• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KreatorOfSorrow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Peru, IN
    Lets hear last years big fish lies---I mean stories, lol. I'll start. I was fishing in the Mississinewa river, throwing a Skitter pop for small mouth. Nothin better than watching the strike go airborn right away. Anyway, was all alone, so no way to even prove it. But on my first cast that day I hooked a smallmouth that was quite sizable. I have one 5lbs 2 oz mounted from tennessee. And it was every bit the same sized fish. Walked around fightin him on 6lb test, had him right in front of me, as I waded out after him, reached down to lip him, and the popper magically floated out of his mouth and he casually swam away. Heartbreaking -.-

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Near the end of October I was fishing Sullivan Lake at the north end by the road. I was casting a small spinner on an ultralite with 4lb line. Something took it but I have no idea what it was. It put up a fight but never surfaced. Thought I was going to get it in the boat but it got back in the rocks and the lure came out. Whatever it was put the ultralite through it's paces. I switched rods and continued fishing. Went under the road to the north side and the first cast resulted in a 13in crappie. Sad to say but that is the biggest crappie I've pulled out of that lake.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Camping along Whitewater river near West Harrison Indiana. I had just bought my son a new "spiderman" fishing pole. I was teaching him how to cast.

The pole came with a little red plastic fish about 3 inches by 2 inches attached to the line. Just for demonstration purposes I left it on and threw it out in the river.

As soon as it hit the top of the water something came up broke water and ran with it until the line was completely ripped out. Which doesn't take much for a childrens pole.

I have no idea what it was but it was BIG. My wife was speechless and I think the only thing I muttered was "What the **ck".

My best guess is a Muskie from Brookeville. The violence the fish exhibited breaking water and just running out the line until it ripped out was simply incredible.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Last summer my family and another went fishing at Beaver lake. Since we had all the kids with us I was only using ultra lights for crappi or brim. There was some others guys there hitting the bass pretty hard but weren't having any luck. About an hour into it my bobber went under and the fight was on. After fighting for about 5 minutes I was able to land a 16 inch large mouth on a 4 foot pole using 2 pound line. The guys that were bass fishing were shaking there heads as they walked back to there truck and left. We ended up catching about 50 crappi and brim that day which was pretty good considering we had 8 kids with us.

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    Not sure if you have ever fished, with a 2 year old before or not. But ice fishing with one is even more difficult given then thickness of the line and the habit of getting tangled in it (2yr old not me.) Took him friday and we caught two at the same time, you would have thought he was Davy Crockett!! He had to call everyone when he got in, kept saying I caught two fish, I caught two fish!

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last year in March me and a buddy were fishing Monroe. My buddy had his crankbait stuck on a stump close to the bank so I trolled the boat up to it. He leaned over the side and his hand slipped, and head first into the 42 degree water he goes. I laughed for a solid hour not able to fish or anything. Then later in the year we were fishing Monroe in a night tournament. I had just landed a 3lb 10oz Bass. I decided to circle back around and hit that same area again when my buddy yells he has one on. I stop just in time to hear a splash and an "ah S!@#". His pole was yanked from his hands and into the water. He was like it was HUGE and I just let him take my pole and all. I am stunded and laughing hystericaly at the same time. He is all mad never going to fish again. I am giving him crap telling him he probably just cost us the tour. Well it turns out that his line had got wrapped around the trolling motor and what he thought was a fish turned out to be a 71lb thrust trolling motor. I still give him :poop:.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Near the end of October I was fishing Sullivan Lake at the north end by the road. I was casting a small spinner on an ultralite with 4lb line. Something took it but I have no idea what it was. It put up a fight but never surfaced. Thought I was going to get it in the boat but it got back in the rocks and the lure came out. Whatever it was put the ultralite through it's paces. I switched rods and continued fishing. Went under the road to the north side and the first cast resulted in a 13in crappie. Sad to say but that is the biggest crappie I've pulled out of that lake.

I caught an 18-20" crappie up on Koontz Lake years back. Bad thing was, we were in a bass tournament. Sucked throwing a pretty nice fish back.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This is an old story...
    My friend and I went to Tri-Lakes Trout fishing at night like usual. We sat and caught only a couple all night which was unusual. Suddenly my friends pole almost goes over the side and he has a big one on, 30 minutes later we finally get a glimpse of the biggest trout we had ever seen by the lantern light.
    This Trout was so big every time I tried to net it only half the fish would fit into the net and it would flop out. My friend got so frustrated that he grabbed his line to try and land the fish, all I could get out was Noooooo! and the fish twisted its head and snapped the line. :-(

exodus125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    alst year I took a fishing trip with my wife, father in law and brother in law to the ten thousand islands in south Florida. We got a buddy to drop us off at an island to fish all night and he would pick us up the next morning. We were sahrk fishing at around 2AM when a park ranger boat came on to the island, guys fully dressed in guile suits and night vision goggles. They start to scream at us, telling us to put our hands up. We took our dog with us and one of the guys tells my brother in law " CONTROL YOUR DOG!" GET YOUR DOG" The dog was happy as a clam to see the rangers and was wagging her tail and going up to them to greet them. My brother in law kept trying to get her but every time he got near the rangers they would yell. WHAT ARE YOU DOING! DONT COME ANY CLOSER!. After a few minutes of ALMOST getting TAZED, he finally managed to grab the dog. They questioned us about us being on the island, we said we were jsut fishing. While all of this was going on my father in law was fighting a large shark and he ended up having to break the line. They gave us a fine for having the dog on the island, I guess it wasnt allowed at a non camp site. Even though in the map we had it was makred as a camp site. Anyways, after they left noone wanted to even fish so everyone went to sleep. I stayed fishing for a while and caught a few fish. I joined everyone else for a quick cat nap before the sun rose. Then I was up again. I tied a white bucktail jig and started to fish with no luck. I had what felt like a few lady fish swipe on the jig, but no hook ups. I start to walk around and find some new promising spots. Everyone else was packing up, getting ready to leave. Hear my wife cry out, " don't go too far!" :rolleyes:

I then make what would have been my last cast.

Im fishing with 10lb power pro tossing about a 1/2 oz jig, so I can fling it quite a distance. I toss the jig as far as I can parallel to the shore. I give the jig a few yanks and see a really nice boil, almost too far to see what it is. All I feel is dead weight at first, then the tail comes up. Its a nice red.

The area I was fishing was an oyster bar and I had hooked the fish in somewhat deeper water. But there was really shallow water between me and the fish. I knew the fish could snap the line on the oysters if it swam any deeper and got a bad angle on me. But luckily. It ran parallel to shore and I was able to walk out to it. It put up a very memorable fight and it tried its hardest to shake that jig loose, but it was hooked good.

The jig was a little torn up from me bouncing it through the barnacles, but the redfish didn't seem to care too much.

P1000248.jpg

P1000249.jpg

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nice Red!

Fishing South Florida is where it's at! I've fished the Everglades, Biscayne Bay and tarpon under the bridges at night. Caught some nice fish, including a 53" barracuda on light tackle and a few nice bonefish on the flats. Never was able to get on a good red or snook while in the Glades, did get a few specks though. I'm definitly ready to make a trip back! :D

Top Bottom