. Not a bad rifle.
    The Marlin will eat anything. The Uberti, Cimmy, Taylors like the flat point round nose. Rossi same ... Henry same. The Winny same. Love my 73!!! I know her inside and out. Great gun to bad the bolts are junk. The older ones are a way better gun in my opinion. Good luck.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I bought a Henry 22lr Golden Boy for my son. I shoot it now because he isn't quite old enough, and it is a blast. More accurate than I am, and nothing brings a smile quite like racking that lever. I plan on getting the same gun in 45LC when he takes this one.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There are many great lever guns out there but when I think of cowboys, Winchester comes to mind. Get an older 94 in 30-30, put a big loop on it, buckhorn sights, a saddle ring, and you'll be ready for your own spaghetti western :draw: I prefer the look of a Winchester's straight stock and open top action for a retro build over the Marlin.

BTW, that's a great movie and has always been one of my favorites. The book was even better, I'd highly recommend reading it if you liked the film.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Bought a used Winchester 94 Saddle Ring carbine in 45 Colt. It is the most popular gun among family, male/female/young/old. Looks right, feels right and shoots right.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have an old winchester 94 in 30-30 and a rossi 92 in 44 mag. I like them both fine until my buddy brings his henrys over. No comparison. Fit and finish, smooth action, trigger,etc. He has one in 357 that I particularly covet. Just too dang pretty for me to own

Top Bottom