• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Lets conduct an experiment...a thought experiment...

Lets pretend that all governing bodies are going to shut down tomorrow, never to return. Short notice, I know!

There will be no protection of anything, aside from what each person can provide for themselves and their own families.

There will be no authority as we currently know it, anything goes, good or bad.

The question I pose is this:

Who is the first person you'd murder? Rape? Steal from?

At the risk of contaminating my own experiment, I'm going to give my hypothesis:
    We wont get a single serious answer that names someone they'd actually plan to kill.
    At the same time, the people that so passionately advocate a ruling body will point to the fact that everyone needs to be controlled because otherwise, murder, rape, theft, etc will just run unchecked throughout the land.

But, yet, I've never been able to find a single person who said they'd start killing people...

Dont get me wrong, I know it would happen. I mean, it happens now, with rules in place. But I really think the fearful thought of not having the warm, cozy protection of our government is irrational and misguided.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I would start pointing my gun at people for no reason. Then I would shoot at people's homes without hitting the people. The roads would immediately disappear. I would drive my car on the sidewalk while drunk, let my grass grow 2 feet tall, and become a meth addict. Then I would start building biological weapons in my basement right next to our Thomas the Train table because anarchy.

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I would start pointing my gun at people for no reason. Then I would shoot at people's homes without hitting the people. The roads would immediately disappear. I would drive my car on the sidewalk while drunk, let my grass grow 2 feet tall, and become a meth addict. Then I would start building biological weapons in my basement right next to our Thomas the Train table because anarchy.

Ok, so one serious answer...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The question I pose is this:

Who is the first person you'd murder? Rape? Steal from?
    At the same time, the people that so passionately advocate a ruling body will point to the fact that everyone needs to be controlled because otherwise, murder, rape, theft, etc will just run unchecked throughout the land.

But, yet, I've never been able to find a single person who said they'd start killing people...

Dont get me wrong, I know it would happen. I mean, it happens now, with rules in place. But I really think the fearful thought of not having the warm, cozy protection of our government is irrational and misguided.

That's because most rational people with a basic understanding of science and philosophy believes in at least what atheist Christopher Hitchens acknowledged near the end of his life (in a debate with David Berlinski, now to be fair to Hitch he was dying) a "World Spirit" that one may be held accountable to...

People don't rape, murder, or steal because they are afraid of the laws of man or government....They do not do it because there is something inside of us that tells us "What's done in the dark shall be shown in the light".....Does that mean murder, rape, and theft doesn't happen? Of course not, but it does mean the folks that do it know it's wrong and there is a possibility they may pay for it one day...As John Lennon once famously sang, "Instant Karma's gonna get you.."

You don't have to read the Bible to get that...Just read Poe's "The Tell Tale Heart".....

I know of no person who has "the fearful thought of not having the warm, cozy protection of our government" but maybe we hang around a different crowd...I may go to an Occupy/Anonymous protest to see if I can find one of those folks you are talking about....There seems to be quite a few of them there.....

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    tumblr_inline_nb08x4Ccie1sbr5lv.jpg

I don't plan on murdering, raping, or stealing because I was brought up to respect morals and not solely require the law to coerce me to act in an appropriate manner in society.

At it's most primal we do not perform these activities because to do so tacitly admits that if we are comfortable performing these acts on others, then we accept that others are able to perform these acts on us.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Will you use Thomas the Train as the delivery system for your biological weapons or is that just coincidence?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Except, you know, a bunch of people right here on INGO who think the world would end without reams of government regulations,

They do not seem "fearful" to me....I know of not one that seeks "the warm, cozy protection of our government" with the exception of a splinter sect of the Libertarian Party that seems to want Government permission for everything.....Rather than be free they want Government to "bless" their freedom by laws and Supreme Court decisions....

The gay marriage debate was a perfect example...Marriage is in the eyes and hearts of the two people involved and yet we had supposed "freedom loving people" that only believed marriage could be real if it is sanctioned and condoned by the Government...And cheered and celebrated when the Government got involved....

I believe marriage is between a man and a woman but if the supreme court had not ruled in favor of gay marriage and a gay couple said to me "We are married" I would take their word for it and believe them...The status of their relationship is their call..Not mine nor the Governments...

IMHO of course...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    They do not seem "fearful" to me....I know of not one that seeks "the warm, cozy protection of our government"

Everything in my post was a real life example provided by INGO members.

Kirk Freeman is afraid of long grass, Libertarian01 is afraid of Biological weapons in basements, and I can't remember who but just a couple days ago somebody was afraid of people pointing guns indiscriminately. And all favor government regulation to quell their fears.

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Foreign countries would be colonizing us like crazy. What ever freedom you thought you had would be short lived.

IBTL

IBBH

~

Those governments are gone too.

Besides, we are the living, breathing result of exactly that! Pretty nice, eh? What is there to be afraid of?

(Be careful about how you respond to this, it might be a trap)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OK, I see the point being made. No, the absence of government would not set me on a mission of rape, pillage, murder, plunder, and mayhem. The problem with standing on this is that in the absence of antisocial persons within our population, and every population on the planet, there would be no need for worrying about defense of ourselves, our communities, or our countries.

If government disappears from the face of the planet at 07:00 tomorrow, it would not change the way I treat others, with the possible exception of those who engage in injurious behaviors under conditions in which they can hide behind the law and take advantage of it. Case in point, if you come stealing, you will not likely walk away. No recourse, no appeal, and no vindictive prosecutor who is more concerned with nailing someone to the wall for protecting himself, his family, and the accumulation of his work. The biggest problem is that those who are sufficiently lazy that they would choose not to provide for themselves, who would indulge in rape, who would indulge in murder for the sheer hell of it, all of a sudden are on the loose unrestrained, so I would have to be ready to take care of business when, not if, the need arises.

On the other hand, this might not be such a bad deal in contrast with having to have some form of official permission to do most anything including getting taxed either through a forced sale or a penalty/not a tax/it really is a tax on breathing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Except, you know, a bunch of people right here on INGO who think the world would end without reams of government regulations,

Very true. I am amazed at the times I have seen people who would appear natural candidates to support the cause of liberty turn out ot be hard-core statists who simply want cutouts for a personal preference or two rather than actual .gov can go pound sand in the absence of a victim-harming crime liberty.

Top Bottom