• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dolphinfanfoor

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I have always wanted to own the same gun that Srg. Riggs and John Mclain carried in some of the best action films in the 80's......

Now I know that they both had the Beretta 92 F but its kinda hard to find. But I did see a brand new 92FS for $579 .

a) is this a good weapon? all the reviews I have read and seen on youtube claim its one of the best around.

b) is that a fair price?

This wont be a carry gun cause I know its on the big side. More of home protection and target shooting.

thx :ar15:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    For many, the 92FS is a go to gun and even as their EDC. I CC'd the M9 as a duty sidearm for quite a while as an MP Investigator in the Army. It's proven itself pretty durable and reliable in military service over the years.

It's not my preference, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that you feel good with it and can shoot it well.

I've not priced one, but $579 new, especially these days, seems pretty decent to me.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I carried an M9a1 (built in rail) as a duty weapon for a time and carried it off duty. It's concealable WITH A GOOD BELT AND GOOD HOLSTER. I loved mine. I got crap for it being a "lethal weapon" gun, but whatever... I still qualified better than most of the dept. Ha! If you like it, buy it, and practice. I never had issues with the safety or any of that. It's a great firearm with beretta mags used.

Right now $579 isn't bad, but most other times, you can find a std. 92fs for cheaper. I probably wouldn't pay over $540 for a brand new one.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    A few items for the 92fs... stick with just beretta brand mags for reliability. You can get them plenty cheap. Also, the trigger return spring has broken on them before. It doesn't make the gun inoperable as you can manually reset the trigger. Lone Wolf makes a nice drop in unit that fixes that. It's extremely rare, but has happened on higher round count guns.

Beretta now sells kits to turn std 92fs into all metal guns, replacing all the plastic parts... that might be something look at also. A lot of guys feel better getting rid of the plastic coated parts on them, but it is by no means required. Buy it and enjoy! I love the lines of an m9.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Supposedly there was some accident where the slide cracked and came off in a 92f. They fixed the problem by enlarging a hammer pin and renamed the gun the 92fs. Basically the same gun but a little safer. Later (correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will) they found it was actually an issue with the type of ammo or round that was in the gun, and that the 92f was actually a safe gun.

I am a die hard Sig fan (no pun intended reference the thread topic) and I love my Sig 226 Blackwater Tactical. I don't shoot it very much, so I have been looking at other guns that are cheaper and that I can put a bunch of rounds through at the range. The 92FS caught my eye because like Sig they are heavier and not all polymer like most guns these days. Not ideal for carrying, but when it comes to accuracy and follow up shots at the range, I love nothing more than a heavier gun. My local gunshop has a M9A1 sitting there for 699. So tempting.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Supposedly there was some accident where the slide cracked and came off in a 92f. They fixed the problem by enlarging a hammer pin and renamed the gun the 92fs. Basically the same gun but a little safer. Later (correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will) they found it was actually an issue with the type of ammo or round that was in the gun, and that the 92f was actually a safe gun.

I am a die hard Sig fan (no pun intended reference the thread topic) and I love my Sig 226 Blackwater Tactical. I don't shoot it very much, so I have been looking at other guns that are cheaper and that I can put a bunch of rounds through at the range. The 92FS caught my eye because like Sig they are heavier and not all polymer like most guns these days. Not ideal for carrying, but when it comes to accuracy and follow up shots at the range, I love nothing more than a heavier gun. My local gunshop has a M9A1 sitting there for 699. So tempting.

I loved the M9a1s flared magwell and front/backstrap grip (much better than the standard 92fs). I will be getting another someday.

As for the slide breakage... yes, that was an eternity ago when SEALS were testing them with very hot SMG ammo loads after their initial entry into the military. Slides were redesigned with a larger hammer pin along with a different way of heating the slides, supposedly making it very hard to crack them. I've never heard of a catastrophic m9 failure. And they are shot to death in the military. They were originally meant to be regularly replaced as they have aluminum frames, unlike the 1911s they replaced. But, that never happened, so you have 20 year old m9s still in service.

You can't go wrong with one. Oh, and if you get a 92fs, a crack will appear where the hammer meets the pin on the back of the slide. THAT IS NORMAL. It's a relief built into the fs guns for the safety. It shows after some rounds. There is a running joke on Welcome to the Beretta Forum about it. That is a great forum to visit to find slightly used/new 92fs pistols for cheap also.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Have a 92FS and love it. Been extremely reliable. So far it has handled any 9mm I have fed it. I would switch out to the "D" spring. So far it is the one gun I plan to keep for a long time. (There will probably be others, just haven't bought them yet.)

That price is good in this market. Picked up mine for $549 months ago. Have seen them for over $600 with FFL fees on top of that.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I love my 92FS. If you aren't opposed to buying used they sell for $450 usually used. Magazines are cheap for it too. Buy Checkmates, PB Beretta, Mec-gars, and MDS magazines without worry.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    the reason I ask is I was told buy a friend on facebook to only get the one made in Italy

The only difference is the stamping on the sides of the gun. Some argue the finish on the Italian guns is nicer but since I haven't even held a US made version of this firearm I can't vouch for that. All the important stuff though is the exact same.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    IMO, the only good Beretta has two barrels mounted one above the other...

And you would be wrong... but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

As for the US v Italy... they are the same gun. Beretta went back to straight dustcovers a few years ago, so they are definitely the same gun now.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've shot a hand full of them, and a few of there 40 S&W cousins. Not bad guns by any means, there are just other guns that work much better for me. If you enjoy them I think they are plenty reliable, and accurate enough for serious use, but I think they would be a bit on the big side for CC personally.

dolphinfanfoor

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I've shot a hand full of them, and a few of there 40 S&W cousins. Not bad guns by any means, there are just other guns that work much better for me. If you enjoy them I think they are plenty reliable, and accurate enough for serious use, but I think they would be a bit on the big side for CC personally.

thank you.....I agree . I will not be getting it for a CC weapon. Just for home protection and target shooting. ( I mean it has to be accurate, I seen this one guy shoot a freaking happy face on a target from over 50 yrds!) lmao

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    As an Army Medic, this was my issue sidearm. Accurate, reliable, easy to field strip for cleaning, safety w/decocker, decent sights and, as others have posted, reasonably priced if bought used. My personal favorite 9mm is my H&K P7, but it is for all the reasons you listed PLUS cc.

Top Bottom