• ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks everyone for the compliments, :)

Dk, your stuff looks great. What weight leather are you using? It looks so clean.

Thank you, I use 8-9oz on most of my stuff, the tin pouch portion of this sheath is around 4oz, the rest is 9oz. It's hard to keep leather looking clean, especially when wet forming, short fingernails and a clean work area are key. I'm still not to where I want to be, but each one gets a little better, and teaches me something.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the compliments, :)

Thank you, I use 8-9oz on most of my stuff, the tin pouch portion of this sheath is around 4oz, the rest is 9oz. It's hard to keep leather looking clean, especially when wet forming, short fingernails and a clean work area are key. I'm still not to where I want to be, but each one gets a little better, and teaches me something.

Question: does the pouch for your tin open downward for a reason? Is that so it will fall into your hand when you release the snap? It would make me nervous to traipse about in the woods with gravity trying to steal the precious contents of my altoids tin from me!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Question: does the pouch for your tin open downward for a reason? Is that so it will fall into your hand when you release the snap? It would make me nervous to traipse about in the woods with gravity trying to steal the precious contents of my altoids tin from me!

No reason, other than ease of putting it together. The tin won't fall out, it takes a very stern push to get it out.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, I bought an ESEE 6 from Brad yesterday and got right to work on my first sheath. It is inspired by (if not blatantly copied from) DK's designs. Not anywhere as clean as his, but this is the thickest item I have stitched. I don't have the right hardware either. I just couldn't wait to cobble together my first sheath.

I have definitely learned a lot from this one though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No reason, other than ease of putting it together. The tin won't fall out, it takes a very stern push to get it out.

Ah! Makes sense, then!

Well, I bought an ESEE 6 from Brad yesterday and got right to work on my first sheath. It is inspired by (if not blatantly copied from) DK's designs. Not anywhere as clean as his, but this is the thickest item I have stitched. I don't have the right hardware either. I just couldn't wait to cobble together my first sheath.

I have definitely learned a lot from this one though.

That's some nice work!

All of you guys are doing some really cool things with leather and in some cases, leather and kydex combined. My "claim to fame" is 1:6 scale holsters and sheaths I made for GI Joe out of craft foam about 15 years ago. Hah!

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well since Dave has been making some amazing stuff lately I figured I better step up my game and get the cow hide out. Been busy the last year but managed to knock a few things out.
    The Small Forest Axe need a new mask so I worked this up. Came out pretty nice.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    And just cause I can't let Dave keep showing me up I went a little fancy with this one. Pats 1311 needed some pants and with Daves inspiration I went all out. This thing is a beast of a sheath,6 layers thick and 7 layers where the belt loops are on the back. The inlays and overlays are Elephant hide. Man that elephant is seriously tough. I couldn't scratch it if I tried. It was still pretty easy to work with though. The altoids tin pouch is removable and could be mounted to a pack if needed as well. The top of the Esse fire steel also unscrews and will hold more kit as needed. All in all I really like the way it turned out so far. Still have to put the dangler loop on the back but mostly ready for action.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Dave. Still not on your level but there is always more to learn.
    RClark, I do a few here and there. Here are a few I have pics of right now. These pics have been up already but I'll repost them for you to check out.

Top Bottom